Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What Dwarves do in DF. I'd be pissed too. :P  (Read 6191 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Dwarves do in DF. I'd be pissed too. :P
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 06:30:38 pm »

I try to protect each and every dwarf, and keep them happy.

I get upset when one of them dies, though if it is in a glorious, heroic manner it does lessen the blow. :(

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 06:51:44 pm »

Bear in mind, dwarf time is somewhat compressed and abstracted as far as we're concerned. We don't watch dwarves cut logs apart into pieces and then assemble them, or grab individual tools off a shelf, or dump the sawdust out of the shop; we just see them grab a log, claim a workshop, and a few seconds later there's a +chair+. It's not that unreasonable to assume they're socializing or taking breaks beyond what we actually see. I mean, if nothing else, how would nobles know when to be jealous about a lesser's pretentious sleeping arrangements if they've never taken the time to go look?

That aside, I do imagine them taking pleasure in good honest toil, so "long hard hours" becomes more of a privilege than a mandate.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 07:02:31 pm »

I don't intentionally kill usually, but if I deem a possible death heroic/fortress saving I will sacrifice some to meet that goal, for example, if I know the siege outside is going to roll through and curb stomp the entire fortress then I'm willing to sacrifice half our military to stop them.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 07:04:25 pm »

...and the life of a dwarf: solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 07:06:30 pm »

...and the life of a dwarf: solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

These adjectives seem to cover a lot of dwarf stuff. Like the dwarfs themselves.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 07:27:27 pm »

Bear in mind, dwarf time is somewhat compressed and abstracted as far as we're concerned. We don't watch dwarves cut logs apart into pieces and then assemble them, or grab individual tools off a shelf, or dump the sawdust out of the shop; we just see them grab a log, claim a workshop, and a few seconds later there's a +chair+.

Personally I just assumed they punch away the parts of the log that aren't part of the chair. Maybe with stones they whang them on the physical surface of the workshop. Engraving? That's what teeth are for, silly.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 07:33:50 pm »

This is not the case, everyone knows dwarves are born with a full tool belt. This is also why dwarven mothers hate their genders.
Hello Hunam

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 07:44:12 pm »

If you don't know what he's talking about, he's talking about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can mod them back in for women with the addition of a couple brackets, though. Just go to the dwarf creature file entry thing and find the female caste, then there should be a comment from Toady with instructions.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 07:45:47 pm »

The beards are used for smoothing stone and polishing stone crafts.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 09:16:36 pm »

I alway thought dwarven social life is embodied by the Hammerer.

Anyway, when I compare it to my life ... I either work (= sitting at my computer at work), take beatings from my 3 years old daughter, chat people in forums(= sitting at my computer at home), play games (=guess what), or eat or sleep. When I am in a bad mood, I have my anti-depressant pills.

Seriously, the dwarves don't have it all that bad...
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 09:52:36 pm »

A dwarfs goal in life is to die a horribly painful death from one of the many forms of such a fate that the gods have though of.

Anything in between is merely a placeholder.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

fijkus

• Bay Watcher
  • "Reapers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 09:58:26 pm »

I alway thought dwarven social life is embodied by the Hammerer.

Anyway, when I compare it to my life ... I either work (= sitting at my computer at work), take beatings from my 3 years old daughter, chat people in forums(= sitting at my computer at home), play games (=guess what), or eat or sleep. When I am in a bad mood, I have my anti-depressant pills.

Seriously, the dwarves don't have it all that bad...

Also keep in mind that they are basically colonists from a medieval society.

A medieval society that can be attacked by megabeasts, titans and hidden fun stuff at the drop of a hat.

Starting fresh, from a place that is at least trying to provide some security, may be their best option.

Maxrmk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 03:16:36 am »

A dwarfs goal in life is to die a horribly painful death from one of the many forms of such a fate that the gods have though of.

Sig'd

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 06:25:09 am »

I imagine the same is true of dwarven society, as strange as it may seem to us, it's not dysfunctional if dwarves like it that way and it works for them.

The funny thing is, if boatmurdered is anything to judge by, It doesnt work for them (not to mention the whole idea is losing is fun!). Speaking of that, i can see why there aren't dwarves today, they clearly all died having fun with all the goblins and HFS and megabeasts.

At which point, the few remaining fortresses started killing elves, quite well, but ended badly, (Once again, See: Boatmurdered)

the humans then came in and cleaned up the rest, Elves, dwarves, megabeasts, all gone.

And now we are where we are today.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 07:17:47 pm »

Sig'd

That makes me fell all warm and fuzzy inside.  :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 [2] 3