Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Because tower defense games can be cool too: Let's Play Protector IV.V!  (Read 3709 times)

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah. I've always liked tower defense games in general and there are two series that stand out for me with innovative ideas and non-standard gameplay: the GemCraft and Protector games. Now I'd like to invite you all to play along with me on the latest installment of the latter.

Here's how this will go down: I won't post here for every single choice I have to make or we won't get beyond the first level before the thread goes up in flames. You will have the ability to decide what route we'll follow and who we'll hire (more on that later). From time to time, I will post our progress, illustrated with pictures and accompanied by relevant infodumps if needed and at the end, you can decide what to do, whether to do plot-important missions or waste time (not that time is tracked in any way) on side quests. Then I'll do that and post the results, rinse and repeat as needed. There is a sort of plot and even an ending if we can get there, but the game is about as non-linear as possible in Flash, so don't expect to see it any time soon.

I won't promise to always make the choice that gets the most votes, but my choice will always be one present in the thread. If you want your suggestion to be the one taken, make it as interesting as you can. Now for the first post, I'll introduce you to the world of Protector and you can make your first choices.

---

The Protector series takes place in the world of Amaria, which is ruled by several factions and periodically plagued by outbreaks of mystical corruption. Protector IV.V starts in the middle of one such outbreak and places you in the role of a mercenary commander hired to deal with local problems in the Kingdom of Arkandia.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Relevant information will be presented in the form of such Protectopedia pages from within the game. The first few quests are linear and will be undertaken for the Arkandians. When another faction shows up, I'll post its page the same way. As you can see, I will be playing the game on Armor Games, which has the advantage of providing me with an instant trait as soon as I start the game. But more on that later.

First up, character generation! It consists of five screens that will affect our starting skills.
I'm not quite sure how this works. It decides what our starting skill is, but I'm not sure which skill corresponds to which background, so I won't even pretend to know. All I know is, depending on the choice, we might be able to hire more heroes, get more money out of missions, improve faction relations faster or do something else.
Same here.
This one decides our starting weapon proficiency. It gives units using that weapon a damage bonus.
This is another one of those screens that influence our starting skills. The choices here basically correspond to the choices on Screen 2.
And finally, this decides our starting elemental proficiency. Every units has an elemental affinity and an elemental proficiency helps units with the same affinity deal more damage.

Post your choices here and when I feel like a good number has been posted, I'll pick the most popular choices and start our first quests.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:55:34 pm by Solarn »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

Kongregate does two starting acheivements. Do it there, if you can stand the lag from useless chat.

Go Student, first one, middle, last one, and energy. meelee is useless.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But I'm a loyal Armor Games fan!

Also, melee can be good. Scavengers are melee, and they're quite possibly the fastest units in the game, AND they can poison.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

Ever heard the phrase "Linear warriors; Quadratic mages"? Yeah. They quickly get out powered AND they can't hit half the units in the game.

Did y research, and Armor game's given achievement and Kongregate's achievement are the same.

Also, The second screen gives a skill, and if I understand right, are quite difficult to get otherwise.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ever heard the phrase "Linear warriors; Quadratic mages"?
Doesn't really apply here, though. Melee units have comparable damage increases to mages and ranged units. And there are quests where you'll want to have strong melee units.