Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help? Reaction that produces seeds?  (Read 1145 times)

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help? Reaction that produces seeds?
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:49:33 pm »

I pulled down the sawmill mod in attempts to make my life easier with regards to wood.  This mod adds a new plant type and a building.  The building has a reaction with the plant that changes several of them into a piece of wood.  Unfortunately the reaction that is given with that mod does not produce any seeds.  I've tried a few pocket worlds in an attempt to get this to generate seeds but been met with limited success.  The best attempt that I have had so far is it generates the seeds with the proper names, but then they aren't plantable by the farmers.  Any and all help is appreciated.  The raws for that plant and the reaction are below:

Plant Raws
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reaction Raws

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: Help? Reaction that produces seeds?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 04:19:04 pm »

I pulled down the sawmill mod in attempts to make my life easier with regards to wood.  This mod adds a new plant type and a building.  The building has a reaction with the plant that changes several of them into a piece of wood.  Unfortunately the reaction that is given with that mod does not produce any seeds.  I've tried a few pocket worlds in an attempt to get this to generate seeds but been met with limited success.  The best attempt that I have had so far is it generates the seeds with the proper names, but then they aren't plantable by the farmers.  Any and all help is appreciated.  The raws for that plant and the reaction are below:

Plant Raws

Reaction Raws

Try changing...

[PRODUCT:100:2:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:SEEDS]

to...

[PRODUCT:100:2:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:SEED_MAT]

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:35:08 pm »

That also generates a separate seed entry in my stocks screen that cannot be planted.  But thank you for the input.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:47:46 pm »

Since your plant uses "[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]", you need to use "[PRODUCT:100:2:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:SEED]".

Also:
   [PICKED_TILE:3][PICKED_COLOR:115:74:18]
      [DISPLAY_COLOR:115:74:18]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:124:34:11]

What the hell are those supposed to look like?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:49:48 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:51:16 pm »

Since your plant uses "[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]", you need to use "[PRODUCT:100:2:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:SEED]".

Also:
   [PICKED_TILE:3][PICKED_COLOR:115:74:18]
      [DISPLAY_COLOR:115:74:18]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:124:34:11]

What the hell are those supposed to look like?

Yes, but according to his first post, this didn't work either.  It's generating seeds with the right names, but they're being ignored by planters.

EDIT: Apologies, didn't catch the plural in the OP.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:58:11 pm by narhiril »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 04:53:56 pm »

Yes, but according to his first post, this didn't work either.  It's generating seeds with the right names, but they're being ignored by planters.

Are you sure? His reaction was using a material named "SEEDS" when it was supposed to be "SEED", which means it was actually making them out of STRUCTURAL (since invalid creature/plant material references end up using the 1st defined material instead).

Read the top of this wiki article to understand how material tokens work in reactions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:32:09 pm »

Thank you the change to singular SEED from SEEDS worked.  I'll ramp up the grow time on these and add them in on my next regen.  I'll also post the change out to that sawmill thread I had pulled this from in case any one else was interested in it. 

Now how did you know to use the SEED tag?  I didn't see anything in the wiki when I was making the reaction tag that hinted that there was one other than as a sub tag of the plant.  Sorry to ask, I am a mod-noob and it feels like the modding section on the wiki is a bit haphazard and hard to follow.  Frankly I am surprised that I managed to get it as far as I did.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:37:03 pm by Sangi »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 05:59:23 pm »

The colors don't use RGB values, take a look at the Colour page on the wiki to see what numbers you need.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE] is what leads to [PRODUCT:100:2:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:SEED]. When you bring a material into being within a plant or creature, you give it a handle that is then used by anything that calls upon that material, be it another part of the plant / creature raw or a reaction. In this case, the handle is SEED, because that's what it was called upon its creation. It is completely up to the player what that handle is, and it can be something nonsensical or even contradictory. But don't do that. :)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 06:20:35 pm »

Ahh ok that makes sense. 

As for the colors this isn't my creation.  The creation of it is linked in my original post.  I just wanted to get the seed production working on the reaction.