Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My little gold mace artifact  (Read 4152 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: My little gold mace artifact
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 01:03:29 am »

may i take this time to ask how "worthadamn" my lead battle axe might be in a fight?
so far, it seems useless.

against an un-armed goblin, the combat log was 6 pages long.
goblin misses, dwarf hits with lead axe, but it was deflected by the troll fur glove for all of it until the last one; Dwarf hits goblin in head, shattering the skull and tearing the brain.

havent tried it out again yet.

also, is there any combat advantage to studding steel battle axes and silver hammers with lead?
I've been doing it just cause its fun.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 02:02:23 am »

may i take this time to ask how "worthadamn" my lead battle axe might be in a fight?

goblin misses, dwarf hits with lead axe, but it was deflected by the troll fur glove for all of it until the last one; Dwarf hits goblin in head, shattering the skull and tearing the brain.

also, is there any combat advantage to studding steel battle axes and silver hammers with lead?
lead is
   [SHEAR_YIELD:10000]
   [SHEAR_FRACTURE:12000]
   [SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:179] 5.6
and silk is
   [SHEAR_YIELD:1150000] used spider silk from wikipedia
   [SHEAR_FRACTURE:1200000]
   [SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100000]
plant fiber
   [SHEAR_YIELD:600000] used cotton
   [SHEAR_FRACTURE:600000] used cotton
EDIT: found hair, it is
   [SHEAR_YIELD:60000] from net someplace
   [SHEAR_FRACTURE:120000]
Although it seems horribly wrong when applied to the real world, in df lead blades just cannot cut through silk or cloth or wool
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:04:18 am by nanomage »

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 02:34:06 am »

Gold artifact mace is awesome, there is no reason you shouldn't put that into service right away.  It would be a waste not to.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 02:34:38 am »

A lead axe should be in principal doing blunt damage id think.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 06:32:15 am »

How is a Goblin bone battle axe (Made from the bones of my enemies!, and it menaces with spikes of goblin bone :3)??
im curious if i should give it to one of my troops

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 07:07:30 am »

Mace seems good.

Number7, bone kinda sucks, a masterwork steel could wipe the floor with that.
Put it in anyway for lulz.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 07:39:54 am »

Artifact gold maces are perfectly fine weapons. For what's worth, the first soldiers to get titles in my forts (and therefore the deadlier ones) tend to be macedorfs for some reason, way before hammerdorfs.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 07:54:33 am »

How is a Goblin bone battle axe (Made from the bones of my enemies!, and it menaces with spikes of goblin bone :3)??
im curious if i should give it to one of my troops
Goblin bone axe is pure awesomeness as a symbol but it's bad as a weapon. Bone is not so bad in terms of elasticity:
[SHEAR_YIELD:115000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:130000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
 but is is light [SOLID_DENSITY:500] and blunt [MAX_EDGE:1000]
For comparison, copper is
[SHEAR_YIELD:70000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:220000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:145]
[SOLID_DENSITY:8930]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
So, no luck here.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 05:05:14 am »

Put it in anyway for lulz.

As a symbol, agreed it is awesome, so i did put it in for lulz.

Wheres the fun in a masterwork steel axe when my (basically untrained) Captain of the Guard could be wielding a battleaxe made from the bones of my enemies!

nice gold mace though. :D

Shame it wasnt a warhammer, could have given it to the hammerer, to keep everyone in line. (Wont make slade earrings for my nobles eh? DIE!)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 05:48:37 am »

I've recently had a gold battleaxe made.  At that time I had one gold and one copper bar, available, from which he took the former, added some dolomite and leather and cloth, IIRC, for the decorations.  Worth quite a lot, despite being very simple.

It was a Novice Milker who mooded, who just happened to also be a Novice Weaponsmith upon immigration, mooding within a few steps of arriving and after the job was complete appeared to have gone straight to Legendary+5 skill, so that's something, at least, in a fort where no weapons had so far been produced.

But I don't think it'll be worth wielding in combat, for the same reason as the lead one.  (I could check out the raws for gold.)  Still, we should be getting some nice other weaponry, assuming I can actually find some useful materials before I reach the magma sea.  (Which is taking most of the first year due to primary digging on this fort has been digging external ditches and the like, in preparation for Megaproject Time!)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 06:07:42 am »

I've recently had a gold battleaxe made.  At that time I had one gold and one copper bar, available, from which he took the former, added some dolomite and leather and cloth, IIRC, for the decorations.  Worth quite a lot, despite being very simple.

It was a Novice Milker who mooded, who just happened to also be a Novice Weaponsmith upon immigration, mooding within a few steps of arriving and after the job was complete appeared to have gone straight to Legendary+5 skill, so that's something, at least, in a fort where no weapons had so far been produced.

But I don't think it'll be worth wielding in combat, for the same reason as the lead one.  (I could check out the raws for gold.)  Still, we should be getting some nice other weaponry, assuming I can actually find some useful materials before I reach the magma sea.  (Which is taking most of the first year due to primary digging on this fort has been digging external ditches and the like, in preparation for Megaproject Time!)
Well golden one will at least cut through flesh and cloth, and it's two times heavier. and it's gold, ye know!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 06:40:05 am »

Still, can anyone tell me what we'd actually need blunt weapons for?
Try piercing through a rock wall(or any hard material) with a steel knife.
Now try the same thing again except with a steel hammer.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 11:06:24 am »

Only in DF, the only tool to pierce a rock wall (mining pick) also happens to be the most awesomest weapon available given typical dwarven needs (dispatch humanoids with weak partial armour or nothing, large animals, and the odd tough random beastie/pervert/clown). Blunt weapons are no good at any of those. Can you give me any realistic situation in which they would be more useful than something else? Undead? Common titan types?

At the moment, there is very little overlap between useful weapons (reasonably-sized blades) and notorious dwarf killers. (blunt or very pointy, either can defeat our finest armour).

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 01:20:03 pm »

Edged weapons are superior to blunt weapons in that edged weapons can kill very quickly through bloodloss and lucky hits on vital organs, as well as outright lopping off limbs.

Blunt weapons can only kill if you crush their skull, meaning sometimes it takes a while to get in a kill. A very strong, very agile, and highly skilled dwarf with a blunt weapon can inflict a lot of carnage but only to smaller opponents. Against a very large creature blunt weapons are almost entirely useless due to having very large bodies, whereas swords or axes are just as effective even if they cannot remove any limbs. Death by a thousand papercuts.

The upside to blunt weapons is that its easier to clean up after a siege. Blunt weapons may occasionally knock teeth out but 1 goblin is 1 hauling job. With swords 1 goblin is 4-5 hauling jobs, so it takes 4-5 times as long to clean up after a siege.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 02:42:51 pm »

With a little bit of arena testing with adamantine weapons unarmored maces won with armor ( steel) maces seem to do alot more damage (none lethal). So I'm guessing a light(not adamantine light) and strong metal would have maces be better then hammers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3