Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Embarking over an ENTIRE island.  (Read 11172 times)

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
Embarking over an ENTIRE island.
« on: April 27, 2011, 09:20:31 pm »

I've found islands out in the middle of the ocean in the local map that if I spread out my embark area to 16x16, I could embark over the entire thing. This would make ALL of the borders of my map in to water.

How would the game handle migrants, traders, invaders, etc?

Would they just not show up?

Or would they show up and drown?

If they won't show up, I know how I'm going to make my starting 7 only fortress...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking over an ENTIRE island.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27:47 pm »

I have no idea.  Maybe they can come in through the caverns?  This calls for science.  Load her up with weather and temperature off and see if the fps is tolerable.  If so it might be worthwhile to play, since you're probably not going to see the same kind of fps death as you would with invaders and migrants.
At last, she is done.

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:30:27 pm »

I have no idea.  Maybe they can come in through the caverns?  This calls for science.  Load her up with weather and temperature off and see if the fps is tolerable.  If so it might be worthwhile to play, since you're probably not going to see the same kind of fps death as you would with invaders and migrants.

Oh boy! !science!

Looking for another island small enough to embark across.

I think I've found one, it exists entirely within one local sqaure, but it touches the right edges of that square.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:34:10 pm »

you can't embark on a 16x16 area (without heavy modding to remove stuff) no matter how good your computer is. It causes DF to use too much memory and crash/lock up.

AFAIK in previous versions (when there were many less zlevels so it didn't use so much memory) you just never got migrants/caravans/invaders, though I do remember a bug report about migrants magically appearing out of nowhere in the middle of the island somewhere. I never experimented with it very much because it was very laggy so I can't really confirm one way or the other.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:34:40 pm »

Nice. I've wanted to try this myself, but I could never find an island small enough. I think, (not certain), but I think that sieges can appear in the caverns. Though, if I remember right, being on an island will only give you access to your own civ, so that would mean no sieges regardless.

I shall follow your progress with interest, sir.

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:37:52 pm »

Ok. Yeah, as I expected.

Dwarf Fort crashes and ends itself if I try to embark in too large of an area.

I won't have access to my slightly better computer until tomorrow, so if anyone wants to attempt !science!, please do.

It takes a bit of searching, but if you gen a large world with a short history, it shouldn't take long to find an island suitable for this.

Edit-

Just read BurnedToast's post.

I guess we all start looking for a smaller island with all ocean borders?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:39:56 pm by DoctorMonch »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:40:05 pm »

If you are genning new worlds you could try reducing cavern number and size so that there are few z-levels worth of stuff to kill your CPU and memory.
At last, she is done.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 09:57:24 pm »

I've done this something months ago, on an older version, of course. There was once a bug that, if you embarked across biomes, map entrants could spawn along that line dividing biomes, as though it were the map edge. This, I believe, has since been fixed. Barring that bug, nobody shows up, not even your first couple waves of migrants, if there's nowhere for them to show up on. They don't come in through the caverns either.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 11:52:48 pm »

you can't embark on a 16x16 area (without heavy modding to remove stuff) no matter how good your computer is. It causes DF to use too much memory and crash/lock up.

This isn't accurate, because I just did without any modding to remove stuff at all. Wasn't an island, though, couldn't find one small enough =[
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:07:30 am by Zeranamu »

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 12:03:26 am »

This isn't accurate, because I just did without any modding at all. Wasn't an island, though, couldn't find one small enough =[

You can do a 16x16 if the number of z levels is low enough. Basically reduce caverns to 1 and lower the required layers and you can find a 16x16 that will run.

But it will be unmanageable in the long run.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 12:04:58 am »

I actually have every layer set to 25 in the world pref thing. I probably have a good fifty z-levels or so between each cavern... It gave me a flat 50 fps so far and I've done a bit of digging, even after the caverns collapsed on embark. But yeah, unmanageable in the long run I'm sure.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 01:18:56 am »

I've been looking for an embark like that every time i run world gen, nothing so far, i want my island :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 01:39:01 am »

This isn't accurate, because I just did without any modding to remove stuff at all. Wasn't an island, though, couldn't find one small enough =[

ah, apologies then, I suppose if the caverns are close enough together and the surface is not too high up it can squeeze in to the memory limit then, even without modding. World size and history length might factor in too (or maybe not), I don't know how it works exactly.

I'd be afraid the first caravan or siege would put you over the limit and bring the whole thing crashing down, though.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 01:45:17 am »

Oh, it was taking almost 2GB of ram at the time and I had barely done any digging. I completely agree with the unmanageability of it, though. That's just too big for me, though I did just stumble across an island that fits in a 14x15 if you want to cut some of the ocean out. Has a volcano, too. Hmm.

EDIT: And to go back to the OP, does the embark actually need to be bordered with water? Or is the fact that it is an island period prevent the migrants and stuff? Cause I've found two now that will fit in a 14x15 (15x14?), trying to see if I can't get smaller ones to generate. What about 'islands' that have a border touching the edge of the world map? Hmm.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:54:54 am by Zeranamu »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 09:04:31 am »

In my experience, if you have a land border on your embark site then you get migrants, caravans, and everything else even though technically you are on an island.  I think I only got caravans from my own civ, though.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4