Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 711

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1332604 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #6735 on: September 07, 2016, 09:12:51 pm »

The biggest change between 1 and 2 was the change from late TV Star Trek tone and visuals to more of a Star Wars used future kinda deal.  For a narrative focused game that's going to make a big difference in whether people like it, and its not something you can be objectively wrong or right about.  I'll admit I never played 3 but it seemed like it also shifted the tone and style significantly.
In the article I linked this is his main point of contention. They took a thing that was well loved with a consistent, developed world and handed it off to another writer who wanted to write a wholly different story. Then they did it again for 3.

Shamus compared it to "if J.K. Rowling had handed Harry Potter off to Terry Pratchet after the 4th book or so" and made the point you did, that while either isn't objectively better, the mere fact that it changed so much ruins the experience for those in for the long haul.
I don't agree with that.  I was saying the style was a matter of taste.  In terms of writing ME1 is just worse IMO.  There's less dialogue in general, the characters feel pretty generic and shallow even compared to themselves in later games.  Compare ME1 Garrus to ME2 Garrus.  The best thing about the plot was the political and relatively mundane worldbuilding, while the high adventure bits were lame.  The Reapers were an ass pull that introduced themselves halfway through the game with a talking hologram for no reason.  The "chosen one" aspect of Shepherd added nothing to the plot and all the characters conveniently forgot about it in the later games.  The main antagonist throughout most of the game was literally motivated by (spoilers if anyone cares) nothing except mind control.  Where it really shined was the worldbuilding with the different alien races and the fairly consistent attitude towards tech and magic.  ME2 held on to that while putting the focus on the characters and the action.

Possible ME heresy here, but I don't like the Reapers.  The writers built this whole detailed galaxy where we understand at least ballpark how everything works.  Then they created an enemy that is not only external to that galaxy, but explicitly impossible for said galaxy to beat.  Which is a big part of why the ending to 3 sucked, to sell the idea that the protagonists could win required contriving things.

Part of the reason I like ME2 so much more than ME1 is that the Reapers have very little impact on 2's plot.  When they are there they're horrifying on a visceral level, whereas in 1 they're this sterile, distant threat.  And I can only take a wild guess that in 3 they're a seriously diluted threat because, you know, that sure is a lot of Cthulus to not instantly wipe everyone out.  Also their origins are explained for some incomprehensible reason.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: September 07, 2016, 09:53:54 pm »

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: September 07, 2016, 09:57:08 pm »

While I appreciate this is interesting, this isn't the thread for it :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #6738 on: September 08, 2016, 08:25:54 am »

Back on topic:

After about an hour of farming NC at Andvari, we finally received reinforcements and took the biolab for the TR, and had enough momentum to push down to Jaeger's Crossing.

On the way down to Jaeger's Fist, the Sunderer I was gunning in took a detour to the nearby NC hive. I barely managed to kill one of the NC ANTs and hop out the Sunderer before it was destroyed, and a nearby Prowler was down to half health. Concerned about the number of vehicles left on the NC side, I hurriedly layed down AT mines, hoping to catch an ANT. The Sunderer explosion took out all my shields and half my health, and I was in full view of the enemy turrets, but I some how got to the Prowler and started repairing it. The Prowler took out another ANT, but the HA driver managed to got out and started shooting at the tank crew who had also got out to repair. I quickly switched to my main gun, before remembering I still had a shotgun equipped, so I had to switch to my pistol. I somehow managed to kill him before he killed me.

Turns out he was the last defender, so we just blew up the HIVE and the rest of the base with AV turrets with no further resistance.

EDIT: Carp, forgot the game. It's Planetside 2.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:30:51 am by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: September 08, 2016, 09:26:01 am »

I think I was in that, only I was on the other side of the continent, taking Elli from the NC right when you spandex freaks locked the continent.

Actually, I think what you did there was what locked the continent, freaking hell.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #6740 on: September 08, 2016, 11:23:30 am »

Which server are you on? I'm on Miller.

you spandex freaks

I play TR.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: September 08, 2016, 11:47:58 am »

Ah. Nevermind, I was playing on Emerald. As TR. Strange that it sounded like the exact same fight, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: September 08, 2016, 05:44:13 pm »

Took down a Materialist Fallen Empire. That's one out of three in the galaxy, though I can't reach the others just yet.

Stellaris
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: September 08, 2016, 07:39:52 pm »

Using around 25 mods, playing alone. Made combat harder, bumped up animal limit and monster count, spawned randomly somewhere, dropped all my gear and started very much naked.
Managed to not die, ran away from hundreds of threats, made crude then basic gear. Eventually my cave got surrounded by hell hounds, gorillas and spiders and had to abandon my camp, and while running away I almost drowned, but managed to steal a boat parked right beside a guard tower.
Decided that to end the 'survival challenge' I'd have to reach the Altar of the Three without dying. Made it.

Wurm Unlimited (even though I played WO like 7 years ago, I didn't learn anything back then, so I'm very much new to it).
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: September 09, 2016, 05:46:00 am »

Performed a cross-Kerbin flight using second-tier parts but first tier facilities(I started with a lot of science, but even the highest money start is not enough for upgrades), flight took over an hour, doing two survey missions, one requiring the barometer. Realized I burned more than half my fuel, I decided to land right there. Cutting the engines to as low as possible and still have positive electricity generation, I stalled and glided as close to the ground. I hit the parachutes a tad too early, lengthening my descent. Couldn't level out, but when I hit the ground I was slow enough that the cockpit wasn't destroyed and it leveled itself perfectly. Entire craft recovered, +132 Science, +tens of thousands of Kerbucks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: September 09, 2016, 10:27:58 pm »

Been alternating between playing other games in the series and slamming my face into Mountain of Faith. Decided to try ReimuA, since I'd never done that before. ReimuB is utterly terrible, with a near-useless spell sign and neither piercing nor homing shot, but ReimuA was quite serviceable, if not as good as MarisaB. Patchouli had a completely new set of spell signs, which kind of threw me off, but I did pretty well overall, although I won with no extra lives. Most of my deaths were due to being reluctant to bomb against midboss Sakuya. What is even WITH midboss Sakuya. Midboss Sakuya is harder then boss Sakuya or Remilia. Like, I've gone up against some robust foes. Midboss Sakuya is one of the most difficult not-extra enemies. In any case, I did win and got a new all-time high score. Sweet.

Now if only I could beat Kanoko...

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: September 10, 2016, 12:59:20 am »

Reimu A is the only way I can make real progress in most Touhou games. Marisa is way too fast to control, and Reimu B almost always sucks.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: September 10, 2016, 05:20:35 am »

Ten giant mecha (Balams) against ten electric not-godzillas (Erginus).  I'm just an infantryman (well, more of a FAC) tasked with keeping giant insects off of the robots, which are cripplingly overspecialized and have no guns.  Oh and I'm playing on a higher difficulty than I usually do, so my equipment is underleveled.  For the first run, I call down a tank for myself, and run around doing my job killing the insects.  Eventually a giant(er) mutant Erginus comes, and command gives me a Balam of my own.  I fight the mutant for a long time.  Unfortunately, I lose, and thanks to the difficulty level the NPC Balams lose as well (albiet with only one Erginus remaining).  I summon a new tank, and fire all 35 shells into the normal Erginus.  Then I get back in my old tank and fire its remaining ammo.  The 60 some tank shells had no real effect, so I get out and start firing my sticky grenade launcher; I get stomped to death shortly after.

For my next try, I decide I'm going to become a giant killer.  I forgoe a personal defense weapon in favor of equipping two laser designators hooked up to orbital kill sats, and for my vehicle I go with a Vegalta (a walker that would be described as giant in any other game, but is tiny in this one).  This particular Vegalta is supposedly anti-air, with dual missile pods for taking out multiple small targets.  However, it has two gatling cannons instead of the usual one, meaning its damage potential against a giant target that cannot be missed is absurdly high.  The giants punching each other are joined by two blue lasers from space scything through the battle.  The lasers have to be moved around to follow targets and deal continuous damage.  If I keep both the lasers on a single Erginus for their entire duration, then earn back both lasers via kills and do it again, and then empty most of the ammo from the Vegalta's cannons into that same Erginus, I can score a kill.  Armed with this power, I manage to turn the tide in favor of the Balams.  Occasionally Erginus try to stomp on me; at one point one attempts to charge my walker only to fall down dead in front of me.

When the mutant Erginus comes, my Balam is joined by a swarm of 5 heavily wounded allied Balams.  Unfortunately I get separated from my allies, who move at the same speed as me in this big blob and are too dumb to wait.  The mutant manages to destroy all five remaining Balams on its own.  This whole battle has taken like 10-15 minutes, and I know from experience that I have to stunlock this thing (that moves both randomly and way faster than me) perfectly or I pretty much die.  Preparing myself for a disappointing loss, I slowly lumber forward.  Balams have one attack combo, which is jab jab haymaker uppercut.  Last two hits stun.  I miss the haymaker when the mutant is leaning back in preparation for an attack, and then as it lunges forward I catch it right on the jaw with an uppercut.  It instantly falls over dead, having had almost no health left.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: September 11, 2016, 01:59:23 pm »

Nuking the world to "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire" is the cheesiest, most unoriginal thing.

But it's really fucking fun and satisfying.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: September 11, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »

And Kanoko is DUNKED, finally. Goddamn Mountain of Faith and its amulet blitzing. The constant zzzzz of things being fired at you is actually kind of soothing and I entered a serene state of dodging. Still used up two lives and lots of bombs, but its definitely one of the more elegant Touhou victories I've had. Most of them end with me panting/crying/laughing, but I was pretty chill throughout this one. It helped that MoF is the only Touhou that's worked perfectly on my potato and I got to watch the whole ending scene instead of scizophrenic snippets of one.

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 711