Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 711

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1329974 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #2880 on: July 11, 2014, 12:55:36 am »

....you've never played Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri??(that is the Sid Meier game, and not another game call Alpha Centauri, right?)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: July 11, 2014, 01:21:07 am »

Come up against a Risen boss in Fire Emblem Awakening.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem, because this risen, although having 80hp, has all of its stats <10. Laughably low, they have a 0% chance to deal 0 damage on my units.

However, two things catch my eye:

The boss has 37 skill. pretty decent stat... what's that used for? I... oh. Vengeance with 2 defense and 80hp? i can see how that'd be useful. It's still got 0% to hit, though.
The boss also has 50 Luck. Hot damn. I--- oh, it has Miracle. so that's a 50% chance to survive any lethal hit with 1hp left.

Okay, okay, i should be fine, piling damage onto it ---- wait, no it has Counter... alright, I'll send in some mages --- wait, if it survives the mages and attacks back, even the sturdiest ones are dead.

So this Risen had 80 hp, pretty much no defense, but decent skill and absurd luck, plus three moves that ALWAYS trigger, and two that trigger with a high % rate.

This risen could:
-Providing it survived a hit, which it would be able to with its 80 hp, it could deal that much damage back to an adjacent unit. My units are strong enough that they can deal more than their own hp with a single hit, in some cases. Those that can't are fast enough to hit twice totalling over their max. This always triggers against adjacent units, but not against units that are a tile or two away (a melee user with a throwing axe, a spear, or a Levin Sword or Amatsu, any mage, any bow user).
-With Renewal, heal 30% of its max HP per turn. This always triggers at the end of the turn.
-Vengeance had a 37% chance (based on Skill stat x 1%) to take accrued damage, halve it, and add it to the user's attack stat. Say you had 80 hp, and were on 2 hp, your attack would now deal (base damage + (total damage taken / 2)) damage - if you attack dealt anything more than 1, with a 2/80hp Vengeance powered attack, you'd be dealing into the 40s, which is an absurdly strong attack from a Risen with 2 Strength.
-Miracle had a 50% chance of triggering.
-Vantage always triggered. If on <50% total HP, attack first, even while defending. Not too dangerous in itself with the Risen's low stats, but combined with Vengeance was a potent combo.

I thought a while. I could send in my melee units wielding a ranged weapon, like Chrom with a Levin Sword or Walhart with Wolf Berg, but if the boss survived with Miracle, then attacked on its turn, they'd be dead from Vengeance or Counter.
I could send in my mages, but if they failed to reach it or failed to KO it at range, especially if it had Miracle, they were sitting ducks.
So, in the end, my only real option was to send in an archer and hope their high Avoid stat coupled with the fact that bow users do not retaliate when attacked, plus the ability to attack at range would keep the archer alive.

It paid off.

Panne moved in with Pass, dodged a few difficult to avoid hits, took one 3 damage hit, then nailed the boss with Lethality. I couldn't've been more pleased with the outcome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: July 11, 2014, 05:38:00 am »

Why do people always preface the Alpha Centauri game with Sid Meier's? Are there other games with the same name or something?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2883 on: July 11, 2014, 06:26:24 am »

Why do people always preface the Alpha Centauri game with Sid Meier's? Are there other games with the same name or something?
He does that with all the games he's produced.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:20:45 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2884 on: July 11, 2014, 09:09:51 am »

Holy shit that game sounds awesome.
It is absolutely timeless!

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: July 11, 2014, 11:13:20 am »

Got the timing down for Patchouli's lasers. Now they only kill me half the time!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: July 12, 2014, 03:03:54 am »

I'm the only dwarven site in the entire world. My bookkeeper got appointed king. I'm the mountainhomes, now. And we're only one z-level beneath the ground and going deeper.

Squee.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: July 12, 2014, 03:48:29 am »

For 35 years I have led the House of Julii with success. We Conquered first the Gauls, then the Germanic hordes, and driven the Britons back to their stinking island back over the water. The Senate requested we turn our attention to annexing settlements belonging to the Spanish - Carthaginian lapdogs that they are. 3 armies are sent through the Pyrenees - One along the northern coast, one along the Mediterranean coast, and a faint through the central pass who were supposed to retreat back along the pass, bottling up the Spanish armies. Our Armies to the north and south are unopposed, and cut deep into the Spanish underbelly, taking settlements with minimal opposition. The central army runs into a huge concentration of Spanish armies led by their king and his entire family near the city of Ocsa. Outnumbered, Placaius Victor, Hero of the campaign against the Britons, is ordered to continue the advance regardless, as killing the king and some of his family is too good an opportunity to miss.

Our forces meet on a flat bare plain fringed with trees. We command 500 light legionaries supported by 250 javalineers and a similar number of mixed cavalry, including the generals unit of battle hardened elite heavy cavalry. Spain have almost 1500 infantry of varying strength and quality, from light spear-men to fully armoured bull warriors, and around 600 cavalry. They begin their advance, and their plan is obvious - tie up my superior infantry in the middle with weight of numbers, and encircle with their noble led cavalry. I hold my narrow formation as late as I dare, and as the enemy pass into javelin range I order my infantry line to stretch into as thin an arc as possible and pull back my cavalry from the flanks to behind my infantry - the line is as little as 3 men deep in places. Our lines meet, and the centre turns into a bloodbath - Spanish troops are being hacked apart by the brave men of Rome. The Spanish were doing slightly better on the flanks, where their mounted warriors had the upper hand on some of my less experienced legions. The time for decisive action had come. I send my javalineers to support the flanks, as horses should be easier to hit than my own men, and send my Generals heavy cavalry straight up the middle to smash into the wavering Spanish infantry. Almost instantly they turn and run, and are ridden down by the heavy cavalry. My infantry from the centre peels to the left and right, encircling the enemy cavalry, cutting down the enemy king and all his family members. I pour my light cavalry through the gap into the enemy rear made up of some war-dogs held in reserve and light slinger units, and they too turn and run. For the loss of 150 Romans we kill 1900 Spanish and take the city of Osca, including their entire Royal family despite being outnumbered almost 2 to 1. With no leadership, the rest of Spain capitulates in a number of months.

This is a blank sig.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: July 12, 2014, 10:56:58 am »

Sneaking through a courtyard, a guard surprises me when he walks by too close for comfort. He doesn't see me, and instead walks by all chill. He promptly gets an elbow to the back of the head, and dragged off into a shadowy corner. His partner, not 30ft away, doesn't hear a thing.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: July 12, 2014, 11:47:54 am »

Sneaking through a courtyard, a guard surprises me when he walks by too close for comfort. He doesn't see me, and instead walks by all chill. He promptly gets an elbow to the back of the head, and dragged off into a shadowy corner. His partner, not 30ft away, doesn't hear a thing.

I haven't played the first SC game in so long. I remember hating the melee attack so much.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2890 on: July 12, 2014, 03:22:15 pm »

I haven't played the first SC game in so long. I remember hating the melee attack so much.
IT'S THE WORST. The first two/three SC games were the worst when it came to punching and shooting dudes. I've never spent so much time making sure I was aiming at the VERY TOP of a guy's head in a game. Sometimes if you're crouching or really far away or too close the bad guy gets shot in the face but it doesn't count as a headshot.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: July 12, 2014, 04:04:30 pm »

I killed like 15 people with a catapult in Mount & Blade: Warband multiplayer, on the GK servers.  Then I morning star'd three Swadian nerds chopping a door.  Then I rushed a breached room the enemy had stormed and taken in the castle, managing to survive for longer than five seconds and kill two dudes before dying.

Man.  I gotta say, besides the griefers and teamwounders, free weekends ain't so bad.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: July 12, 2014, 11:20:18 pm »

So I've been playing more XCOM: EW Long War, and the Council mission for the infested cargo ship turned up in mid-May, so I'm still operating with the basic ballistic weapons--save a laser pistol for my best sniper--, armor, equipment, &c., my best soldier is a Sergeant (aka 5th rank). I did have the first squad size upgrade, though. So I was taking a squad of seven with starting-level gear against an endless supply of Chryssies.

How did it turn out?

I planted my snipers on the roof of the pilothouse of one of the smaller boats with the infantry for protection, sent the medics and scout up to make a firing line at the hole in the big ship's hull, and ran the assault along its upper deck to trigger the airstrike, using the snipers to pick off the Chryssies that jumped up after her, while the three down below picked off new spawns with reaction fire. The entire run back to the 'ranger was a fucking mess, though; there were at least three points where the assault was literally one tile too far away for a Chryssie to nom on, and two more where she would have died if not for the snipers.

The only time any of my squad took damage was when I miscalculated and one of the Chrysalids was able to get into attack range of one of the medics... but I got absurdly lucky and it decided to hit him with acid instead of impregnate-nomming. Oh yeah, and of those 39 kills, only two of them were zombies. This adrenaline high, haha! xD

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: July 12, 2014, 11:28:13 pm »

Unlocked Super Saiyan mode.

Dwarf fortress version 34.01 DBZ mod
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: July 12, 2014, 11:40:12 pm »

So I've been playing more XCOM: EW Long War, and the Council mission for the infested cargo ship turned up in mid-May, so I'm still operating with the basic ballistic weapons--save a laser pistol for my best sniper--, armor, equipment, &c., my best soldier is a Sergeant (aka 5th rank). I did have the first squad size upgrade, though. So I was taking a squad of seven with starting-level gear against an endless supply of Chryssies.

How did it turn out?

-Snip-

I planted my snipers on the roof of the pilothouse of one of the smaller boats with the infantry for protection, sent the medics and scout up to make a firing line at the hole in the big ship's hull, and ran the assault along its upper deck to trigger the airstrike, using the snipers to pick off the Chryssies that jumped up after her, while the three down below picked off new spawns with reaction fire. The entire run back to the 'ranger was a fucking mess, though; there were at least three points where the assault was literally one tile too far away for a Chryssie to nom on, and two more where she would have died if not for the snipers.

The only time any of my squad took damage was when I miscalculated and one of the Chrysalids was able to get into attack range of one of the medics... but I got absurdly lucky and it decided to hit him with acid instead of impregnate-nomming. Oh yeah, and of those 39 kills, only two of them were zombies. This adrenaline high, haha! xD

You lucky god. When I did this one, I had laser weapons, and I lost most of my squad. In normal XCOM too.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 711