Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anyone ever made an Orrery?  (Read 3688 times)

timesavatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone ever made an Orrery?
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:02:21 am »

I've seen some people comment on making one, but has anyone ever actually done it? I was thinking of doing it, making the model of the inner planets. I was going to try like one guy mentioned and use a magma track with hatch covers over it for the planetary orbits tracks. The best way I can think of to make the hatch covers open and close is to have a pressure plate repeater set up with as many plates as there are hatch covers. I'm thinking so many days activates this like using a normal water clock, and then each one of these plates opens one hatch and closes the one behind it. Any thoughts on making it easier or more efficient?
Sin is a joke compared to Lavos. Sin just flopped around and blew a couple of towns. Lavos exterminated the entire face of the earth and tore apart the fabric of space and time by simply existing.
DvDangerous@youtube

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever made an Orrery?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 07:37:57 am »

One could theoretically make an orrery with a goblin tracking the planet. After capture, goblins always path seeking to escape to the edge of the map. You could fill a circular area with nothing but lever-linked doors or floodgates and hook them all up to a repeater, so that at a certain interval, the doors would all open, the goblin would move, and then the doors would close, trapping the goblin wherever he happened to end up. Multiple exits ensure that the goblin never reaches any of them.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 09:06:12 am »

Goblin-slave powered orrery? I approve of this.
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:52:15 am »

I'd say use the goblin as the hidden regulator, with him running on a circular track of pressure plates. When he is on the west side of the track, a door on the east side opens, and vice versa; additionally, two more doors exist to prevent reversing. All these pressure plates are then hooked up to the display level above. Each pressure plate below connects to one floodgate directly above it. When viewed, one gate would close, becoming visible, then open as the next one activates.

Problem: The gate might not cycle fast enough, and would get stuck in one state or another.

Perhaps hatches are faster.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »

does anyone know how many steps are in a game year, so we can do the math for how long of a period each planets orbit will have?

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:02:16 pm »

does anyone know how many steps are in a game year, so we can do the math for how long of a period each planets orbit will have?
Well to start, how many steps are in a day?
Then how many days in a month?
Multiply those two together, multiply the result by 12, and you have A FRACKING HUGE NUMBER FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:09:32 pm »

I won't lie; I had to look up what an "Orrery" was. Now that I know, it sounds like an awesome idea.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »

I won't lie; I had to look up what an "Orrery" was. Now that I know, it sounds like an awesome idea.
Me too.

One problem with this thread: THERE ARE MILLIONS OF WORLDS AND DIMENSIONS.

lol.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:45 pm »

According to the wiki, one year in Fortress Mode is equal to 403, 200 time units.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 11:30:12 pm »

thats exactly the article i was looking for earlier.  odd that years in df are shorter than real years.  either the planet orbits faster or spins slower.  perhaps you cant assume that the four inner planets have orbital periods resembling those in our world.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 11:33:23 pm »

thats exactly the article i was looking for earlier.  odd that years in df are shorter than real years.  either the planet orbits faster or spins slower.  perhaps you cant assume that the four inner planets have orbital periods resembling those in our world.
There are over one million planets and dimensions.

There might be a lil difference.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 12:11:49 am »

You might want to check out this repeater design. They can be used nicely for accurate clocks.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 01:42:11 am »

Once moving fortress parts are in, I fully plan on using a procedural planet system generator to create a system which I will then do my damnedest to simulate with moving fortress parts.  The central star? Magma.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 01:51:37 am »

perhaps if you have any seasonally changing fortress elements, you could place the trigger for them at a certain point on a track in the orrery, and have a cool automated fortress ala anathem. maybe in a temperate biome, for a stupid dwarf trick, you could have an artificial lake that you drain into an underground frost proof cistern every winter (bonus points if the winter gate is in the bottom of the lake, and it automatically opens as it is exposed and all fortress traffic goes through it for the winter), and then pump it back after spring thaw (automatically shutting the floodgates on the winter gate, of course). 
Pages: [1] 2 3