Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 711

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1331538 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #8295 on: January 05, 2018, 10:09:10 pm »

Tyranids are... well, there's a reason they're considered possibly the biggest threat to the Imperium, even moreso than Chaos. Especially if the Hive Lord leading them is armed with a Venom Cannon that shoots Warp-infused bolts that do extra damage to daemons, and is set up so that all 'nids in its synapse range have a 50%(assumed) chance of doing double damage. One shot from this Venom Cannon kills multiple Chaos Space Marines, I'm guessing because it hits one guy in the face so hard a piece of his helmet breaks off and hits another in the face hard enough to kill him too. The Hive Lord is also the only hero out of all the races I've actually raised to level 10(prereq for the weapon, too).

Oh, and Carnifexes can equip Venom Cannons too. They're still considered anti-everything, even at that size.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: January 07, 2018, 05:39:22 am »

It has been a wild ride since start, buuuut-

SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: January 07, 2018, 06:35:30 am »

So the game has an issue atm where AI bots will sometimes get stuck in a spot and have slow reaction times. It became a hilarious issue yesterday when I ran into a crowd of derping bots with nothing but my knife and butchered the entire crowd of a dozen or so space marines.

EDIT:

Oh man, just had a crazy match in

So I was running a blue/white control deck with some weak flyers while my opponent was running a green/red energy deck and had an electrostatic pummeler, an aethertorch renegade, an aethersphere harvester, and a bristling hydra (which due to the pay 3 energy get +1/1 counter and hexproof ability I didn't have an answer for). I knew I couldn't let him get me down to 6 life, because then he'd just use the aethertorch renegade's ability to hit me for 6 damage and the win, so I was using my critters as "chump blockers" to keep the hydra from doing damage.

I drew a declaration in stone which I used on the aethertorch to exile it from the game, but as it was going down my opponent paid a bunch of energy to use its hit for 6 ability. But this meant that I could bounce out the hydra with my Reflector Mage and it couldn't return for a turn.
I bounced it off and he played another pummeler during his turn. I tried to push out one pummeler with Anchor to the Aether and tap the other with my Niblis of Frost's triggered ability, but he blocked the targeted spell + ability by using two Blossoming Defenses.
Then during his next turn he cast the hydra again, as I knew he would, so I countered it with a Spell Queller.
During my turn I went in for an attack, but had forgotten about his Aethersphere Harvester which he activated and would've taken out my Spell Queller, but I cast my Torrential Gearhulk in response to use an Essence Flux from the graveyard and cast it on my Reflector Mage to bounce out a pummeler, but he countered with another blossoming defense on the pummeler, but the Niblis of Frost's triggered ability still triggered, allowing me to tap his aethersphere harvester and go in for the attack. I then Imprisoned in the Moon the Aethersphere harvester to take it out of play. From there it was basically GG.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:16:29 am by Flying Carcass »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: January 07, 2018, 09:52:14 am »

Star Traders: Frontiers
Pretty much another awesome game by the Trese Brothers (who have the whole Star Traders series on mobile games and otherwise that give fleshed out and contentful make, also female and male choices for soldiers and crew--this is a turn-based space RPG/Strategy sandbox-ish game! But it has a campaign in comparison to the mobile ones!). In this game, you get to customize nearly everything, from each individual crew member of your ship (which has at least 12 crew on the tiniest scout ship), to equipment and modules of your ship. Currently, some parts are static on a level progression scale (more expensive = more power = more demand for skilled crew to man them well), but the developers note that they're going to make it more flexible later on.

I count this as an own even if it's pretty much LUCKY RNG ALL THE WAY, as there's a steam achievement that has around 0.0% in the global achievements; 'conscripting 20 crew before the end of year 2, on HARD mode'. In comparison to the mobile games, this one has a very unknown system of ship-to-ship combat, in which you have 5 different 'ranges' with weapons usually only being able to hit at a certain range, and only being able to board at a range of 3. There are only 4 ways to win a battle:
> You escape and live
> You blow up the other ship
> You blow up their engines or piloting systems (or kill the enemy captain via boarding), or finish off all their crew with your 4-man boarding team. Being victorious in boarding combat allows you to instill fear in the enemy crew (costing them vital 'action points' [or reactor points], and sabotage a module in their ship.
And with space being space, what kind of ship you meet can come from the tiniest scout ship, to large dragoon cruisers bustling with weapons and armor, and with different captain occupations, from the military officer, to the zealot, to the spy, and the merchant. There are also over 5 different factions, and ships of a faction react accordingly if you have reputation with them or not.

Getting both an intact enemy ship alive, while not suffering enough damage on your own ship, is one of the hardest things to succeed in, especially early game where most of your crew is level 1 (and only has one ability each). During your captain creation, you have 5 'tiers' of ranking what starting abilities/ship&moneys/experience/attributes/skills, and contacts you have, from tier A to tier E.

So I went A rank ship, followed by skills and attributes, going as a Spy focused in Evasion with 10 points in it (the maximum allocated), [and 1 blade, for the offhand], with the rest in Pistol. Attributes were focused into Quickness and Wisdom, for initiative in crew combat. Experience was at D, and Contacts was at E because I was aiming for the achievement and had no time whatsoever to do any contracts for big money. This means I had to scavenge and live on the edge--you have to balance your money here as ship repairs are very expensive, crew payments are by the month (so 4 weeks at least, as the game times you per day), and every visit to the repair area or the doctor to heal up your crew [they get damaged ALA Star Trek Ship Damage = Crew Damage/Death] costs ~2 weeks.

In its current state, it is 'Early Release', however it is already at a very fleshed out version. However, it is ROGUELIKE/IRONMAN DIFFICULTY, as in you cannot manually save. And while there is a 'custom difficulty' (to adjust the parameters to your liking), it is currently not yet implemented.
I got lucky in the first year, having experience'd up my crew, surrendering to hostile military officers and stoopid pirates when able, as they will only search your cargo (if no cargo/passengers/prisoners, you're free, unless their faction hates you, upon which you get either executed, or judged on trial for your 'crimes'; you get a chance to not get judged because of the slow judiciary process...IN SPACE, so there's even an RNG for everything).
My first plan was to cut off a few electronics/"crew dogs", making around 7 bunk spaces (you can only conscript crewmen if you have available crew space), and there is no way to eject crew other than making landfall on a planet because nobody is heartless enough to throw people out the airlock. Alongside replacing my autocannon armaments for plasma cannons to better focus on range 4 to 3 (for boarding tactic pushes). Cue several spy missions, and I wrangled up a tiny ship. I luckily blew out its engines (this was around the 10th ship I've encountered, getting me an in-game award for survival; sadly unlike the Star Traders mobile series, achievements do not give bonuses now [probably later on in further versions?]). The next one was at the 26th week after the 1nd year, wherein a boarding attempt luckily found me facing the enemy captain, and with my captain always heading the attack (alongside one of the luckily picked officers, being a swordsman in space), we won that while giving the enemy a fatal wound. I was counting 13 crewmen at this point, being conscripted [I can let them down easy without paying them by dropping them off on the planet I'm spying on anyway]. After a lot of lucky hits, and leveling my crew to the Military Officer/Smuggler/Pirate line, to get that awesome loot from Smuggler ship enemies (Power Generator cargo gives around 90k cash, in bulk), I luckily happened on another ship. This was the 8th one after blowing up 7 others unluckily, and with a combination of barrage guns to get the enemy ship accuracy off, combined with piloting 'Guided Fire' for accuracy, the RNG hit the enemy ship engines off and I had JUST enough space to conscript the next 7 crew, giving me enough for the achievement. And on the 49th week too.

This game is very hard. :'( But it is very fun.
And my wording is very messy. :-\

Fun note, sword-type weapons do the most damage, followed by the LMG. Sniper/Pistols are on the lower damage range, but better accuracy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:17:06 am by Tiruin »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: January 08, 2018, 01:01:17 am »

As King of Italy, I stole a Pope's skull, had it cleaned, and put it on my mantle to admire.  I'm...probably not a very good Catholic, if the fact that he excommunicated me first for invading the Ravennate and seized it for myself wasn't a clue.  Every so often, it helps when the game reminds how random events throw you some interesting narrative curve balls. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:14:23 am by Culise »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: January 08, 2018, 03:38:04 am »

Changed out my Thief's "let's stealth lots also condition damage" build into a half-baked Power Deadeye build with lots of emphasis on the Mark, and suddenly i'm CLEAVING through enemies, and I'm still missing some of the build for it. As it turns out, having 64% base crit chance is very good. Then 84% with Fury, which almost has 100% uptime, and then 100% once Twin Fangs kicks in.

I'm just sitting back laughing as my rifle 4 hits upwards of 11-12k on level 80 generic mobs. And it's more or less spammable as long as I have enough initiative. In a game where your average level 80 generic mob has maybe 15k.

(Guild Wars 2)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: January 08, 2018, 01:54:21 pm »

I was trying to get into the police station and finally did only to be bitten on the shoulder. It was one zombie. Arghh.

So I dropped everything but my sawed off shotgun, mountain of ammo, and couple Molotovs. Time to take the horde to task.

Total body count ended up at 108 apparently.

Project zomboid
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: January 08, 2018, 08:20:44 pm »

Invaded someone in the Archives who had a Warrior of Sunlight with him, as well as a blue phantom who arrived shortly after me. I had reallocated my stats to accommodate Champion Gundyr's gear, so I tried taking them all at once with my Halberd's wide sweeping attacks,  which actually worked well until the host and the blueberry started trying to hold me down while the sunbro shot me with Soul Stream. I managed to break away from them for a moment and get them to chase after me into some of those enemies that throw wax at you and use sorceries, causing them to split apart in confusion. Before they were able to get back together, I relentlessly pursued them all with charging attacks, making sure they never got a chance to use estus. Just to show off, I killed the host last.

I forgot to use Point Down, though, which is kind of disappointing.

Dark Souls 3
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:16:57 pm by IronTomato »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: January 09, 2018, 07:45:01 pm »

A group of Replicas tried to ambush me around a corner. I threw a grenade, activated Slow-Mo, and tried to shoot the grenade in the air. Instead of blowing up on shot(may have missed), it simply stopped on the ground right in the center of the group, then exploded, killing the group. There was bits of shredded corpse all the way in the next room over.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: January 10, 2018, 05:45:57 pm »

Survived the base assault on Classic Ironman. The primary reason I even managed to win was thanks to my Squadsight + In the Zone colonel sniper. I lost track of how many kills she got out of the 37 aliens that attacked my base, but it was definitely a majority. I also lucked out and got two colonel heavies with HEAT in the starting squad, and another colonel heavy with HEAT, a blaster launcher and extra rockets in the first group of reinforcements. That was huge, since there were 3 mectoids ganging up in only the first wave of aliens.

Bloody alien attack included 5 mectoids, 3 cyberdiscs, 4 sectoid commanders, 2 berserkers, 6 chrysalids, and an ethereal, along with various sectoids and floaters and mutons.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: January 13, 2018, 04:14:05 am »

I conquered a "friend"'s fortress, and just *ripped* through the defenses!  They were no match for me!

Just after a hearty round of mind-controlling Sauron's minions while repelling a siege, I was suddenly ambushed by literally 5 captains I had mind controlled.  Plus a hostage.

Not only did I save the hostage, I accidentally tricked one of them into killing another.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:15:50 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: January 13, 2018, 06:45:35 am »

Do you mean Shadow of War?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: January 13, 2018, 01:16:03 pm »

Oops, fixed.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: January 14, 2018, 01:42:12 am »

just got the game last night and dled it overnight;

managed to get my first #2 spot on the board. i got into an extended duel with one of the other two finalists but the last contestant had taken a sniper position just outside the shrink area and sniped me after. i managed 4 kills that game, with only an akm with 3 magazines worth of ammo. most of my time was running from one corner of the map to the shrink area.

still, not bad for someone still tweaking the settings.

Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: January 14, 2018, 07:13:05 am »

How is it? I've been considering getting it, but I've been put off by the $30 price and the numerous complaints that it's a bug-infested, hacker-infested mess.
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 711