Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wanted: Good ("realistic") SciFi novel  (Read 3389 times)

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Good ("realistic") SciFi novel
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 02:52:37 pm »

Alastair Reynolds is very hard SF (Hard Sf as opposed to soft SF has a focus on being within the realms of possibility and trying to explain phenomenon/tech with pseudo science or science).

Reynolds novel Pushing Ice is probably the most hard sf/realistic sci fi novel ive read, as in everything that happens in it could be possible. (with the possible exception of the prologue). His Revelation Space, Redemption Arc, and Absolution Gap Trilogy are probably better tho. He also authored Chasm City which is in competition with Metro 2033 for my favourite novel. Reynolds his hard sf down to the level of no faster than light travel, and (being an astronomer / lecturer for his day job) having space ships take a realistic amount of time to travel between the stars (he uses real stars and estimated the distance in  light years).

Reynolds is great, though House of Suns would be my favourite of his full length novels. Again, it's pretty hard SF, no FTL. Very long lived characters, but that's plausible if not actually possible with our current state of technology. His short stories are well worth reading as well.

I'd also mention the Forever War if it hadn't been already - Forever Free is also pretty decent, though I didn't like Forever Peace (which moves away from hard SF somewhat, and imo doesn't handle the transition too well.

Some of Ursula le Guin's SF work is fairly plausible - the earlier Hainish stories don't have FTL travel, though they do have FTL comms. The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness I enjoyed thoroughly.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 10:14:47 am »

Maybe the Honorverse series by David Weber? I've only read two or so, but they seem to be mostly realistic.
DITTO, read them all, fan-freakin-tastic.  Detailed scientific reasons for how space and travel and combat is.  Also, very heavily a military space opera.  Not for everyone.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 11:18:21 am »

Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers is a classic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic

Hard to tell if it is what you want or not. It is bound o be different that what you read so far as it was written by Soviet authors in the 70's. Their mindset was different than that of western scifi writers and the books is more philosophical that what you would expect from the genre. The characters are pretty well thought-out and believable. Can't tell whether it's "realistic" though as the whole point of the book is that advanced alien technology is completely incomprehensible to us in the same way as our trash after a picnic is to animals. No technobabble or explanations are given to the SciFi stuff that happens. It's pretty short and reads easily.

The novel was an inspiration for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of video games.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 11:32:21 am »

+1 for Iain M Banks.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 11:33:40 am »

I really enjoyed Tad Williams Otherland series.  Its a near-future sci-fi.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:24 am »

Heh. I'm currently enjoying reading that and thought about suggesting it, but as I'm only halfway through the first book I'm not sure how 'realistic' the whole series is yet.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 11:45:46 am »

Heh. I'm currently enjoying reading that and thought about suggesting it, but as I'm only halfway through the first book I'm not sure how 'realistic' the whole series is yet.

Yeah maybe a bit of the realism dies off a bit towards the end.  At least most of it seems feasible though, unlike warp drives and aliens.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 01:34:31 pm »

Maybe the Honorverse series by David Weber? I've only read two or so, but they seem to be mostly realistic.
DITTO, read them all, fan-freakin-tastic.  Detailed scientific reasons for how space and travel and combat is.  Also, very heavily a military space opera.  Not for everyone.

I've read through the ones in the link I'll supply later 3 times so far, love these books. Definitely space opera, but hey, space opera's awesome. A lot of them are on the web for free here, with the last 2 or 3 being short story collections.

Having looked at Baen's site, that's definitely not all of them; gonna have to look at getting the last couple in paper.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 01:59:42 pm »

It would help, I suppose, if the OP specified what is his understanding of 'realistic' SF.

Yeah, I've expected this question :D...hm in general stuff which is not too far away from science, so no Star Wars/Star Trek and this stuff ;).

And Starship Troopers - yeah, nice book indeed^^ have read it last year.

Thx to all for your proposals...
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 04:26:22 pm »

Jules Verne wrote science fiction. Actual science drove past his imagination afterwards, turning all his novels into steampunk, but they're still pretty good.

Also, look at this beard. LOOK AT IT AND DESPAIR.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:33:48 pm by Soadreqm »

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 05:49:27 pm »

Oh, and its worth reading Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. The films bear little or no resemblance to the tech, setting, events and species described within them. Notable as AFAIK it contains the first conceptualization of powered armour, which is now so overdone by pretty much any scifi flim, book and game.

I hear the Lensman series beat him to it by a few decades. Currently trying to get ahold of some of the volumes.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »

Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game".  Humankind needs a brilliant genius to command its next war against the aliens, because they expect to get screwed otherwise.  So they start nabbing kids with extremely high potential from the equivalent of, like, second grade or something.  See what military training looks like, if it was run for utterly brilliant and (at first) very young children.  Throw in a small amount of Lord of the Flies.  Watch Ender somehow be utterly brilliant and capable without becoming a Mary Sue.

Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".  We ran out of Australia so we started sending convicts to the moon.  They learned how to be polite very quickly, because the moon is a difficult place and it's also full of airlocks.  Culture also evolved a little different.  Then, they decided to declare independence.  Features a believable and likeable AI, for the future.  Plus, every Heinlein book is good because it's Heinlein.  If you like omnipresent politics that's fun instead of dry, and elaborate worldbuilding, Heinlein is your man.  This is also one of the least "dirty old man" books he's written, because wow he can be a lech (in a good way).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 07:10:29 pm »

This is also one of the least "dirty old man" books he's written, because wow he can be a lech (in a good way).

And a not good way.  Christ.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 10:14:23 pm »

Charles Stross has a couple. Glasshouse is easily the best. Hard to describe much without giving a lot away, but he builds a universe almost matching Bank's Culture and uses it to run a pocket experiment looking at our own. He also has the near future Halting State, with a sequel Rule 34 due out relatively soon. He has some free samplers here, including a short story collection and a complete (looooong) novel called Accelerando.

Richard Morgan is utterly brutal, but writes a fantastic noir style high concept future. The Kovacs novels (starting with Altered Carbon) are a great trilogy. The central technology is the cortical stack; a hardened implant that effectively stores your memories and self digitally, to be transferred between bodies, transmitted between stars, backed up and even cloned to a new stack. This puts a relatively low value on human flesh, resulting in some really nasty sex and violence, although the cost of a new body is still out of reach for the majority of people. He gets to play a lot with race, sex and social factors.

Doctorow does some really nice stories, especially his near future and social commentary. All of his are free online so definitely worth a peak. His two young adult books, Little Brother and For The Win are music to the ears of anyone who agrees with him socially (and technologically) while his first two full length novels, Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom and Standard Eastern Tribe cover a lot of concepts that are becoming more and more common today. I would strongly recommend downloading the audio version of With a Little Help; a short story collection read by various geeks. The Spider Robinson reading in particular is fantastic. It also has a reading by Mary Robinette Kowal who also read his After the Siege, a pretty worthwhile listen in itself.

And unrelated to the topic other than through Kowal, she also read Rude Mechanicals by Kage Baker, pretty far from realistic but a lot of fun. A semi-time-travel romp about two cyborgs in 1930's Hollywood, mostly based around the set of Max Reinhardt stunning production of A Midsummers Night's Dream. Damned good fun.

Scalzi's Old Man's War series (a trilogy plus one effectively) is good, in the same military-plus-social commentary way as The Forever War. The fourth books is pretty damned good considering it's Scalzi writing from the POV of a teenage girl. He also headed the Metatropolis project, originally an audiobook (mostly read by
BSG alumni
; the first story is a good two hours of Tigh reading to you) and now also published as as short story collection.

I have to repeat Reynolds (definitely Chasm City and Pushing Ice, although the new Terminal World is a nice take on Steampunk) and Banks, definitely. And for Banks, even if you skip his non-SF fiction you might want to look up Raw Spirit. It's him cruising around Scotland in a variety of cool vehicles sampling every Scotch he can get his hands on and getting paid for it. With occasional digressions about the war (it was written in 2003) and Drunken Urban Climbing.

If you need something more intellectually challenging then try Schild's Ladder by Greg Egan. Wiki describes it as involving 'non-trivial' mathematics and theoretical physics. I read it while taking graduate level quantum mechanics courses and didn't feel it was talking down or over-simplifying things. And the story remains engaging.

Neal Stevenson's Anathem tries to do something similar but (IMO) doesn't pull the science off quite right. This (some spoilers) explains how I feel about it. That said, the writing and story for the majority of the book is fantastic. It just loses the plot at some point and things literally unravel. Given that this includes what should be the climax of the novel, it kinda takes the wind out of it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:56:06 am by palsch »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 04:33:53 am »

This is also one of the least "dirty old man" books he's written, because wow he can be a lech (in a good way).

And a not good way.  Christ.
Yeah, I can grok that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3