Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Embarking over an ENTIRE island.  (Read 11180 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking over an ENTIRE island.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 09:22:44 am »

Islands have no access to other nations, so you won't get traders and sieges even if you embark on a small area.
Not sure about migrants, probably the same situation.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 09:55:54 am »

Islands have no access to other nations, so you won't get traders and sieges even if you embark on a small area.
Not sure about migrants, probably the same situation.
You can get migrants and dwarven traders.

But if you embark over the whole island, I'm not sure.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 11:50:43 am »

I remember there was a whole thread and discussion about this a year or so ago. migrants and traders don't show up since they need an edge with ground to stand on, so no sieges migrants or traders. this means your entire fort will be reliant on births to grow also no wildlife will wander in from the edge, but as happened with my island fort, if the water freezes in winter they will migrate off. the caves span the world, I dont know how this will effect dwarf mode, but I did walk through the underground from one island to another before.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 12:02:09 pm »

You need some natural land on the edge of the map to form a spawn point where land creatures can spawn from.

Upside is that all sieges (if you are on a peninsula) will all spawn there, so you can park your military there and be ready for them.

If there is no natural land at all you're completely on your own. No sieges, no caravans, nothing. Just the original 7.

Also, while a 16x16 embark would be amazing, your FPS will be horrendous. You will not be able to exploit such a perfect landscape without the game rapidly grinding to a halt. :(

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 12:37:53 pm »

Also, while a 16x16 embark would be amazing, your FPS will be horrendous. You will not be able to exploit such a perfect landscape without the game rapidly grinding to a halt. :(
On the plus side, you're guaranteed to have a stick of cotton candy in the Fun house!

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 01:58:37 pm »

People spent months looking for isolated islands like this in 40d. If any part of the land touches the border of your embark, you can get stuff coming in there. Otherwise, it's completely isolated from everything, or that was how it used to work, at least.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 02:01:05 pm »

People spent months looking for isolated islands like this in 40d. If any part of the land touches the border of your embark, you can get stuff coming in there. Otherwise, it's completely isolated from everything, or that was how it used to work, at least.

For anything to reach your fortress it needs a tile on the edge of the map it can spawn on.

If there are no tiles on the edge of the map for anything to spawn on, you will not get any above ground visitors. You will still get cave creatures, but no sieges or caravans.

If there are a few ground tiles that touch the edge of the map then all visitors will spawn on those few tiles, allowing you to channel all visitors right where you want them. I exploited this in Snaketributes, and also in my current fortress Bodicespots, which is a remake of Snaketributes in ice rather than fire.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 03:30:45 pm »

On my beach map (which only has water on two sides), I've had migrants come in during the winter over the ice.  Dunno how this would play out on a total island embark though.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 03:40:15 pm »

I played on an island which was in a body of water that froze in winter.  The first winter all of the resident animals migrated away over the ice, and none ever came back.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 03:44:11 pm »

i have never found suh an island so i ask what someone else should have alredy ...
SeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEeeeeeeeeeed please !!!!
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 04:23:55 pm »

I played on an island which was in a body of water that froze in winter.  The first winter all of the resident animals migrated away over the ice, and none ever came back.

Animals have uncanny senses. In this case, an uncanny sense that "pretty soon someone's going to come out of that door, slaughter all of us, and make quivers from our tender hides."

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 04:40:23 pm »

I did recently come across an island that was more around 10x12. Still too much for my computer to handle, though. Froze the whole dang thing up trying to embark.

Migrants definitely arrive if you have any land at the edge though, which I find a bit disappointing. I liked trying to pit seven dwarfs against the world in the older versions.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 05:46:05 pm »

I've found an island that can safely fit on a 9x5 (including a 1x buffer of ocean to guarantee a lack of migrants and such.) It's in a cold biome though: I do NOT suggest using it because it will crash anything that wasn't built for NASA when it freezes/thaws.

I used the Perfect World program to produce the world with so many islands, so I'd have to actually upload the file, if you're interested, because it's 450kb and the majority of it is the entry for that world :P

The process, if you feel like actually doing it yourself and making it interesting, is to basically use Perfect World to design a world with a landmass or many with mountain ranges for civilizations to exist upon, then draw hundreds of tiny, 1-pixel islands and export it to your world_gen.txt. Remember which one you saved it to, and use the advanced generation parameters to generate a world with it to your liking. Look around, eventually you'll find one or two appropriately sized islands. It's easier to search them all if you export a detailed image by biome and view it in MSpaint or some other program.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:48:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 06:16:45 pm »

Problem with islands is that things can get boring due to no invaders.

A peninsula is probably ideal so you get both the huge island portion, plus annual goblinite imports.

Jfqs6m

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 08:17:13 pm »

Boom. Saw this thread and went searching for my own. Found it within about 10 minutes. Not that big either. Running at about 26 fps. and 1.7gb of RAM used =X

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4