Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Burial Ever  (Read 2729 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Best Burial Ever
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:40:36 pm »

As everyone knows, dwarves are master engineers. They perform architectural feats of mindboggling complexity and seeming impossibility, and are defiant against the laws of physics to the very last.

So, I made a world to test some mods I made, and to see what was causing a glitch, but before I could begin my experiment, I saw a site with a volcano on a glacier. I couldn't resist. The dwarves set out from the Bold Axe, out into the frozen wastes to claim this natural wonder.

And so 'Lulldoctrine' (damn random names!) was founded. The harsh trek was over, and it seemed the beginning of a mighty home forged against impossible odds of the both the very fires of the mountain and the cold, cruel (though admittedly serene) ice itself.

It seemed so, anyway.

But alas! Tragedy struck. I decided to breach the obsidian walls of the crater and let the lava hollow out the glacier. But the miner, probably seeking relief from the cold, fell into the lava in the new channel. He could have jumped out, but the lava cooled into rock when the melting ice touched it. The other miner, her lover, was sent to recover the corpse. I thought it couldn't get worse, but I was wrong. He dug a channel nearby and waded in icemelt to dig out his fallen lover. As he stepped in, though, the ice refroze, entombing him aswell. With no diggers left, the fort had to be abandoned.

I could not let the valiant, though hilariously brief, efforts of the couple end in such a shameful burial. So a reclaim was launched, and a fresh team arrived. I surmised that they must be honored in the most dwarven way possible: with a big middle finger to the laws of physics.

Here's the best part.
The charred bones and frozen remains were recovered, and placed into coffins, one of rhyollite and one of the very obsidian she died in. More obsidian was carefully mined, and a statue was constructed (which was of dwarves laboring, relating to the founding of Lulldoctrine in 11 by the Vestibule of Dales) of it, as well as a coffer. Then a tomb made of pure ice was constructed, hanging over the crater of the volcano and suspended by a single floor. After everything was inside and the door sealed, the single floor was knocked out, plunging the tomb into the volcano and to the bottom of the earth. So badass is dwarven construction that the tomb did not melt, a final gesture of defiance to reality.

With their mission accomplished, the burial team abandoned Lulldoctrine forever.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:42:28 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Burial Ever
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:20:05 pm »

Give the world save i want to start a succesion game along these lines but have failed to get this kind of phenomena.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:37:29 am »

Ok. I made a backup copy of the world because of all the awesome features I found. But the file where I made that tomb was deleted, because I wanted to get on with the experiment and didn't have room in my save dir. to make another copy.

You can still have the unplayed world. But be warned that it's a bit modded.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:44:28 am »

Which mods?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:09:12 am »

My own. 2 new races, Sarmin and Edru.

Sarmin are fully playable, and live in mountain halls in good mountains. They're kinda like archeopteryx people, so they can fly. They have both above ground and below ground farming and use any nearby animals as pets. They're probably easier to play, but only if you want. They have a bunch of little civs around the world (only 10 years of history), but the 2 dwarf civs are bigger. Be aware that if your peeps can fly they act weird. They need a place to be accessible by foot to path there, but will fly thru the shortest path to get to it. All walls should have a pedestrian way down or the Sarmin tend to fly up to the top and get stuck.

Edru are only playable as outsiders in adventure mode. They're mushroom people that heal fast and live in large villages in wetlands. They're not likely to contact you, though.

Also, 1 new megabeast: Sethel-Garoram, which means "Serpent to destroy the world." Gargantuan snake that lives in deserts, but none seem to have spawned in this world.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:27:38 pm »

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 02:03:32 pm »

it says missing: ITEM_AMMO_BULLETS whenever i try to open it after updating to phoebus what do you think i should do.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 02:12:32 pm »

Never generate e new world, EVER. Dwarves must make artifacts in remembrance of these events for all of eternity.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 03:38:45 pm »

it says missing: ITEM_AMMO_BULLETS whenever i try to open it after updating to phoebus what do you think i should do.

Crap, forgot about that. I made some guns for arena mode only. Do you use a graphics set? That might be the problem

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 03:41:10 pm »

okay what should i remove because it stops me from actually doing anything.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »

See if you can either disable graphics, or add in an entry for bullets.

EDIT: I was able to download and run it on another comp without problem. See if we can get someone else to test it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:19:12 pm by HugoLuman »

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 06:36:15 pm »

I grabbed it, it seems to work with Ironhands graphics pack straight out of the box.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 06:46:42 pm »

Really? it was really testy about modded in weapons and races.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 09:08:53 pm »

I grabbed it, it seems to work with Ironhands graphics pack straight out of the box.

That's encouraging. Ahrimahn, what mods do you have?
It should be noted that my mod changes all PET_EXOTIC to PET, to make up for the fact that u can't get a dungeon master. Doesn't change what animals Dwarves can embark with, though.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:12 pm »

Phoebus, Lazy New Pack, and DFusion occasionally Dig Deeper but not currently.
Pages: [1] 2