Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting Characters  (Read 1470 times)

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
Interesting Characters
« on: April 29, 2011, 03:50:08 am »

I just spent the last half hour pestering a dwarf slave named Mafol Udosfikod by saying "Tell me about your family" over and over and compiling the story in a text file every time she said something new. The reason I did this is because she's the first dwarf slave I've ever seen, and as soon as I started interviewing her her family history was revealed as quite violent and grim. Half of her family has been struck down by something or other, one of her aunts and several of her siblings were kidnapped by a goblin/human/dwarven civilization, then later killed during a battle at the site of Hexturmoil with the human civilization that now owns her. One of her kidnapped sisters was even killed by another dwarf, and her aunt Zulban was kind of a badass. The battle occurred about 25 years previously, in the early spring of 100, and the only news she gives of family members after that date is of her un-victimized siblings settling down and getting married in dwarfy-sounding sites. Because I'm a nerdly history kind of person, I plan on making a family tree and fleshing out the extrafamilial characters later, but for now my question is: not counting ultra-badass characters like Cacame The King, have you ever met a character in adventure mode that you found very interesting, which helped you explore the history of a world better, etc.?
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

kissa3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Characters
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:37:22 am »

I one found a lord, who's relatives, dedicated they're lives to kill a plains titan. The titan had slain 147, including lords aunt, grandpa, brother, and uncle. Even though lord was human, he had elvish wit, so instead of charging into the battle like hes relatives, he hired me :)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:50:00 am »

I once came across a high master swordsman in a backwater hamlet in a swamp. He hired me to kill a night creature that lived nearby. I killed it using Sand-Fu and came back to brag about it. After hiring him I asked him about his family out of sheer curiosity, "My aunt... I don't want to talk about it."
Interesting.
I saved and then checked the legends. The night creature was his aunt but it's all good because she killed his wife ten years before I arrived. Further delving revealed that his only child was killed in a Minotaur attack before he killed it and he had led multiple attacks against an elven nation. Kill count 23.

Tragic backstory to a hero that lasted through 20+ quests and the main reason I kept that hero for so long. It ended when we burned up in a bushfire. Moral of the story: always check what the mods you're installing do.

Alizarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:43:27 pm »

I recently came across the daughter of a Lady who had survived an attack on her by... I believe it was a titan? I can't really remember though, but I'm pretty sure that it was a titan who attacked her. I knew she survived because she was in the same room as her brother, whom I was talking to at the time.
The Bull headbutt's the Minotaur in the buttocks, bruising the muscle and shattering the lower spine's bone and tearing the nervous tissue through the cow leather trousers!
The Minotaur slams into an obstacle!
http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/japanbullart.jpg

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:56:51 pm »

I once had a really unusual world, where almost every hamlet had at least one "historical figure", who could tell me about their family... Even just peasants etc.
And also in almost every tiny village, all across the world, they told me of how the slate-grey demon who ruled the goblin civilization had killed all their relatives... :o
So I set out to kill him! ...Yes, it went badly. Over the course of several adventurers and their allies, they bumped up his kill list by at least a hundred. :P
THEN, I used DFusion to possess him, and went on a rampage slaughtering people all across the world, and arming his followers with loot. :D I'll get screenshots later.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Zealot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 08:00:51 pm »

I encountered a multicultural bandit group that included Goblins Elves and Humans

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 03:06:51 pm »

I once encountered a two year old orphan.
His older brother died from dragonfire, and his parents starved to death.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:50:48 pm »

the only wierd thing i had happen to me was making my elf chick become a lesbian.

I visited a fort where there was a lady whose husband had died. She took a consort (not uncommon) but it was a lady consort (i looked at the description and it said she, so the lady wasn't whose consort she was) After talking to her, she said she wanted adventure, so i got her to follow me, and my legendary elf chick became a lesbo.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 07:28:46 pm »

So once upon a time I met a young girl who asked me to kill a night creatures. As I was leaving she said something along the lines of "Wait! That night creature was my mother! Kill her gently." So naturally I felt I should kill it for her. After I came back I found the girl and told her. Afterwards I asked about her family, after her mother became a night creature she killed the young girls Father, brother, brother, brother, brother, brother... and brother. It was fairly depressing and apparently her grandpa was the one who kidnapped her mother, AND her grandma was killed by a minotaur who attacked the city the young girl lived in three years ago.

mars7a

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 07:50:04 pm »

If you recruit slaves, and killed the slave owner, would the slaves attack you?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:06:41 pm »

Something I found:

I found a companion, who was a prisoner locked up in an abandoned castle. I looked at him with Runecraft and apparently he's classified as a demon and is almost 800 years old. He's pretty badass, with level 14 fighting skills. He also seems to have some venomous cloud attack. Anyway, while on the way to a task he kept constantly chasing after every creature we saw. However, after killing the monster I noticed he didn't help in the fight. I've now traveled around a bit and been in several fights and he only follows me around and never performs any actions. I've checked him, he has no wounds or crippled limbs, not surprising as he generally just mauled the crap out of everything that ever got near him without getting touched. How can I fix him? He's way too awesome to just follow me around doing nothing.

Any way to make your companions not go berserk on every bunny, horse, bird, etc. that you see?

Second, I've visited some 9 different human hamlets and such and I simply cannot fight a shopkeeper to sell my loot. Where can they be found?
After fighting some 12 enemies, I was bumped out of travel mode by a Troll. And soon discovered that suddenly my buddy is once again fighting since as I write this he is.. gnawing on the Troll's eyelid. Hehehe, next few rounds he was shaking the Troll around by the eyelid, ouch! I was hacking at it from behind, and then he punched it's lower arm off and it bled to death. Awesome.

The enemies I was fighting when he wasn't helping were human bandits and 2 goblins.. Maybe some odd bug that worked itself out - or for some reason he won't fight those?

Well.. I just found what ended up being 7 or 8 stocked up shops. The good/bad news is the town appears to be abandoned so no shop keepers. Oh well, I guess I should go help myself to the goodies...

:)

This one's also good:

I should start with the background.

It's a Medium-genned world to year 550 that uses Genesis. With it comes a lot of variations from vanilla; orcish empires being one of them. The Poetic Empires is one of two orcish civilizations, I think. I started out as a demigod katana-wielding Orc and toured the countryside for quests of fame and glory. The Poetic Empires lie in the south-west corner of the world, a sunscarred peninsula of prairies. As I travelled Id' learn that the peninsula was hardly only under orcish control. "Keepers", i.e. common humans, controlled a large part of it, and the only real tangible orcish presence was several hamlets and some towns on the isthmus of the peninsula. There were also some ezrakim elf civilization on the southern edge of it, and the northern part was a wasteland. (Where I happened to find a proper cave with connection to the underground! Yoy!)

Talking with the keepers who I quickly got friendly with, I learned that their capital didn't even lie on the peninsula itself, but far east on the mainland. Hm... Wierd. That they would expand so unexpectedly. But anyways, I digress!

A lot of stuff is strange in this world, I'd learn as a made it east to the mainland. On the mainland there is supposed to exist a demonic (goblin-esque) civilization that the orcish Poetic Empires have warred against ad infinitum. Really, the Legends tell only of incredible victories on the orcish side.
I don't think I saw a town, hamlet or village that wasn't completely devoid of life. Ghost towns, really! There were fortresses, though. I remembered that one was empty of sapient life, but that warthogs and other animals lived inside the walls. One was full of naked wrestlers that kept spawning ex nihilo, but that wasn't unique for that region. I saw a fortress like that on the peninsula, but with keepers. Some fortresses had been overtaken by a snakeman civ with its capital far to the north. They were very happy to give me assassination quests on the other snakeman lords in the area. I think they said something about "Sometimes animals just get out of control." Nice.

After looking through Legends and world sites.txt. it seems as if the demon civ have been attacked and pillaged over 9000 times, much owing to The Poetic Empires. If I'm reading the txt. correctly, there is only 25 demons left in this civilization. And I think I've already killed three of them in one of their hidden dark fortresses.

One peculiar thing popped up. The Poetic Empires are apparently holding two prisoners. Both of them demonic. I made my way back to Steamward, a fortress that held one of them. Seemingly normal fort. Orc warriors abound, I made my way into the main building. One orcish axeman, one orcish lord, and one... dark elven prisoner! Cool! But she flashed the same way that the lord did, oddly enough. I talked first to the lord, who behaved as an orc of his stature should. Return quest, get another, yay. The prisoner told me that her name was Ozud Wickedcontain, Prisoner. When I asked her about her profession she told me she was general. *The* General of The Poetic Empires, who've warred against the demons since time immemorial. The irony was tangible. She also asked me for help to get away from here, to which I responded by running out of the fortress as quickly as I could. To my surprise, she stood outside of the fortress entrance, as if waiting for me. I shit you not, it was as if she teleported! I think she want me to take her with me...

I saved and jumped into Legends mode. She was born roughly 100 years ago. Because of the demonic law-givers incapability to survive for longer than five seconds she became the law-giver 20 years ago. The same year her home fortress got attacked by a dwarven civilization. She led the defenders, and lost. She was imprisoned by The Poetic Empires though, also in the same year. They were 5 leopards, 5 black bears and 200 orcs...
The demonic civ has been at war with the dwarves and orcs for 450 years.

So, uh, yeah. I'd hoped it'd be a pretty cool story, bro. Then again, it's not exactly verbous nor fictious. Hm. Well, further input on what I should do now is greatly appreciated! :D If anyone's interested I'll post the seeds and params (Y)
Dark elf, as a matter of fact :P Sadly, all she wears is a kimono and a black steel carving knife :/ Quite vurnerable, if I may so...

I just discovered something fantastic! There was another demonic prisoner somewhere in The Poetic Empires. I brought my companion with me to the grand capital, Spiritchasms. There was the prisoner, a goblin. Surprise, surprise! He, Osnun Hailcurse, was the emperor of the Poetic Empires. Used to be the law-giver of the demon civ, several years before the dark elf woman was. He was imprisoned the same year, and probably moment, as he ascended to the throne. Year 310, that is. He became emperor in 372. Today the year is 550... He's been around for a long time... xD He has appointed 16 nobles "as a matter of course" during his reign.

So yeah. I let him join me! I have the leader of my civilization with me on my journeys! AWESOME!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:11:33 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 11:03:50 am »

I edited Genesis' Sylvan Elves so that they lived in towns, and started a Sylvan Elf adventurer.

Found the Queen in a village, happened to look at her description and saw that her lower lip was missing. Delving into legends showed that it had been ripped off by a Dusk Troll (night creature), who'd also killed and mutilated a whole bunch of previous queens, princesses and druids from that civ. I dedicated myself to tracking down and killing the Dusk Troll.