Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creatures.  (Read 2261 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creatures.
« on: April 27, 2011, 05:29:28 pm »

That game with Norns and stuff. I don't have it but want it.

Regale me with tales of the other side/

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creatures.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:31:07 pm »

Creatures was the best in terms of genetics (at least in base game, Creatures 2 had a bunch of new norns that completely revamped their genetics and made them, you know, actually survive, I don't think Creatures 3 really had anything of the sort, though) and I'd recommend it if you're wondering which one to get.

I wish they'd make a sequel instead of making shitty games for the BBC.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:51:57 pm »

Umm...Grandroids?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:52:37 pm »

Umm...Grandroids?

Looks immensely creepy and really not what I'm after.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:55:02 pm »

Umm...Grandroids?

How can you tell?  There aren't any screenshots whatsoever that can claim any relevance to the project.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:52:35 pm »

Yah, the only screenshots they've had for Grandroids are either Placeholder art of Proof-of-Concept ideas, nothing at all legit.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:04:20 pm »

Umm...Grandroids?

Besides what the others have said about the pics, its just about the same thing by the same guy, but technologically upgraded and not stuck to the BBC. Unless you're just asking for stories, i don't understand what you're looking for.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:18:32 pm »

It hardly matters talking about Gandroids. Unless your part of the donatothon (and paid substantially) you won't get to know anything about it for possible a year+

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 09:38:27 pm »

Sort of reads to me that he's looking for people to tell him how good, cool, awesome, or poor, bad, shit the game is.  Not recommend other games, concepts, or interject their personal ideas.

For me, Creatures was a blast, I loved the original 2 games....did not play any after which though.

I would highly recommend either of them...loads of fun to be had, whether your going to nurture your norns, leave them to their own devices, or play god/devil and do what whim fancies you at the time, you will have a good time doing so.

Take care,

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 04:21:55 am »

How can you tell?  There aren't any screenshots whatsoever that can claim any relevance to the project.

So, he's not basing it off his creepy monkeydroids?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 12:19:34 pm »

So, he's not basing it off his creepy monkeydroids?

No.

This is the only "in-game" screenshot we have so far, with a placeholder creature.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/don21a/Grandroid.png
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 12:30:27 pm »

Creatures was great fun. I remember being a giddy little dork and ordering Creatures 3 from overseas... had to save up for a while to get it, and then wait a year or so for a new computer that could run it. It was definitely worth the wait; if The Sims is like a fishtank with people in it, Creatures is like an aquarium filled with a complete alien world. I grew attached to my Norns, explored the game-world with a pair of them, taught them language with dialectal quirks for different regions, and watched them breed and evolve over time. Sometimes I'd leave it running in the background, and duck in to watch them wander around and interact with others and their little world, and having a spectrum of responses to encountering strange critters, or others of their kind who they were seeing for the first time.

It had a sense of vastness akin to the greater one you get from playing Dwarf Fortress, just with a thoroughly more biochemical and social bent. Heck, I should dig out my disk, and reinstall Creatures 3. It'd be interesting to get a fresh perspective on it. Maybe I'll do a Let's Play or Livestream of it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:32:00 pm by Solifuge »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 12:45:30 pm »

My creatures 3 was stolen... so sad as I was still actively playing it at the time.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 12:19:02 pm »

There is a free version of creatures, called "Docking Station"

http://www.gamewaredevelopment.com/ds/ds_index.php

It also runs with creatures. You can't have Ettins and Grendels without the base sprite files though (which are found in creatures 3), so you will be SOL for the "original" content unless you can get your hands on it. Once upon a time they used to sell these little .exe files that added it for you. I think they shut down that store though.
There is a lot of free content out there that you can use though. There is also some open source projects for it in progress. Have fun! ;)

Some helpful links:
Creatures Wikia
The Creatures Open Source Project
Docking Station
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 12:39:00 pm »

Yeah but Docking station is hardly a replacement for Creatures 3
Pages: [1] 2