Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A happy ending for a fort?  (Read 1769 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A happy ending for a fort?
« on: April 27, 2011, 11:56:34 am »

Is it possible for a fort to have a happy ending? If you do, post some ideas please... :)
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A happy ending for a fort?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 11:58:19 am »

Is it possible for a fort to have a happy ending? If you do, post some ideas please... :)
yeah, it's when everyone dies happy

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:00:43 pm »

"And they lived happily ever after ...", followed by Save, Exit, and Create New World (or Start Playing, if you have a world already available that you want to use).
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:14:38 pm »

Use DFusion+DfHack and this method (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69682.msg2103316#msg2103316) to "retire" your fort without having to abandon. This turns it into a Mountain Hall that you can visit later in Adventure Mode.

Not really a happy ending, more like "dwarves stand around doing nothing but at least we're not dying horribly".

Not until later, anyway.

Tanase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 12:18:25 pm »

I don't know what game you're playing, but MY Dwarf Fortress never has happy endings.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:22:31 pm »

A happy ending is when you send in the clowns, and then shoo them out again. After that, you build a monument in the circus, and that's your happy ending.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 12:37:13 pm »

Use DFusion+DfHack and this method (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69682.msg2103316#msg2103316) to "retire" your fort without having to abandon. This turns it into a Mountain Hall that you can visit later in Adventure Mode.

Not really a happy ending, more like "dwarves stand around doing nothing but at least we're not dying horribly".

Not until later, anyway.
So they'll just slowly starve/dehydrate to death due to the fact they never tend the farms/stills?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 01:54:25 pm »

Holy crap I didn't know that could work. Do you get your dwarves back if you use Just Embark to "reclaim" the site (Or a regular reclaim)?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 02:01:08 pm »

For some reason, a Dwarven Happy Ending sounds less like a good thing and more like the name of some obscure style of execution.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 02:05:32 pm »

For some reason, a Dwarven Happy Ending sounds less like a good thing and more like the name of some obscure style of execution.
I think it means getting everyone to ecstatic and then making the entire fortress cave in into the SMR

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 02:19:23 pm »

The only sort of dwarven happy ending I can conceive is the one where I abandon the fort before anything especially horrific starts happening.
Yes, forceful exile is the "best" solution. This is the dwarven way. That, or you could play long enough to have everyone die of old age, but I think it's seriously more depressing for all parties involved. And boring. Infinitely more boring.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 02:20:32 pm »

I think it means getting everyone to ecstatic and then making the entire fortress cave in into the SMR

Maybe if they were all so drunk that their breath ignited the entire fortress as it fell into the magma sea, causing a massive explosion and subsequent earthquake.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 02:28:09 pm »

A dwarven happy ending is when you make the place self sufficient, wall it off from the world, and run it in the background for 100 in game years, checking up only to reassign children to jobs of the dwarves dying from old age.

But where's the fun in that?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 02:38:32 pm »

Not until later, anyway.
So they'll just slowly starve/dehydrate to death due to the fact they never tend the farms/stills?

They behave like towns/hamlets. Remember worldgen stops running when you start playing so they never starve even if they don't have food available.

By "later" I mean having your adventurer drag a bunch of bandits over to slaughter everyone.

Holy crap I didn't know that could work. Do you get your dwarves back if you use Just Embark to "reclaim" the site (Or a regular reclaim)?

They become "friendly" units when you reclaim the site, who also never eat or drink unless you use Runesmith to make them fortress citizens once again. One nice side-effect is that you can bring adventurers and retire them on the site, so when you reclaim later you can potentially have your old adventurers as members of the new fort.

If you read the thread Rumrusher also has a method for switching from adventurer mode to fortress mode afterwards (you just need to do it on a previously existing fort, and make sure your adventurer has the same civ number as the fort owner).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:43:06 pm by Langdon »

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 02:50:03 pm »

A dwarven happy ending is a dwarf returning to the roots of his origins. They must become one with the blood of the mauntains. All must be thrown in semi molten rock.
Pages: [1] 2