Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Carved Fortifications  (Read 2894 times)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carved Fortifications
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 06:27:01 am »

Carving fortifications only works on natural stone. Constructed fortifications must be constructed. Raised drawbridges can't be destroyed, as far as I know. I'm not sure about the other problem--is there a magma moat near the bridge? I suppose that might have melted the mechanism. Otherwise I guess it's a bug or you just forgot what connects with what.

untrue, i constructed a wall and carved fortifications into it like normal.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 10:38:33 am »

Me too. I built my bridge entrance over look, and carved fortifications into it.

Thought. Constructed Fortifications have no top floor. And can be shot through at distance by sufficiently skilled marks dwarves. Can I build those out past my primary section to stop enemies coming into the minimum shooting range and then have the marks dwarves shoot through them? Probably. Delightful idea.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 01:07:55 pm »

Do people not read threads? We've moved past the evidence phase. Now I'm trying to figure out how I came by that incorrect belief.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 01:11:29 pm »

I, personally, add in-ghame Notes to my levers... as well as color-coding, and positioning them in the control room as a mini-map of what they control.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 08:14:24 pm »

I read the thread. And the Wiki is how you came by it. Next, how to use this for insane dwarf antics.

urick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 08:22:47 pm »

Re: missing mechanisms - had any tantrums?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 08:53:19 pm »

Constructed fortifications do have walking space on top. This is how my archer walkway is built. I'm still on 31.21 though

WRONG...

Go build a fortifiaction (b-C-F), then go up a Z level...  There is no floor over the constructed fortification.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 09:05:48 pm »

Ok i just realized the fortifications I had were carved from constructed walls. SORRYYY

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 12:03:39 am »

Do people not read threads? We've moved past the evidence phase. Now I'm trying to figure out how I came by that incorrect belief.
Maybe its due to the fact (that I'm no longer positive is true) that you cannot engrave a constructed smooth wall (made of blocks).  I've never attempted to carve fortifications into constructed walls because you can't engrave them ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]