Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 712

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1333830 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #375 on: February 10, 2012, 04:00:01 pm »

That still doesn't justify it being an "Average" victory.

And still, I had another stack waiting to fight further (but they could not reach that fight in the same turn I started it, which is why they were not involved).
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 10, 2012, 04:37:17 pm »

Well, who knows what the criteria are? Maybe you took too long, or something.

I have a similar story from Medieval II: Total War (before I ragequit the game due to every other faction turning against me simultaneously for some reason). I had a small army composed almost exclusively of mercenaries garrisoning a city in Northern France. I was at war with France at the time, and I noticed a slightly smaller army massing on the edges of my vision. The army included ballistae, so I knew that they were going to attack me. I sent the entire garrison, consisting of 5 units of spearmen, 2 units of crossbow-men, and a single heavy cavalry unit, to either drive them off or kill them, only to find out that another, far larger army was lurking within range to join the battle.

By good fortune, I began the battle on a reasonably steep hilltop in the middle of the map. I knew that I would be surrounded and badly out-numbered, so what did I do?
"Spearmen, form circles!"
"Crossbow-men, in the middle! Fire at will!"
"Cavalry, into the woods!"

With the spearmen circles surrounding the ranged units, the enemy infantry and light cavalry were unable to find a weak spot to exploit, and they died by the dozens. When enemy bowmen or ballistae approached to try and cut my units down, the heavy cavalry ran them over, often before the siege units could get a single shot off. Victory was ours, and the mercenaries returned to the city to recover.

These same mercenaries would prove themselves again in two consecutive battles a few years later, when their city was over-run by the perfidious French. The French had brought more ballistae, and their power was enough to bring the walls down. The mercenaries fought hard, but were forced to retreat out of the city. In desperation, they attacked the French next season while the walls were still broken, pouring through and massacring every enemy soldier in a meatgrinder battle to the town square. Something like a tenth of the mercenaries were still alive after those two fights. In my mind, every single one of them earned medals and gold several times over.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 10, 2012, 07:05:48 pm »

Three-hour Scottish Blitzkrieg. Started with Ireland and Scotland, ended up with all of Scandinavia, Denmark, Great Britain, and the northern coast of  France. Now my only problems are that I lack a heir, and the fact that I was expanding so rapidly I haven't been able to upgrade any of my towns at all.

Spoiler: Game (click to show/hide)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 10, 2012, 10:42:41 pm »

That still doesn't justify it being an "Average" victory.

And still, I had another stack waiting to fight further (but they could not reach that fight in the same turn I started it, which is why they were not involved).

I remember Stworca's R:TW Let's Play. By the end of the game, he was winning fights with ~3000 to ~30 casualties. The game's assessment, every single time? "Close Victory".  :o

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 10, 2012, 11:21:06 pm »

Using Lex, I finally took down the Dustflier.

The Dustflier is easily the most difficult boss in the game, more so than all four phases of the final boss combined. If you manage to get hit by the first or second flame of his 'meteor strike' attack, you will lose ALL of your HP; the only thing that would keep you in is if you've got Autolife Level 3 or higher. Dustflier also has a stomping move that is difficult to avoid if you're not A. Fast, B. have Glide/Float or C. are far away when Dustflier begins the move. If you're hit by it, it doesn't do horrible damage, but it inflicts a random status condition 100% of the time.

Lexaeus is the slowest player. By far, he's a Mighty Glacier. His HP, Attack, Defense are all through the roof; his Attack Speed and Magic are the lowest possible. A single combo from Lex against most normal mobs (even the higher leveled ones) is enough to take out a good four-five bars of health.

It was a near perfect fight. I was only hit once; only because Lex's dodge-roll is much slower than other characters; he took a light hit from one fireball and lost about a quarter of his HP - roughly 90 hp lost. The Dustflier eventually went down after a good twenty minutes of 'dodge, one or two hits, escape'... his defense is i think 999, so each attack does next to nothing.

It was Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (pronounced 'Three-five-eight days over two) for the DS.

RaySmuckles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 11, 2012, 01:24:25 am »

Got Rogue Squadron 3D running in W7 x64 and fired up the first mission. First time playing in about 10 years.

Blew threw it using my keyboard as controller, got gold medal on first try. I was wasting probots at max vision - squeeze a couple rounds off, move to the next target, repeat, and I'd be firing at the third one before the first one exploded. Took out both squads of three TIEs at Mos Eisley with a few second squeeze each.

I remember this game being harder... either that or all these damn Star Wars novels are rubbing off on me.

(I know it's not terribly impressive, but it *felt* pretty awesome)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 01:26:28 am by RaySmuckles »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 13, 2012, 02:12:04 pm »

I killed Benny with my bare hands in the tops by repeatedly spamming ranger takedown.

Fallout: New Vegas
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 13, 2012, 06:06:22 pm »

I took out the flag carrier as well as one or two of his teammates and wounded numerous others with one well-placed grenade. It's nice having nearly twice as many kills as you have deaths.

Tribes: Ascend.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 13, 2012, 06:18:37 pm »

Became Russia, converted the holy roman empire to orthodox, then became the emperor  ;D

EU3
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:29:02 pm by Micro102 »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #384 on: February 14, 2012, 05:54:05 pm »

I drive my is-3 heavy tank strait up the middle road by the lake, ambush a sherman and a pz38na and kill them each with one shot. Round the corner to face off against a pair of kv-5 heavy, a T1 heavy and an assortment of medium tanks. I beat them down as dozens of rounds bounce harmlessly off my front glacias. The eastern front buckles and some of the enemy tanks move in behind me as they retreat from the rest of the team. They too bounce off my aft armor. I continue to brutalize the enemy tank squadron, taking fully half of them on alone and kill most of them off before the rest of my team can make it in to back me up, by that time my tank was slightly damaged as the attackers from the rear managed to score a few modest hits.

World of Tanks: It was a rare circumstance. Not one of the enemy team was able to penetrate my front armor, and not one of players I had pinned down was brave/intelligent enough to try flanking me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #385 on: February 15, 2012, 01:43:18 am »

Lead my 6 followers and 60-something member army, full of final tier Khergit and Sarranid cavalry units, to assault a castle. My archers and I (both being horse archers currently dismounted due to the siege) take down the enemy archers and crossbowmen on the walls. I follow my infantry up the siege ladders and proceed to headshot ~50 enemy infantry as they try to climb the stairs to the wall and enemy archers as they fire from the courtyard. I had to make several runs to grab arrows from slain archers to keep my ammunition up. I succeed against ~200 enemy soldiers, mostly recruits, and take around 15 actual casualties. Having a companion with high surgery is immensely useful.

So I take the castle, request that it be awarded to me, and sit still to rest.

A while later and two groups from different countries come by and lay siege to the castle. They are weak on their own, so I sally forth and annihilate them with my tired and wounded troops, taking out another hundred with a handful of casualties.

I return to the castle to rest my forces and pray that was the end of it.

Turns out the entire Vaegir army decided to pay me a visit.

Six hundred of the enemy wait outside my walls, eager for their siege ladders to be completed in order to assault the puny garrison. A messenger arrives and tells me that I am named marshal of the Khergit Khanate. My promotion seems silly in light of the situation. As the sun rises on the next day, the enemy attacks.

300 enemy troops assault my few-day-old captured fortress. My infantry sit at the entrance to the ladders, my archers pick off what they can, and I await their advance up.

So many headshots. I proceed to single-handedly take out around half of the enemy as my infantry forces a bottleneck which stalls the enemy on the ladder. One drops, the one behind advances and stops in his place, drops, and repeat. A factory of arrow-death, made all the more frantic due to the limited supply of arrows (ran out of my 64 arrows rather quickly, had to scavenge for arrows that were stuck in the crenelations). The last of the enemy, an archer, falls at the base of the ladder. The vast majority of the enemy lay dead, only a handful were wounded. I was ecstatic that I had won. I could have sworn there were around 600 soldiers, but only 300 had arrived. I deal with prisoners, the loot, and go back to the main screen.

I was right about the number the first time. I have around 20 soldiers against their 300 this time. If they can stall the enemy, I alone will take out their army. An entire wave advances up and dies, taking a couple of the defenders with it. Another wave attacks and falters. A third wave rushes up the ladders, breaks through the bottleneck and swarms my wounded soldiers. Armored infantry advance on me with spear and sword as I thread a few arrows into their helmets. I fall, unable to block all of the melee strikes with my trusty awlpike. I'm taken prisoner and left to rot in the castle I took a few days ago with the news that I am relieved of my station of Marshal and compensated for my 1 day(s) of service.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 15, 2012, 03:20:08 am »

To prepare for a larger campaign, two units of hastati (light infantry carrying tower shields, short swords, and two javelins each) left the walls of one of my cities to meet up with a general massing his forces. Along the way, they ran into a tiny rebel army, and so stopped to wipe them out. They prepared to move on when a comparatively massive force of nearly 1000 Gaul warriors descended upon them. A mere 300 hastati, versus such a warband? I was prepared to lose them gloriously.

The gods were smiling upon them however, for there was a tiny hill nearby, barely a bump in the plains. The soldiers were ordered to hold position on the hill and face the mighty host. As they approached, they noticed that the Gaul captain was front and center with his unit, and unleashed every javelin in their arsenal at the Gauls as they charged. The captain's unit broke rather quickly after taking so many casualties in a short time span, but there were still hundreds more of the barbarians. The hill, slight as it was, turned out to be the key factor in the battle and soon dozens of the foe were lying at the Romans' feet. They sounded the withdrawal and met up with the captain, who had recovered his wits at the base of the hill.

The two hastati units reformed at the very top of the hill in a chevron formation, which would hopefully keep them from being surrounded. The Gauls, taken by barbaric fury, charged up the hill and broke upon the wall of shields. The enemy captain soon lay dead, and the gauls began to rout. However, their long charge had left them exhausted, while the canny Romans had caught their breath. The warbands were ran down like dogs as they fled, and barely 50 of them escaped the wrath of Mars. Total losses for the Romans? 19 dead, 3 wounded.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 15, 2012, 09:45:32 am »

Getting my underground giant butt kicked most of the game, keeping in by claiming some underwater terrain with my more flexible units and researching like crazy... learn to summon the oracles of the dept, start enliving statues with my Pretender God (9 Earth + boot = muhahha), while researching construction, rushing for a petrifying shield and sword, summon watcher of the death and send out my army of statues and stone that turn everything else into stone.

Managed to return onto the table of major powers until some rlyeh spawn mind blasted it (somehow). Crushes them with metal dragons, summoned the Riches of the Earth, build the Earth Blood well (for every bit of blood that flows in the world you get a handful of earth gems = more giant metal dragons and golems = more blood) and came from underdog to topdog.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 15, 2012, 10:28:20 am »

-snip- -snip-

The two hastati units reformed at the very top of the hill in a chevron formation, which would hopefully keep them from being surrounded.
-snip-

How the hell does a chevron, an ARROW, this thing -> ^ prevent being surrounded? THAT MAKES NO SENSE

The last time I owned was in hateMOO. I went into Any Port, a popular idling location, and activated a nuclear suitcase bomb with a bunch of people staring at me. Killed a bunch of people including a guy who thought I was actively going after him.  8)
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 15, 2012, 07:55:16 pm »

It's quite simple, really. A warband attempting to charge a chevron would impact on the "point", and the front-most warriors would be divided. The warriors in the back would spread out to try and get around my units, but would run into outward-facing shields and swords along the entire line, rather than getting around and attacking from behind. The other warbands would simply pile into the back of the first, and accomplish nothing. I guess the point isn't to avoid being surrounded, but to arrange your troops in a way that trying to surround is futile. It worked, and that's the most important thing.

A slightly less honorable moment of ownage occurred earlier today, also in Rome: Total War. My single assassin, who wasn't even very high-skilled, managed to murder the Gaul faction heir, three family members, and sabotage a town that I conquered a few turns later. I believe that his actions were what made the AI give me one of their few remaining cities in exchange for a temporary cease-fire. He is now headed to the Gaul capital, where the faction leader stays...

UPDATE: The Gaul king is dead, long live the Gaul king. This assassin terrifies me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:24:02 pm by Sirus »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 712