Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 711

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1329665 times)

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #3570 on: December 03, 2014, 07:02:41 pm »

It's not *owning* him unless you do it on the hardest difficulty you can, blindfolded and with one hand tied behind your back.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: December 03, 2014, 07:20:31 pm »

rot in a ebola filled hole WM
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: December 05, 2014, 04:47:21 pm »

Got 2309 kills in survival. This game is hard, but I love it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: December 06, 2014, 01:25:56 am »

Been killing some time.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: December 06, 2014, 01:34:22 am »

Killed a motherfucking HIGH DRAGON. It was really close and I have no idea how I won. My main character was down for the count, AFTER my healer had revived them with a long-cooldown spell, so I was operating at 1/2 damage, with only my [underequipped]archer, healer and tank. And the High Dragon was still at 1/3ish health. Still, through a combination of approximately a bajillion lyrium potions and a dedicated Spirit Healer to keep my tank up, we eventually wore it down enough that I thought I could kill it. And then FLAME SPIT. Twice in a row, before my party could stand up after being knocked down from the first flame spit. My healer got knocked out and my other party members were almost dead from fire DOT and wouldn't last more then a few second. And then they get healed. My healer is now alive and seems to be superpowered, at least temporarily. Eventually, I triumph and defeat one of the toughest enemies in the game.

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: December 06, 2014, 02:16:14 am »

I killed a writhing mass of primal chaos that just so happened to be created from some creature constantly walking on a corruption trap. Probably started from a rat or a kobold or something.

Note that I was a dwarf barbarian. So I killed it in GLORIOUS MELEE COMBAT.

I still died shortly afterwards to a steel golem, but hey, it's the little victories.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: December 06, 2014, 02:21:50 am »

Hello, Hoxy.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: December 06, 2014, 12:19:06 pm »

After a good time of ramping up my economy, sent some Halberdiers and Harquebusiers into the Dutch's town. Despite their archaic design, Harquebusiers apparently outrange muskets, only the enemy didn't have any. Managed to secure a Town Center without them trying to blow it up, as well as a few other buildings. The only one they managed to get burning was an Academy that I managed to save. The only problem was their Barracks, which I had some mercenary Grenadiers deal with. Gunned down all of their citizens and captured a single Town Center for the win.

Total losses: 2 peasants which were probably shot by my side as the game converted them to my side. Normally, it's a whole mess of buildings and stuff captured from the enemy but still counted as losses on my side.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: December 06, 2014, 06:36:27 pm »

Doing the dragon statue quest with my army full of custom designed "Dragon Slayer" units to level them up before the grand finale, took detour north to kill Vetrar while at it, my champion Craul Gravehands hits level 19 and can easily solo enemy armies (not really that hard because stupid AI) and scores "Deadly" threat rating alone. His army got "Epic" when I first assembled it and has only gotten stronger since then, weakest units were level 8. I reach the final statue and trade some gear between my sovereign and Craul and move on the statue to start the fight...
...and notice that instead of Craul and his Dragon Slayers I had  moved my sovereign, who only had two groups of (mostly) ceremonial bodyguards with him. Against three dragons, Clambercoil, Fell and Ashwake.

Fuck.

Fear and Contagion spells hit all my units and I lose action for first turn, second is repeat of the first and I'm taking damage each turn from contagion. I manage to avoid melee for few more turns because mounted units fuck yeah, but I know that my guards don't stand a chance against three dragons at once and that my sovereign would be OHK, and then the Ashwake, strongest of the dragons, starts casting something.

That was where I won the game.

See, my sovereign was Magnar of the Quendar and I had made him into a dedicated mage, glass cannon to the extreme, and that overgrown worm tried to start magic duel with him. Thing with magic is that most powerfull spells take two turns to cast, and you can easily prevent enemy from casting anything with a counterspell, assuming you have two of them since they can't be casted twice in a row. And I did, Feedback even does damage to target based on number of fire shards (of which I had many), and it was casted by high level mage with several traits that improve damage from spells. Silly little worm.
So while Ashwake was stubbornly trying to cast it's spell and taking damage every second turn, I maneuvered two other dragons into positions. Dragons got this thing where they try to breath flames turn before closing in on melee, so all I had to do was flank them and attack from the side, take the hit from one dragon while other was spitting fire and get out. Rinse and repeat. Magnar casted spell every now and then to help when he had spare time (high initiative FTW). I mentioned how my bodyguards were mostly intended to be ceremonial before, well, part of their ceremonial gear was dragon hide cloak which gives +50% fire resistance. And they were Quendar, that's another +50% fire res. there.
After I got that Ashwake to stay still rest of the fight pretty much won itself for me. I didn't even lose either guard unit.

Reward for this quest? My very own pet Ashwake. He's going on strict diet of darklings and ice elementals till he can roast me a few kindoms...

Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: December 06, 2014, 07:06:47 pm »

THAT GAME SOUNDS FUCKIN' METAL AS SHIET

Details! DETAAAILS!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: December 06, 2014, 07:38:54 pm »

Spoiler: E:FE rant (click to show/hide)
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: December 06, 2014, 07:48:42 pm »

Well, this sounds very interesting. Thank ye, ser Strange.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: December 06, 2014, 08:01:28 pm »

I do like the idea of being able to design your own units. Many such games limit customization to leader units, and sometimes not even those :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: December 06, 2014, 08:49:19 pm »

Yeah, we need more games that allow that. It might be hard to balance but it would add to replayability a lot. One thing I've wanted to see in game for a long time has been RTS game set in middle-ages +/- few hundred years where instead of given unit list you design your own units, equipment and training (read: stats and abilities) and all against adapting AI that does the same. Best I ever saw in Fallen Enchantress was enemy dropping all armor from their units to get rid of initiative (how often unit acts in combat) penalty when I overused trait that gave me attack bonus against enemies with lower initiative. It's a nice trick, but far from challenging AI.
Designing units doesn't have to be limited to just front line troops either. If your normal builder units could be modified in the same way you could build sort of "combat engineer" type of units that wouldn't need other units to protect them, they could build fortifications and man them right away themselves. And all the other type of units that are done away from modern games? Siege weapons like catapults and ballista fall apart when you rain arrows on them and kill their crew, but what if they were left behind, waiting for another crew trained in using them? Viking style raiding ships, anyone? Capturing enemy equipment would be possible to use as game mechanic, having Dominions style moral as a stat so that units who are not trained to stay and fight would break and flee when people start to die around them, leaving behind what they were using...
So many things could be done. But it's not gonna happen. Focusing on gameplay depth in this age, who does games like that?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: December 07, 2014, 07:33:58 am »

Galactic Civs has that.  Sadly the gameplay customization is a bit light (especially at higher tech levels where defenses don't do anything), but the visual customization is excellent.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 711