Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 711

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1330375 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10320 on: August 22, 2022, 11:51:13 pm »

Asteros and Proteuses armor tank, their shields are meaningless. Good job getting him.

Also tell corp mate 2 to never buy a faction or Navy ship again unless it's an Astero for scanning/hacking/hunting or he has a REALLY good reason for it, tell him that if he wants to go ratting in wormholes he should be fitting out the cheapest possible ships that can run the sites.

A wormhole isn't clear or safe unless you've rolled every single connection in and out and have your eyes on the signatures window to see new spawns...and even then somebody might, conceivably, be camping covops in there and be waiting for you to feel safe.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10321 on: August 28, 2022, 02:51:07 pm »

Was going for an economic victory. Thought I was doing good with getting to 25%, with +1-2% progress each turn with taxes around 15% and about to roll out empire-wide various buildings that boost morale so I could crank taxes up.

Then I get a message that the Automatons, my allies for over half the game, were over 50% to an economic victory, and in subsequent turns gaining 2-3%. Crap. There was one thing, one thing that disputes over money completely justifies always: brutal bloody war.

Built up a few fleets using my already-advanced technology. The ships were... well they weren't too bad, just not as good as I hoped. Heavy defenses, but offensively, they were equipped with 15 top-tier lasers set for long range. This gives them a hell of a punch in the opening phase of battle, but they can't hit crap following that. Still, a devastating first strike combined with high defense means it's hard to actually kill them.

Carved a path and took their capital. Unfortunately, this didn't slow their economy down as much as I thought. Worse, I was being attacked by my other neighbor, the Pilgrims. Discovered during that fight the AI cheats and can invade your worlds even if you have a fleet in orbit.

I put everything into researching Pan-Galactic Society, the research victory. Looking at the Automatons' progress and the time to finish my research, it was going to be very close. Made peace with the Pilgrims, and kept attacking likely valuable Automaton worlds. One I hit was almost nothing but desert worlds, which are best(except for one of the gas giant types) for producing Dust(money), but it still wasn't quite enough.

Then I got an insanely lucky break: the Automatons sued for peace... and offered about a third of their entire empire. That was it. That won the game. All that was left was to just wait out the last few turns. I probably even could have waited for an economic victory, as those worlds they surrendered were bringing in massive amounts of Dust.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: August 29, 2022, 05:18:35 pm »

Biggest damage i dealt. And wildly excessive one, because biggest HP in the game is about 640.

Anamnesis

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10323 on: August 30, 2022, 04:32:50 pm »

Biggest damage i dealt. And wildly excessive one, because biggest HP in the game is about 640.

Anamnesis

Dang, how did you do that amount of damage with your main character?
Your Main must be swole.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: August 31, 2022, 07:17:24 am »

I have no idea both how and when main character becomes totally invincible or why damage was so high this particular time. Usually it was 300-400.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10325 on: August 31, 2022, 04:03:32 pm »

Defeated Omega Weapon. Used exactly zero Hero/Holy War items, and exactly zero Megalixers.

Instead, I zombified my entire party before the battle.

Spoiler: Explanation (click to show/hide)

For healing, I maxed out wind absorbtion, and just Triple-casted Tornado on myself constantly. I think by the end of the battle I had used about a hundred total Tornado spells. Defeated Omega faster than my previous run lasted; it was able to use Terra Break only once. In fact, only Squall went down once the entire battle(Light Pillar); picked him back up, and then he killed Omega with Lion Heart.

Spoiler: Another explanation (click to show/hide)

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10326 on: September 01, 2022, 02:42:54 pm »

I defeated the 3 karamuna bash reaverbots without taking a hit in the Clozer Woods subgate.

That sounds more impressive than it is though, since generally speaking, no enemy in the game knows how to deal with circle strafing.  The only thing that keeps it from being total cheese the whole time is that you can't move while locked onto enemies, and your autoaim also does not take enemy movement into account.

Now, I almost got my goose cooked fighting the Bonnes' airships afterward.  Having a bad combination of buster parts available meant the second phase was harder than I expected due to the difficulty of shooting down the missiles with a slow fire rate.

I really wish the sequel wasn't so hard to find and so expensive.  I never finished it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10327 on: September 01, 2022, 09:28:20 pm »

Defeated Omega Weapon. Used exactly zero Hero/Holy War items, and exactly zero Megalixers.

Instead, I zombified my entire party before the battle.

Huh, wasn't a zombie also considered dead for determining game over? I thought all of the other games had that condition. Same as petrified.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10328 on: September 02, 2022, 04:01:19 am »

Only in V and VI does that apply. In nearly every other game with the Zombie status, it can actually be beneficial if you play it right.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10329 on: September 02, 2022, 04:56:23 pm »

Just finished Celeste, what an great game.

Well, except for it being an idiot and constantly dashing in the wrong direction. :/
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10330 on: September 07, 2022, 06:05:30 pm »

Encountered a random pirate fleet while exploring with some 8-ish Atlas MK. IIs, about as many Eradicators, loads of Colossus MK. IIIs and a swarm of smaller ships. In all it must have been well over twice my DP in pure pirate Decisive Victory Doctrine.

Goaded a scavenger into engaging them, then deployed with them. Scavengers, unsurprisingly, got wrecked about a quarter of the way into the battle, but my fleet won it with a single ship lost, and I recovered that one after. I managed to single handedly take out two of the Atlases, a handful of Eradicators and Falcons, and a host of frigates including a handful of phase ships.

I honestly expected more losses just from them grinding down my CR, but that failed to happen.

Starsector
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10331 on: September 07, 2022, 11:12:21 pm »

On March 9, 1957, the sun dawned on the Wenchang Launch Facility of the free and united Republic of China, where a new, heavier R-5 rocket was preparing for its initial launch.  To say the rocket was a bit of a monstrosity would be an understatement.  In the haste to build a vehicle, the CSRA grabbed whatever they could find.  The third stage and scientific payload, reasonably, came from improvements intended for the very first R-1 sounding rockets that had been superseded by the R-2 and later R-3: a U-2000 kerosene/AK20 high-pressure engine.  The first stage came from a brand new engine design for 1956, an RD-211 main stage that also ran on kerosene and AK20 (historically used on the R-12 Dvina and Kosmos 2I).  The second stage is where a rocket scientist's nightmare came in.  There was a severe lack of options for gimbaled engines that could be ignited in flight.  The first of the competing options, the AJ10 engine, required the efficient but highly toxic UDMH and inhibited white fuming nitric acid (FNA with over 95% nitric acid), as well as high-pressure tanks.  After consideration and due to the time constraints, the alternative option was chosen: two S3.42T prototype first-stage engines from the military cruise missile program were borrowed for the first two R-5s.  Due to the military's requirements, these were intended for use on vehicle-mounted ground-attack rockets, and thus the hypergolic igniters could be easily adapted for the R-5's peculiar staging requirements.  Requiring only kerosene and AK27, the engine's availability and resulting standardization in fueling allowed for the rocket to be completed within half a year.  The goal was not to develop a standardized launch vehicle, though the R-5s would likely be serving as such for several years until improved launchers could be developed and built.  The primary goal from our political leaders was to get up there fast and first.

At 11:43:40 local time, countdown completed and the rocket launched.  Initial burn was stable, despite fears that the engines may have been inadequately tested.  The first stage burn continued for 2 minutes and 8 seconds, followed by separation, spin-up on the second stage, and a couple minutes of coasting before orbital insertion could begin.

At T+04:33, one minute to apogee, the second-stage ullage motors ignited, followed quickly by the main engine. 

Finally, at T+05:48, the third stage was spun up for spin-stabilization and the engine hotstaged, with separation occurring two seconds later as the second-stage engine burned out.  Orbital insertion was successful, and Jinxing 1 became the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth.  Due to lack of control over the third stage, the resulting orbit was rather chaotic: perigee is at 245.7 km, and apogee at 3,803.4 km.

Let the Soviets with their Sputnik 1 in October and Americans with their Stayputnik exploding in December wail.  Here, Chinese science reigns supreme, the crowning joy of a nation no longer at war with itself.  The golden star's radio signals our triumph to the heavens, and the incoming data from the mass spectrometer will keep the scientists happy.

Long story short: I just beat the Soviets after not playing RO-1 for some time.  But ye gods, that's a horrible franken-rocket.  Using the main engine off a Scud as a second-stage sustainer is frankly a bit weird, but I didn't want to go full historical R-7 this time (even though I did build my second launch pad to handle up to 150t), researching 1958 Orbital Rocketry for RD-0105 would have pushed me too late, I didn't want to use the American engine this time, and the British Gamma-301 couldn't be resized easily. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 11:26:13 pm by Culise »

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10332 on: September 08, 2022, 12:29:47 am »

Nice! I've been mucking around with RP-1 for a good bit. Spent a good deal of time making some historical replicas.

Lemme tell you, the Vanguard rocket sucks. There's a reason why Stayputnik is Stayputnik. After that experience I started a new campaign where I just abandon historical progression and make my own damn rockets. Much less frustrating.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10333 on: September 13, 2022, 05:13:16 pm »

My uncle, who is my rival, and also a monk, threatened to burn an artifact unless I let him have it.

I dueled him for it; which involved him throwing dirt in my face, so I threw a pouch of gold in his face, and eventually defeated him for the artifact.

I gave him the artifact, Aged Cheddar, which an ancestor got from a woman claiming to be a Viking cheese maker.

The Aged Cheddar now gives -0.1 prestige per month, but a small health bonus. Apparently it also grants stress relief depending on how long it’s aged.

I think I plan on stealing it from him at some point.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10334 on: September 14, 2022, 03:54:51 pm »

Defeated an alien overlord... with the power of music!

Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 711