Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 711

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1331126 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10545 on: August 12, 2023, 10:25:03 pm »

Zero mistake hell board, for the second time. Took 1405 seconds and four tries, heh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 10:29:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: August 13, 2023, 06:59:16 am »

I didn't notice the classic mode!  Thanks!
I did fine on Difficult just now, but Very Difficult was kinda difficult.  Was nice to Sudoku a little again~
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: August 13, 2023, 07:12:57 am »

The best tip I have, if you haven't already noticed the functionality (it's easy to miss or forget it's there), is that you can click on the numbers that are already there and it'll highlight all the ones on the board. Easiest way to start a hell board I've found, is to take a minute to go through everything that's already there and see if the lines let you eliminate any possibilities. You usually seem to be able to get at least two or three spots down that way, and sometimes you can actually get down every one for a particular number.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: August 13, 2023, 08:01:56 am »

I was *looking* for that feature!!  I half-remembered it!  I was trying by pressing a numkey with no box selected, but that doesn't work.

Thanks, that does indeed help a lot.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: August 16, 2023, 07:16:56 am »

I've been playing a lord of the rings total war medieval 2 mod called divide and conquer. It's quite fun, if a bit limited in what it can do because of the base game. I'm playing as Dol Guldur lead by Khamul the Easternling. Sauron's stronghold in southern Murkwood given over to the second strongest ring wraith. It's quite a hard start, you start at war with the elves of Lothlórien and them almost adjacent to the west, only separated by a very crossable Anduin. But you really can't kill them, even leaving aside how Celeborn is an absolute kill pig who can probably defeat your entire starting forces solo, the game has a mechanic where any faction on their last legs will spawn an emergency final stack full of high tier units. And a full stack of high tier elves would be absolutely ruinous to fight and even if you won it'd just thrust you into a war against the dwarves of Moria and likely Rohan as well, so basically you're forced into a tense standoff with them across the river, pouring gold into defensive forces as you attempt to expand elsewhere. But expanding elsewhere brings it's own problems. Beornings to the northwest, Sindar elves to the north, the men of Dale to the northeast, and the men of Dorwinion to the east.

Despite these issues, I was doing well, goblins poured forth from the dark woods, lead by orcs and ring wraiths, they pushed backed the men of the east to the forest river and were threatening to drive Dorwinion into the sea of Rhun. But the most successful war was against the Beornings where a legion of goblins and orcs lead by Khamul himself drive the wild northern men from the woods and eventually lay siege to and captured Beorns home itself. Lightly armored heavy hitting men were weak to the massed arrows of a goblin horde that had grown in the darkness of an elven forest, and other then the direct skinshifting kin of Beorn himself they had a weak will that was easily shattered by the hammer of terror wielded by Khamul. However, once I had taken their capital I was betrayed. The snow orcs of Mount Gundabad came, despite being my allies under Sauron, despite being at war with the same people as me. These fucking snow orcs marched PAST the weak remains of the Beornings that they were at war with to come out of the fog of war and lay siege to the Beorning capital that Khamul was in with the largest army I've seen.

This was a huge problem, if you're under siege it's a win or die situation, there's no possibility of retreat. But despite Khamul being a pretty deadly dude, his army only consisted at this point of around 1200 troops, around 1/3 of them orcs and the remaining 2/3s just goblins. The forces of Gundabad had 3000 orcs, and the orcs of the far north are generally a bit more of a hearty breed, more suited to being warriors then the weaker orcs of the south. So basically not only was I outnumbered three to one, but they had a fairly substantial troop quality advantage over me. And I had to win, loss meant the death of Khamul, who was the only thing holding together the northern front against the Sindar Elves and the Beorning and also my only possible response to the elves of Lothlórien trying to cross the Anduin on mass would be Khamul returning to lead the defense. Loosing this fight could very well mean the end of the campaign. The game gave a power ranking completely lopsided in the snow orcs favor.

Anyone who knows total war probably can guess that Khamul is a heavy cav unit and carried most of the fight himself. Charging into and out of combat over and over to break the orcs. But the difficult part was even the ultimate hammer needs an anvil to dash against and my forces were mostly not up to the task. So the combat took the form of a running battle from the northern edge of the map almost to the southern one (and this was a big map) where I repeatedly teased apart and isolated smaller groups of orcs to crush them, slowly taking apart the enemy army. The biggest victory came when I found a clean charge on the enemy general, and was lucky enough that he died almost immediately to the charge. This made the fight a lot easier and marked the turning point where it went from me slowly loosing the trades I was forced to make to actually starting to break his army apart and start climbing the balance of power bar. It was certainly the longest and hardest battle I've had in this game thus far. Quite a wild fight and likely saved my campaign. Since then I've pulled back from the north slightly, as the snow orcs responded with a second army that is just as large. But it's given me time to pull up reinforcements. And now Khamul leads an army not of 1200 of mostly goblins with some orcs. But one with 700 Uruk and 1500 orcs. And now he'll march north again, to teach Gundabad the price of betrayal.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 09:27:43 am by Criptfeind »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: August 17, 2023, 03:01:52 pm »

Took several times, partly due to me sucking at the fight and not having adequate sundelion-based food, and partly due to console crashes, but I finally beat the Demon King.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: August 17, 2023, 05:01:35 pm »

So that's what happened when aku did
thing, huh. Gannondorf. Makes sense to me.
Ask not!
Ask!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: August 21, 2023, 07:54:02 am »

Mission where I had to look after a pet and face two pretty heavy mechanoid attacks.

Not only did I fend them off without any deaths (Plenty of casualties, but nothing permanent aside from one janissary getting brain damage. Not that I cared, he wasn't *my* janissary), I fended off another two raids almost immediately after. Shotguns are ridiculous in CE so long as you can get in range.

Rimworld

EDIT: 1.14bn points, locked one fragment of tachyolium, time travelled twice (Although I didn't have the fragment then so I went to the future and back), picked up four souvenirs, got quickshot mania for the first time, and managed to get the mystery (It was an extra ball).

Pro Pinball: Timeshock!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 04:14:17 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: August 24, 2023, 07:52:18 pm »

Beat the Swarm monster boss fight at Moth Village. Cut out about 95% of the fight by dropping a flamethrower turret directly into its mouth. Otherwise, the fight would have been a slog of diving over it's projectile wave, tapping it with my pistol(sniper rifle was already out of ammo doing this) for pitiful damage, then diving back. But why do that when you can kill it with fire?

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: August 25, 2023, 01:50:45 pm »

Managed to get a thirteen orphans finish in mahjong. Tricky hand to get since you need to draw every tile yourself, though you can claim the final tile from another player’s discard.

I almost got it again later. I was two tiles short when someone else won.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: August 30, 2023, 06:57:18 pm »

Playing as the clock girl (looked it up, Ouro Kronii) in Holocure. No collabs or special weapons allowed, so to make it easier just one level of +enemies turned on.

I got the achievement for that, for having haste over +100%, and winning as her (since the achievements were added).

Took max (so many extra points) on the items slots: +coins, lab coat (+exp if you don't get hit), +exp, Halu (more enemies who are also stronger, and you get some coins at the end as a reward), headphones with a 35% chance (at max) to ignore damage and knock all enemies back, and Knight Milk (bigger attacks, and you pick up xp, food, and coins from further away).

I did have the +haste, bigger weapons, and +5/10/15% attack per empty weapon slot stamps. 5 empty weapon slots when you don't allow special weapons.

Edit: Another dumb one today. Couch Potato achievement: don't move at all. It's a Vampire Survivors-like.

So, for a dumb achievement, I used a dumb character. Ceres Fauna has abilities that heal, and ones that do damage to a random enemy when you heal, encouraging you to just run into piles of enemies. Her weapon can't be aimed until it's maxed out , and just kind of floats around you. Then her special ability heals you and makes you invulnerable as long as you're in range of it (which, when you're not moving, and it starts centered on you...), which is great for making bosses accomplish nothing against you.

Took Knight Milk (more pick-up range, which is useful when you can't walk over xp to pick it up), breastplate (damage reduction, and chance to do damage back to the enemy), and nurse's horns (heal when you kill something) before finally getting my xp glasses. BL Books and Spider Cooking are great close-range AOE attacks, so xp falls near you. I also managed the "level 4 times in 1 second" achievement (time spent in the level-up menu doesn't count) when I upgraded my pick-up range and grabbed an xp magnet thing.

I grabbed wamy water for collabs, which work better if you can get to an anvil. The knockback there cost me some levels. I won anyway.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 06:29:10 pm by Iduno »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: September 01, 2023, 07:44:52 am »

Level three against a level 5 boss phase spider with two level 3 phase spiders and a small swarm of level 1 hatchlings.

I got a surprise round off, which let me dispense of the regular phase spiders. The hatchlings I managed to splat with liberal use of a cleave and my rogue's two bonus actions and an offhand attack. The boss, however, had 125hp and an attack that would down anyone who didn't have full hp. Despite that, I managed to steadily chip away at the thing until it finally gave up the ghost. Everyone was downed at least once, but being able to throw healing potions was insanely useful.

Baldur's Gate 3

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: September 01, 2023, 02:42:57 pm »

Defeated the Hand of the King on 1BC/New Game+ mode, earning me the "honor" of stepping up to 2BC/New Game++ mode. Major shoutout goes to the legendary weapon I found about halfway through my run, whose special ability changed my weapon from one that you normally have to charge for a second to inflict critical hits to one that just always throws out criticals. The massive increase in damage output allowed me to mostly facetank the boss; beating him in a DPS dual.

For something closer to *me* owning, rather than just my equipment, I managed to flawless The Concierge, the first boss you encounter. This actually required some skill, since I had to stay the hell away from him (in a very small arena), dodging his attacks while I peppered him with arrows. That one earned me an achievement and a golden skin unlock.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: September 01, 2023, 08:48:01 pm »

Spoiler: an avenged death (click to show/hide)

Managed to win that next run, with the Ion Blast II, a Heavy Ion, and Heavy Laser Mk 1 for weapons, plus a ridiculous number of drones because I just kept getting them as rewards: 1 Defense II (that saved the run at least once on its own), a combat and a beam drone, and enough power in the system to run two of them at a time.

This time I also upgraded my Pilot upon getting to sector 8, not that it mattered since the first phase the hacker drone hacked the Pilot system :| I got through it though, and the tactic of getting through the shields with a combination of drones and ions worked a treat, then switching the ion blast to the enemy system causing me the biggest trouble at any given time (NO MORE MIND CONTROL) meant I could just watch as my ship tore the bugger to bits.

I unlocked the Federation Cruiser as a consequence, so I get to do that as a run for a bit, with the goal of unlocking the variants of it in the mean time.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: September 04, 2023, 07:56:37 am »

Honestly, flak is probably one of the best weapons in general, and two flak IIs will shred even the flagship. If you get the opportunity, buy them. Level 4 shields mean nothing compared to a ceaseless wave of shrapnel. Seriously, it's 14 shots with a not too bad cooldown, just target a big room and only one or two will miss.
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 711