Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A slightly draconic project of mine  (Read 5453 times)

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
A slightly draconic project of mine
« on: April 28, 2011, 03:02:35 pm »

So, after 15 dwarven years of sieges, countless re-designs, a small tantrum outbreak and innumerable cases of falling ceilings, walls, dwarves (half of them into a volcano) and the occasional bear, my first megaproject is physically finished. After a handful of successful forts, being the freak I am, I decided to make the next fort dragon-themed for the hell of it. I originally just wanted to have a little welcoming obsidian dragon statue at the entrance, while focusing more on the interior, but things got a little out of hand.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
^^ Do note the absolutely horrified elf hiding in the right foreleg's toes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
^^ An inner magma cistern for workshops

- Now breathes magma

After some thought, I have come to the conclusion that the most fitting course of action is to move the (useful portion of the) population inside the statue á la Bomepie's MegadorfTM. I even have a pet dragon for Xzibit potential. The details are still open though. Shall the mayor have his own level, or is he banished to the tail? What is the proper place in a dragon to house a dragon? Additional lethal mechanisms? Inane suggestions welcome!

Update: Redid screens with new Overseer version, working on uploading the map to DFMA when the verification starts working and maybe a save if someone's still interested. I'm mostly done with this, although I never got around to completely finishing the migration. Most of the necessities exit, though.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:16:27 pm by SlimyMarmot »

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
Re: A slightly draconic project of mine
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:20:58 pm »

House the dragon on top of the dragon's head.

The nobles get rooms in the flame magma pipe.

As for internal features, have 'veins' and 'organs' with different purposes, the veins being used to transport liquid and the organs being machine chambers. Preferably Dwarfputers.

Spare flesh is rooms for respected citizens.

w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Ascarona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:28:48 pm »

That looks amazing, but maybe you should flesh out the torso a bit more if you're planning on moving stuff in it.
Be sure to relocate your main dining room in hell as well, and make the obvious joke about it.
It's just immoral to let elves leave the map without being robbed at least a little.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 03:29:03 pm »

Magmafall from the mouth.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 03:57:02 pm »

That looks amazing, but maybe you should flesh out the torso a bit more if you're planning on moving stuff in it.

It crossed my mind, but the thought of doing another change to the lower levels is so irritating that I'd rather murder more of my population to lighten the space requirements.
EDIT: And now I did it anyway, I hate myself.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:06:23 pm by SlimyMarmot »

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:25:06 pm »

Nice. Very nice.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 04:36:19 pm »

Impressive and classy.

Perhaps you should catch another dragon, and house one in each eye? Symmetry is important, after all!

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 04:50:13 pm »

I say capture an opposite gender dragon, then breed the two together, and put the babies in the mouth.

Then when traders annoy you, open the mouth and push out a few baby dragons on the depot.

Good times shall be had by all.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 06:56:59 pm »

Magmafall from the mouth.
This.

Very dorfy, anyway. If you intend to make veins inside it, I recommend filling them with magma.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 07:45:43 pm »

You should change the spikes into ramps. or maybe just actual spike traps. That way you can either see them as spikes in overseer or impale goblins on them, respectively.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:23:03 pm »

The tail is close, but not quite where Nobles go. :)

Glass magma bulbs simulating it breathing fire.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 09:21:31 pm »

Put the dragon in/behind the mouth, with the nobles in the skull. The baron/king is in one eye, and the mayor in the other. The magma forge should obviously be the heart. The peasants can go live in the intestines!

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 10:53:14 am »

This is beautiful...  :o . How did you designate all that??? My 10 z level marble execution tower took ages....

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 10:54:40 am »

This is beautiful...  :o . How did you designate all that??? My 10 z level marble execution tower took ages....
He said he had a lot of masons.

A lot.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 02:30:46 pm »

I had around 60 active builders I think. Designation was painful, but eventually I got the hang of building in a way that allowed me to designate as much as possible before letting loose the dabbling brickmonglers.
Operation magma circulatory system is a go. Perhaps the nobles' rooms can act as organs that have their own blood vessels...
Pages: [1] 2 3