Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Colorado Caravan Thread! signups and promises plz  (Read 4476 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Colorado Caravan Thread! signups and promises plz
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 06:35:55 pm »

wait, that was a special deal if i could get 5 more people with me for a charter, regular travel on passenger is $389 >_>

Wait, Southwest reports $269 if we stop at Sacramento instead of Redding O_o
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:43:05 pm by Tellemurius »

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 11:47:01 am »

Yea, well the charter might be a good idea if we can swing 5 people in for it, but we are at 3.
At 269 you are now talking about the vicinity of a one way gas trip. That plus a car plus another person (without calculating end destination food or lodging) gives you the trip.

The thing with driving is we can help others along the route who might want to go but can't, without hurting us.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 01:17:43 pm »

Yea, might keep my car depending the mood of my parents when I move out of the house abruptly.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 10:56:39 pm »

So we have a date figured out now. Are we still going to try and drive, or are people planning to take a plane? I vote for driving. if driving,  we need to figure out when we're leaving, where we're stopping, and how long we're staying. We should also probably try and find some more people, I know I saw another one on the main thread.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 10:57:50 pm »

Driving still, i now have access to a car, means though i will be bringing a passenger with me but yes i got a car!

dudecon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 05:01:18 pm »

I'm not in CO, but just thought I'd mention that driving straight through is a very real option. You don't need to pay for places to sleep that way, and get there faster. Plus... Adventure!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 05:32:20 pm »

I-70 is a bitch and time consuming to drive through. Apparently taking US6 is quick to Utah.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 08:06:06 pm »

Kogan says that it's a 1300 mile drive. Even at 70 mph, thats still 18 and a half hours of driving. I don't think that's even legal, let alone practical. The only way I see we could manage that is if we had several drivers in each car and we had them switch off or something, which would still be an utter bitch. I think we're going to have to stop and sleep at least once. that leaves us with a little bit more than 9 hours a day, which is still painful but is a lot more doable.

edit-

If we do stop to sleep, do we actually have to pay for rooms, or is it legal to set up tents in empty parking lots and such? Or just sleep in the cars? It's not very comfortable, but if legal it would save on money.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:26:52 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 08:11:50 pm »

Yea I got a license and I guess he has one too so that can work but someone needs to stay up with us so its not fricking boring.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 08:33:56 am »

Kogan says that it's a 1300 mile drive. Even at 70 mph, thats still 18 and a half hours of driving. I don't think that's even legal, let alone practical. The only way I see we could manage that is if we had several drivers in each car and we had them switch off or something, which would still be an utter bitch. I think we're going to have to stop and sleep at least once. that leaves us with a little bit more than 9 hours a day, which is still painful but is a lot more doable.

edit-

If we do stop to sleep, do we actually have to pay for rooms, or is it legal to set up tents in empty parking lots and such? Or just sleep in the cars? It's not very comfortable, but if legal it would save on money.
Having done this sort of thing before...

I do not believe there is any laws reguarding POVs, but following the laws for truck driving is generally good practice. 3 hour "bursts" with 30-45 minutes in between for about 3-4 times works very well with long cross-country driving. You can alternate drivers like that and go non-stop across half the country without any significant fatigue, though it really depends on the driver. The important thing is not to drive while tired, and to keep your focus by taking breaks. 4 hours per break is generally recognized as the ideal for concentration. Fortunately rest stops are generally more common than that ;)
The fun part is to see the petrified chief's droppings along the way (what my family calls all the little sites which claim historical significance but you won't find in any history book ever. Usually they are at rest stops.)

I-70 isn't the only potential route. The exact route should depend on if we need to pick someone up along the way or not.
US 6 IS I-70.

Also, the more people crammed into one vehicle, the more that can split the cost of gas and the more who can be used to ensure it's a safe drive, but also the less space available. It's a $540 gas bill I believe, more or less depending on MPG and price of gas at each gas station. At $200 flight per person (which I can't find), that means it's more economical for 3 people to go in 1 car than 3 in airplanes.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 11:10:50 pm »

Where is everybody? Surely there are more people than this. o.0
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:12:58 pm by Angle »

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 02:55:14 pm »

I'll be in Florida at the time; if this happens next year I could pull it off.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 11:21:40 am »

Yea, apparently nobody who wants to go...

Can't remember the names of everyone who lived in Colorado or I'd personally talk to them... Meh.

My brother would love to go, but has to work.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 11:46:14 pm »

I'm afraid that I have failed to land a job, and so will not be able to contribute much money. I'd still like to go, though, if it's possible. Who else is still interested?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 05:40:27 pm »

My funds fell through too. I can still go, and can drive, but unless we can come up with a car and gas, I don't see this happening :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3