Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Lolumbom, Woodhome - Surface Fort  (Read 10593 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lolumbom, Woodhome - Surface Fort
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 06:27:20 pm »

heh, best part is, once you get a kiln, clay is fire proof. So you can make tons of them at your leisure.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 11:12:36 pm »

yeah...the clay...
see, that kiln is gonna take until next caravan to be built, if you know what I mean...

can haz fire-proof building material plz? NO! CANNOTHAZ FIRE-PROOF BUILDING MATERIAL!!!

uhhh, isn't the ash that's made from the wood burners a fireproof material that can be used for furnaces/forges?

8O
SRSLY? CANHAZ FIRE-PROOF BUILDING MATERIAL!!!
Lol that is so ironic though. Burning stuff...makes them fireproof. Actually, that's true IRL, the only difference is, well you can't build stuff out of ash IRL.

or you could have just deconstructed one of your other fireproof buildings temporarily... 
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 12:34:36 am »

yeah...the clay...
see, that kiln is gonna take until next caravan to be built, if you know what I mean...

can haz fire-proof building material plz? NO! CANNOTHAZ FIRE-PROOF BUILDING MATERIAL!!!

uhhh, isn't the ash that's made from the wood burners a fireproof material that can be used for furnaces/forges?

8O
SRSLY? CANHAZ FIRE-PROOF BUILDING MATERIAL!!!
Lol that is so ironic though. Burning stuff...makes them fireproof. Actually, that's true IRL, the only difference is, well you can't build stuff out of ash IRL.

or you could have just deconstructed one of your other fireproof buildings temporarily...

Yes, this.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 10:14:23 am »

Second chapter, yay!

Chapter 2

25th Opal
The wood cutters continue to outpace the carpenters, so I'd like to move some of them to carpentry. I've only got four wood cutters, though, so instead I'll just wait for more migrants.

6th Obsidian
Okay, in an attempt to slow the wood cutters down and speed the carpenters up, the wood cutters are now dragging their own wood back to the piles, whereas before they just stayed out there chopping trees. I've also assigned two new carpenters, who were previously responsible for hauling all the wood. One is named Lor, and the other is named Haika. Haika actually had a great idea recently, he told me using something called pottery, we could build walls out of clay! I'm surprised an art so dangerously elf-like isn't common knowledge among the Free Carpenters already!

9th Obsidian
Okay, I dunno what happened, but apparently Elite Taco and Ahra are each nursing a grudge towards one another. Now I'm no psychologist, but I'm pretty sure I know how to solve this: locking both of them in a room together for a few months...and hoping they don't kill each other. It's (almost) guaranteed to work! Okay...Ushrir, our doctor (who's actually a carpenter because nobody's hurt) tells me that is probably only going to make them both unhappy. Oh well. :/

Wait, wait...hold on. Elite Taco is a woman (OOC: don't worry, so am I) and...Ahra is a man...hm.... Seclusion chambers tend to generate children among dwarven kind, almost without fail...*mad scheming begins*

24th Obsidian
Well, our first year in exile is drawing to a close, and we're pretty well settled. We have more food and drink then we'll need for five years, and our biggest problem continues to be how build our roofs faster...also, how to make suitable trade goods. It seems bone crafting is not quite sustainable, and wood crafting even less so.

Anyways, in yet another attempt to build the roof faster, I temporarily asked the wood cutters to ONLY haul the wood they had already cut. Soon I may ask them to become carpenter's for a while.

10th Slate
You know how you build the roof faster? More immigrants! Yay!
Unbelievable! One of our migrants managed to avoid being drafted as a carpenter! A high master grower, who will replace Elite Taco in farming duties.

22nd Slate
Damn badgers. They attacked Sheb, and I only just found out about it. I'm mobilizing the militia, but I doubt it'll be enough...

23rd Slate
Sheb bled to death early this morning. Even yet the day dawns red, and vengeance shall be wrought here at Lolumbom, Woodhome! ARGH!!!!
Crap. Ahra died too. Sorry guys. :(
Minkot has died.
OMG! Sheb didn't die! Shem died instead! w00t! I mean...er...sorry Shem, I didn't mean it like that, it's just...ah whatever
Okay...now Sheb has died.

3rd Felsite
I've called off the attack. Six of our dwarves and a dog died in the attack. In return we killed...ONE F***ING BADGER??!?! NO! THEY CAN'T GET AWAY WITH THIS TRAVESTY! BACK TO WAR DWARVES!!! LEROOOOOOY...JENKINS!!!!!

10th Felsite
Shade bled to death. Sorry Shade! On the up side, we have now killed 3 giant badgers, 2 of whom had become legendary. Our population is down to 12 from 19...ouch. We'll begin constructing coffins for the dead ASAP.

A quick survey of the dwarves showed a few concerns. Our new, amazing farmer has lost his left hand, which may slow him down, I don't know. Also, Slax has been very unhappy. Seems she (yes, it's a woman, deal with it), is a pessimist, and after losing a friend in battle, well...

Okay, here's the plan. Three wood cutters with copper and bronze battle axes. Nobody else gets in or out. I'm replacing my draw bridges (which can't even be hooked up to levers because we have no stone) with doors. We've got Elite Taco making food, everyone else is a carpenter. We're going to take this fence, and make it into a freaking DWARF FORTRESS!!!

21st Felsite
Argh...I've just found out...you apparently can't build walls on floors. Can't build walls on top of floors?!?? Why the heck not?! What are our floors made of, yarn? No! They're made of trees, hand crafted to perfection with dwarven sweat and toil! Now go build me a wall on that floor! ...No? No, not going to do it? ...Alright, I'll think of something.

Slax is still very unhappy. In fact, she's so upset she's been taken to random outbursts as of late. She looked a little happier after yelling at me though, so I can allow it.

3rd Hematite
Darn. We still haven't gotten our fallen soldiers buried yet, and now Slax is throwing a tantrum. Hopefully we'll all be able to pull through this.

14th Hematite
One of our dogs was badly hurt in the battle, but survived. I've asked Ushrir, our medic, to patch her up. But that will have to wait until Stukos, now a hardened wrestling soldier, recovers.

26th Hematite
Wow, I just realized how many chicks and kittens we have. We're slaughtering all of them but the female kittens. 8)
I'm also happy to anounce that after much yelling at me, Slax is finally cheering up. Yay! No tanrum spiral!

2nd Malachite
Okay, we've seriously got so many chicks now that we've had to set up more butchers. We have 5 dwarves manning 5 butcher's shops non-stop...kinda gruesome, actually...they're so cute...NO! Must...save...framerate!

12th Malachite
Migrants! And the first one is a talented bone carver.

14th Malachite
Racoons are bothering us again, so I've mobilized the squad to kill them off. I mean, they're only raccoons, right? *shudders at the recollection of the badgers*

18th Malachite
Slax is unhappy again. Probably because last time she yelled at me, I yelled back and she only got angrier. Well, I was under a lot of stress, it's hard keeping this place afloat. I've taken her out of the squad, she deserves a break. We all do...
Oh and look! We just killed the last raccoon. Now we just have to avoid the unicorns.

20th Malachite
Our bone carver just ran out of unrotten bones. There's plenty of rotten ones, though. I've ordered the extra butcher's shops be removed. If our bone carver can't keep up with the slaughter then our livestock just lost half their value.

27th Malachite
Ducim, our wounded war dog, has not recovered and never will.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It is with heavy hearts that we lay her to rest. In the butcher's shop. And then eat her. Well we're running a fortress here, we can't afford sentimentality!

3rd Galena
I just found out that Ducim has been returning to the corpse of his owner every few days. Now that's touching but...okay that's really touching. Well, I'm just glad I'm not the one killing her. I will be the one eating her, however.

5th Galena
We slaughtered her today. We're already carving her bones into cutlery and instruments. (OOC: Actually our bone carver is getting drunk right now. Maybe it's to make the job easier on her conscience?)

17th Galena
Crap. One of our soldiers, Inod, has returned as a ghost. I know we made a casket for him, but did anyone actually put the corpse in? Anyone? No? Crap.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

7th Limestone
Two of our puppies have grown into dogs, so I'm going to train them in the kennel. We need all the defense we can get.

--

And that's chapter 2! Lotsa dwarfs died, many named ones (pretty sure I noted all of them)
If you want a replacement dwarf, let me know.
Also, just realized I got no pictures of the badger war. Sorry about that.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 10:20:18 am »

Remove he floor and place walls where the floor was. Walls count as three tiles. A wall, a floor, and another floor (on top of the wall).
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 10:41:43 am »

WWWWWWHHHHHYYYYY!!!!!!!
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011, 12:00:53 pm »

the talented bonecrafter. Name him "shade II"
on a side note, badgers are evil. in a surface fort you won't be mining for iron or the sort, so the only weapons are wooden...it should suffice to say that sieges WILL be difficult. Really. Keep everyone inside the walls at ALL times, and make sure that there are at least more than three doors between entrance in the fort and outside. (this because a dwarf or a sock might block one door. it may happen for the second. But even the third...that's sabotage.
replace door with bridges when you can and try to move the water into a moat...but since you can't channel it, you should use two walls as "sides" of the moat, and then pump through a pump the water in between the two channels, effectively making a WWW (Wall Water Wall).
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 02:42:55 pm »

Don't builld a grave for m! I want to haunt the fortress!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 04:46:36 pm »

Shall I deconstruct the already built one? :P

This is an island, so hopefully it will be at least a few years before I get sieges, and by then I can trade for metal and an anvil and shtuff. Hopefully.
In hindsight though, there's a few things I wish I had done differently: I wish I hadn't built so big from the start, it took a year just to finish my initial perimiter. I also wish I'd been more careful/prepared with my bone carving industry. Ah well. I'm still alive! :)

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2011, 09:54:48 pm »

Your last post reminded me of portal. When you dieing ill be still alive!
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 12:15:00 am »

Yeah, destroy it!

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 02:25:49 pm »

This is an island, so hopefully it will be at least a few years before I get sieges...

unless there's a goblin civ on that island or you've embarked close to the mainland, so you can see both mainland tiles and island tiles in the local screen (ocean tiles adjacent to the mainland count) , you won't have any goblin Christmas.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 02:52:15 pm »

This is an island, so hopefully it will be at least a few years before I get sieges...

unless there's a goblin civ on that island or you've embarked close to the mainland, so you can see both mainland tiles and island tiles in the local screen (ocean tiles adjacent to the mainland count) , you won't have any goblin Christmas.
i thought that as long as it isnt an embark with all 4 corners on the sea (16*16 to say) things will just spawn from somewhere.
cuz it's dwarfen forgotten beastly christmas...to youuuuuuuuuuu.
*ending song*
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 12:30:43 pm »

i've embarked on plenty of islands in the middle of the ocean (and the occasional lake) and only ever seen dwarfs, Forgotten Beasts and occasionally clowns. try setting an embark zone on an island and while still in the embark screen check what neighbors you have, unless boats have been implemented in this version you should only get your parent civ.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 01:07:29 pm »

Well, it is our duty to dig down to the cavern to show that we are able to cope with it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4