Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 711

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1331348 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9975 on: December 06, 2020, 07:09:40 am »

Well, that might explain it, I've been using Julius, not Augustus. Julius doesn't have roadblocks. I don't remember exactly why I picked Julius instead of Augustus, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9976 on: December 06, 2020, 07:11:59 am »

Yes, Julius is more if you want to play Caesar3 exactly like Caesar3 was designed but with a modern OS-friendly engine, Augustus is when you want the Julius modern OS engine AND new features and options that weren't in the original Caesar3.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9977 on: December 06, 2020, 09:19:27 pm »

I beat Impossible Mode in Dead Space with something like 200 plasma energy, 100 force energy and maybe 10 contact beam energy left over (I picked this up very late so I didn't collect much ammo for it).  I also had enough money to buy enough nodes to max my RIG health, fully upgrade stasis, the plasma cutter and force gun, and about half of the contact beam.

I died 13 times total during the run so it doesn't feel like a great accomplishment, but the resource conservation aspect is really the hardest part of the game so I consider that to be a pretty good result.

A few deaths came from trash necromorphs starting in chapter 2, and at least one was from environmental deaths like the asteroid bombardment on the way to the ADS cannon.  3 deaths were from enhanced brutes, which I learned the contact beam is very good for.  Most deaths were from exploders, which go from annoying on lower difficulties to requiring a level 5 RIG and max health to even survive on Impossible.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9978 on: December 10, 2020, 11:47:31 pm »

I just faced Sierra with Drowzee, Sharpeedo, Houndoom.  And I defeated almost the entire set with Melmetal.

Obviously I started with something else (Magnezone) but immediately swapped in Melmetal.  Swapping stuns the Rockets, even their leaders.  Melmetal charges Thunderbolt exceptionally quickly with Thunder Shock, so I blasted through her two shields easily.  Then a third Thunderbolt finished off the Drowzee (overkill, probably) and obviously the sharpedo fared... poorly.

Her Houndoom finished it off, but in came my Rhyperior which made short work.

What surprises me is that Sierra is so easy, most of the time.  Arlo, my favorite, tends to be more difficult.  It's the "bruiser" Cliff which tends to give me trouble.  That dang Steelix, when I FOR THE LIFE OF ME have no strong fire answers...

Anyway yeah, I almost solo'd Sierra with Melmetal.  While a bit... tired.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9979 on: December 11, 2020, 06:51:58 pm »

That's roughly my experience with them as well: Cliff gives me the most trouble and Sierra the least.  For all of them, I usually lead off with something else and switch in to Lucario to abuse their AI stun from switching and then charged attacks.  Lucario charges Power Up Punch very quickly and I can usually defeat every rocket's first two pokemon with Lucario alone because of that.

Crustle, amusingly, is my backup.  It also charges is charged attacks very quickly and is pretty tough, where Lucario is not.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9980 on: December 11, 2020, 07:17:26 pm »

Ooh.  I've been used a 98% max-CP Machamp for my fighting (Four Punch Man) but he's very fragile, though fortunately fast and powerful.  So requires very tactical switching.  I love Lucario's look but I never knew it was Steel along with fighting!  No wonder everyone loves Lucario!  I've only found a couple, but I have a trove of ~150 rare candy from when I used to raid, so I'll have to look into that.

And Crustle... oh yeah I have one of those!  Bug/Rock, strange combo.   I'll have to look into that too, because as a Gen 2 main I tend to underestimate bugs that aren't Scyther/Scizor.  Or Shuckle of course, heh.  (It's a funny gym defender and actually has utility in the main games - give it Toxic and have patience).
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9981 on: December 12, 2020, 02:12:26 am »

I like Lucario
never played any pokemon game but his introduction cutscene in Subspace Emissary made him look really cool

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9982 on: December 14, 2020, 03:06:50 am »

Ulfsdottir Odin hates the Fiefs of the Black Cross.
At some point a province of hers, in Vestergotland fell under the rulership of the Fiefs.
While Ulfsdottir was currently in a war, helping her niece (whom she did not like) in a Jyhad, defending against one duke from the Fiefs, she saw that the Emperor of the Fiefs was engaged in 4 civil wars at once.
She rallied all her armies, the sat on the horse she stole from the Emperor of the Fiefs, and declared de Jure war on him.
They met in the province they fought over. 10k Norse soldiers, against 13k german soldiers.
Ulfsdottir personaly fought the Emperor of Black Cross, knocked him out with her niece's hammer Kristbani, and diablerised him. His soldiers, horrified at the spectacle, routed.

The battle decided the war.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9983 on: December 18, 2020, 07:28:26 pm »

Started the campaign over again, because I was getting absolutely shagged the last time. As such, Act I was a total curbstomp. It mostly came down to learning how to use dragon form better. Before, I didn't even know I could rapid-fire my fire(though doing so causes overheating). I was also trying to blast them from high altitude, which doesn't work. Here, I rushed Rejuvenation and Blood Leech, and bombed them from close range. Blood Leech reverses most of the damage from enemy Grenadiers, and Rejuvenation reduces how long I have to back off to heal from what Blood Leech doesn't.

The only fight that went relatively bad was the isolated island to the north. Due to the arrangement of building plots, I wasn't able to produce an attack force of any size, and so had to bleed the entire territory of its entire population. Including the recruits of mine that defected to the enemy*. Burned them all with dragon fire. For the AI's part, they actually caught me off guard with several landing boat attacks. Including one with a bunch of Troopers insta-capping my only recruitment center with their bullshit Spoils of War ability.

I also kept a slow pace towards the end of the act, so that I could head into Act II with a sizable reserve of gold and research points - another thing that doomed my last attempt. The same turn I took Karsten's capital, I legalized the "medicinal" use of "herbs".

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9984 on: December 20, 2020, 11:00:31 am »

Beat all three levels in a row without dying. The end screen congratulated me for this, saying that the developer herself couldn't manage it. :D

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9985 on: December 26, 2020, 04:54:49 pm »

After dozens of failures trying to get the Defect to even get to the third boss at ascension 8, I easily walked the Ironclad through ascensions 10 and 11. The Timeless never even damaged me.

Hilariously, my 181 damage Body Slam (does damage equal to your block, plus your strength) didn't kill it. I finished the next round with the last base attack left in my deck.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9986 on: December 27, 2020, 02:28:25 pm »

So *this* puzzle boss constantly casts Reflect on itself, responds to all physical attacks with an instant cast of Drain which means your melee is more or less hitting themselves.  I know the trick to getting past Reflect, but I don't have it prepared or a ring equipped, and my party is mostly melee.

Fortunately the boss is *too* clever, and casts Reflect on one of my party so it can cast buffs on itself.  This lets my black mage do some damage, at least.  My monk slightly outdamages the draining, my red mage desperately heals, and my berzerker is a liability as is often the case.  Total flustercuck.  My black mage accidentally nukes a party member and later herself when the Reflect wears off at the wrong moment.

Eventually it's just BM and the boss.  Boss is mostly just spamming buffs and making sure the BM constantly has Reflect.  I spend an elixir (first of the game maybe?) but the boss's attacks are just too much for the BM's low HP.  I wander away to wait for the battle to finally end.

I come back to constant spam of "Reflect!  ...Not enough MP!".  Cue sinister laughter...

Then the game had me wander through another few screens of enemies with NO MP (so my red mage couldn't even Lance them for emergency mana) to get the dang save point.  Feeling pretty good though.

Final Fantasy V Mobile
Edit:  Fricken heck sorry, I didn't think a phone screenshot would be that large O_O
Edit2: And to further explain - throwing all that melee against the boss must have worn down its MP as it cast all those Drains.  I'm just glad it didn't have Osmose like some enemies (apparently I get to buy that soon - best spell.  Got me through Kefka's magic tower, which I feel was partly inspired by this boss fight)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 02:35:25 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9987 on: December 27, 2020, 06:39:27 pm »

Watched a video on how to cheese Farbor, one of the hardest levels in the game. Did it in a slightly less efficient manner. Would have been slightly more efficient, but I made a few mistakes, such as forgetting to turn one of my shields on. On the other hand, I finished with the enemy having less progress than the video, because I destroyed two of their processors much earlier.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9988 on: December 28, 2020, 10:55:46 am »

It's been a long time i have tried to unlock that damned Horror character thing.
But each time i got into the opportunity, i always ended doing something stupid and getting my character killed.
Not anymore.

But finally after all those wasted attempts and silly wasted amount of time, i finally unlocked Horror.
Was so happy that i stupidly died in the next level to a rat rushing into me, that i didn't even noticed with some busy explosion around taking my attention.
(in Nuclear Throne)

I think i will not touch this game for a while after that , it's not good for blood pressure :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9989 on: December 28, 2020, 01:20:27 pm »

Eliminated the Qing dynasty as the Taiping Heavenly Rebellion using Shi Dakai's sick leadership skills, simple enough. Yet when I westernized I was completely torn apart by the Xinhai Revolution, as all of China was carved up by various warlords. My population went from 112 million to 800,000. Of my once formidable army, only 36,000 loyalists remained - 9,000 stuck on Okinawa and 27,000 in Vietnam. Vietnam had been annexed by the Qing Empire for such time that multiple provinces were majority Chinese (mass emigration caused by the Yellow River flooding). But the situation was bloody dire; the capital had been lost, all of the provinces defected to warlords and the Heavenly dynasty was in danger of perishing.

There were numerous main players. In the southlands, Guangdong had 1,200,000 soldiers and an alliance with the Japanese. In the north, the Beiyang government had 4,500,000 soldiers. The other warlords averaged +800,000 soldiers. The neighbouring riverlander warlords had 900,000 troops each, but in the frenzy of reunification wars had declared war upon one another. This was my one and only chance to return Imperial rule to Tianjing, and so I declared war. I had two allies - Algeria and Brazil, who would take two years to arrive. The Japanese declared war upon me with Guangdong for the Okinawan islands. Even though the Heavenly Kingdom's Navy had remained loyal to me, and I would be able to keep the Japanese off of the islands with it - the Guangdongnese army was a world-ending threat so I gave up the islands without a fight.

The navy instead blockaded the riverland warlords whilst general Shi Dakai held the mountain passes & jungles outnumbered 10 to 1. I mobilised peasant forces to double my army and embarked on a bold march through the riverlands, even launching naval invasions to cut off the enemy troops from their capital. Despite such monumental victories it seemed overall success was impossible...

UNTIL THE BRAZILIAN ARTILLERY CORPS ARRIVED

What followed was a rapid march through the riverlands, striking fast against each one in rapid succession with a bare minimum force needed to seize the capitals and drive the warlords north. Once I had command of 27 million peoples I went to war with Guangdong, which at that point had pushed the Beiyang government north and commanded 2,400,000 men, versus my 560,000. this time unable to call upon the aid of the Brazilians or Algerians - Shi Dakai and the Heavenly Navy once more proved pivotal in cutting Guangdong in half. The war was quick, millions died, but the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom finally returned to Tianjing - moving the capital back to her homeland.

In the North, Chinese reunification rebels overtook the defeated warlords I had pushed back, all uniting under the Beiyang government. The Beiyang government itself fell to communist rebels, becoming the People's Republic of China. In the end, the PRC had 57,000,000 people to call upon whilst I had 52,000,000. The Japanese were busy invading Korea and the Russians & Brazilians were busy with the Ottoman Turks in the West. Within five months of the PRC unifying the North and heartlands and the Taiping unifying the Southlands and riverlands, we had a massive showdown which ended the same way it did with Guangdong - Shi Dakai and Deng Feng leading the charge, seizing the enemy's population centres before they could mobilize their forces in full.

In the aftermath of the war, significant warlords still remained, many with foreign protection. But with a population of 82,000,000, Taiping at last emerged as the Heavenly Hegemon of the China. In a few more years - the Hegemon of the East. Maybe in a few decades - the world.
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 711