Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: From the desk of URIST.  (Read 689 times)

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
From the desk of URIST.
« on: April 29, 2011, 03:22:37 pm »

I am Urist Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a dwarf not entitled to colonize the land of his dreams? No, said the elves, it belongs to nature. No, says the human, it belongs to everyone, No says the goblin, it belongs to US. ...Instead, i chose something different.

You can probally see where this is going. It probally has been done before, but i feel like i should do it anyway. I chose to colonize the ocean.

I found a nice embark (haven't embarked yet) which i think looks pretty much like the embark below, pretty standard aquifer-sandy-beach-warm-ocean many trees biome. Like a dwarven paradise, save for the probally murderous wildlife and aquifer. Actually, a dwarven paradise would have an ocean of magma, but, yeah...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And then comes the idea...

And the results that should be but will probally differ..

However, the fort still needs a name, the group still needs a name, and i have no idea what material to make this thing out that could possibly survive a freefall like this. Maybe drop the building Z-level by z-level down? And won't wood deconstruct when collapsed/caved in?
Does glass? (Even though glass would be alot of effort and burned trees, i find it pretty dwarfy.)

Any other advice or things i should know?

Maybe later on drop a second building right next to it?

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the desk of URIST.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:26:02 pm »

Genius!  I may have to try this as well at some point.  Good luck and let us know!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 03:28:09 pm »

Nice.

Try flooding the land after you're safe underwater.

Bonus points if you do this with the magma sea later.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 03:29:11 pm »

Constructed walls revert to their original materials when they fall.  You'll have a pile of glass/stone/wood blocks on the floor of the ocean.  The only way to make this work is by pouring magma on the ocean to create natural stone obsidian walls.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 03:36:44 pm »

So that's what happened to Rapture--a tantrum spiral!

Also, what Sphalerite said.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 03:37:26 pm »

Constructed walls revert to their original materials when they fall.  You'll have a pile of glass/stone/wood blocks on the floor of the ocean.  The only way to make this work is by pouring magma on the ocean to create natural stone obsidian walls.

Yep. If you could somehow do this with natural walls, it would work. You'll probably want to cast some magma over the ocean to drop in.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 03:39:01 pm »

Unfortunately constructions get destroyed by cave-ins, so all you'd end up with is a bunch of rubble at the bottom of the ocean. Cast obsidian works wonders though, but you'd probably want a magma pipe for that. Another option is to simply drain the ocean, either with a massive pumping operation (very dwarfy) or cheat and connect it to the aquifer at which point all the water will get sucked into oblivion (along with your fps) due to aquifers' water absorbing properties (also dwarfy).

A fourth option is to go through the aquifer directly with a cave-in plug, but that's the easy and sensible approach. Blech.

Ninjas! Ninjas everywhere!

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 03:39:52 pm »

Oi, thats going to be a bit more difficult then, especially since i never succesfully got magma up in the first place.

Well, there's always a first time!

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 03:46:58 pm »

Curses, so close to the easy way out.

EDIT:

EXPERIMENT ONE FAILED, the ocean froze and unfroze with some constructions on the ice, and the game crashed. Did some stubborn collapsing the walls to but indeed, magma is always the answer, and in this case the only one.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:49:48 pm by IcarusOne »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 05:13:28 pm »

New approach: if the ocean freezes, there's another thing you could try. Wait for it to freeze, dig down, and wall off a section of the ocean. Do with your walled-off section as you wish, creating what you wanted to. Not as cool as dropping a massive carved block of obsidian into the ocean, but it works.

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 05:19:30 pm »

Was trying that before it unfroze, but it didnt feel right. Especially since being surrounded by ice instead of shark infested water with rotting elf corpses just isn't the same :(

Going to pump magma up, tomorrow, started a fort with a little infrastructure so far and just pierced the aquifer. IcarusOne cancels DF: Interrupted by sleep.