Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FB Defense Force vs The Circus?  (Read 2074 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FB Defense Force vs The Circus?
« on: April 28, 2011, 02:38:06 pm »

I've caged about 10 Forgotten Beasts and have them all triggered to several levers. They're also my experimental failsafe defense force, and I would like to see if they're up to the ultimate challenge. I'm guessing I'm only a few z levels away from reaching the Circus, so I would like to know if you guys have any tips for me regarding this.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: FB Defense Force vs The Circus?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 02:45:04 pm »

I'm personally not sure whether FBs and Horrible Forces of Satan will fight each other. I'd say go for it, but first you need to A) save your game and backup the save if you consider this an experiment only and wish to savescum, B) seal off the area where the fight may or may not take place, sacrificing the miner that breaches the tube, obviously, and C) post the results.
Also, give a reminder in the thread title that this is, in fact, a thread of spoilers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 02:46:36 pm »

As far as I'm aaware, FBs won't attack demons. So yeah.
くコ:彡

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 03:42:14 pm »

I once heard a story of a rock tarantula that a player used to kill the entire initial entourage of clowns. Nothing short of a cave in could kill that thing.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:10 pm »

I once heard a story of a rock tarantula that a player used to kill the entire initial entourage of clowns. Nothing short of a cave in could kill that thing.
I think that that was a zombie magma crab or somesuch, actually, before the undead hit point system was implemented. The clowns in that story supposedly used nothing but flame and piercing attacks. Fire was ineffective against the creature that lived in magma, while piercing attacks didn't do much because it was a zombie, so the thing just slowly took out the whole circus, one at a time.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:02:21 pm »

Can HFS be effected by deadly dust? And do FBs shoot dust to places they can't path to?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 04:11:36 pm »

Can HFS be effected by deadly dust? And do FBs shoot dust to places they can't path to?

Depends on the type of dust. If its the cave-in type then yes it will hit everything nearby.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 04:26:32 pm »

Try repeating spike traps. They work wonders.
Those just aren't as !!FUN!! as fighting HFS with giant dust spewing hairy crabs made from alunite.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 05:24:05 pm »

Another option is using danger-roomed gobbos. Give them nowhere to run to and they'll have no choice but to fight. If they win and you don't think you could kill them, give them a path to the surface and let them leave/trap them for another time.

As for deadly dust, even if FBs don't attack demons, you could use a timed release of poultry(say, with a pressure plate that's activated by water opening a cage and the floodgate to the next plate) to spook the FB and make him throw out dust every few seconds as a new turkey gets thrown out.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »

The FBs just sort of ignored the HFS until one of them got a little close. Body count: All FBs dead, 27 Dead clowns, and about 6 severely injured ones.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 06:44:45 pm »

The FBs just sort of ignored the HFS until one of them got a little close. Body count: All FBs dead, 27 Dead clowns, and about 6 severely injured ones.
So FBs fight clowns. I think we just found a new way to defeat the carnival.

How many FBs you used for that, btw?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 06:56:37 pm »

Exactly 1 dozen FBs.

acer_palmatum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 07:02:23 pm »

Exactly 1 dozen FBs.

Nice, I had a cage of 20-22 FB's in my main dining hall attached to a panic switch. When the fortress fell to a spiral and I pulled the lever to release them and the game crashed within 30 seconds.

I don't think it helped that there were at least 3-4 dust ones and 2 fire ones. All of the alcohol in the dining room instantly caught on fire while the melancholy urist's filled the well with their blood.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 07:03:36 pm »

Gotta say, for 33 casualties with a dozen FBs, you're almost better off just using your normal dwarven army.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.
Pages: [1] 2