Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mech combat (Version 0.1.4) New build as of 6/5/12  (Read 3794 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Mech combat (Version 0.1.2b) New build as of 3/6/12
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 08:00:13 am »

A very stereotypical answer, but I'd say - strike a balance. Design should be important, but if the game is based wholly on design then there's not really much point putting a third person gameplay perspective in.

Looks really good so far!  :D

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 04:05:37 pm »

On the one hand I could go for mechs getting faster and more maneuverable, such as mechs in armored core.

faster and more maneuverable, such as mechs in armored core.

Fast and maneuverable mechs?  In MY Armored Core 2?

I would like to see customization though, defnitely.  Any maneuverability I needed was gained with the swivel mounts.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 04:55:11 pm »

To help fuel discussion some more I would like to ask everyone their opinion on the pace of the game.  On the one hand I could go for mechs getting faster and more maneuverable, such as mechs in armored core.  On the other hand I could go for drastically increased stability and customization and make it more like mech warrior.  One option you end up with a game that places far more emphasis on your skill at piloting, the other it places much more emphasis on construction and getting the "best" design.  The first one, however, by making movement and everything faster, your customization becomes less and less important.  With the second, your skill becomes more and more an after thought for the importance is placed on design.

What is everyone's opinion on how the game should be shaped?
Give people a lot of customization a la mechwarior, but include parts to give them more mobility I'd say. If people want a nimble dancer, let them built one. If someone wants a titanic tank, let her built it.

OddTheTall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 02:05:18 pm »

Thought that you might be interested to know that the game works under WINE.

Also, in the mech creation screen, would it be possible to add the option to directly type numbers (like hover height) in for ease of use?

C

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 07:02:08 pm »

Thought that you might be interested to know that the game works under WINE.

Also, in the mech creation screen, would it be possible to add the option to directly type numbers (like hover height) in for ease of use?

C

I am actually really happy you told me that.  Having the game be compatible for linux users just made my day!

Now about the text inputs.  I'm glad you mentioned it because it is probably one of the most commonly requested feature and it really is a glaring issue.  The only thing keeping me from adding it in a heartbeat is the fact I don't know how to convert strings values to a float.  :-\  I should probably look that up sometime soon, it is probably like 1 function I need to call and I will be done.

It is on the "list" for the next release, however.  And unless something happens I will make sure to get it in.

By the way, for all reading this, I haven't decided on the "gimmick" for the next build.  0.1.1 was saving and loading.  0.1.2 was joints.  Any ideas for 0.1.3?

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 07:40:38 pm »

There is a slight bug when you have rotation limits set to -180 or 180 because of how it inverts teh numberz, just to let you know.  And for 0.1.3, maybe we can get object damage so guns actually are useful for someting?  I would really like to see how mechs can get damaged in-game (although that might be codey-intensive).
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 08:49:55 pm »

Making guns work would be nice! As in making them destroy stuff. You could randomly drop shapes (such as cones and other solids) into the environment and make them be destroyed at a gun shot. You could also maybe implement HP and make them be destroyed after a certain number of shots.

I haven't tried due to my severe lack of gametime, but do you already have cannon trajectories in?

0,1,3 's gimmick being destroyable objects, +1 by me.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 12:43:39 am »

Making guns work would be nice! As in making them destroy stuff. You could randomly drop shapes (such as cones and other solids) into the environment and make them be destroyed at a gun shot. You could also maybe implement HP and make them be destroyed after a certain number of shots.

I haven't tried due to my severe lack of gametime, but do you already have cannon trajectories in?

0,1,3 's gimmick being destroyable objects, +1 by me.

Yes I have cannon trajectories.  They have are not hitscan and instead travel in real time to their targets.  They fall with gravity, and they are influenced by the velocity of the object that fired them.

As for gameplay, my initial idea was for me to make some basic turret mechs and drop them on the field to give something to shoot, and dodge.  If you guys want gameplay than I can do that.  I'm thinking damage for this build will be pretty basic, only type will just be damage from bullets and no impact damage.  That way I can get that out and worry about collisions later.

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mech combat (Version 0.1.3) New build as of 4/2/12
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 11:48:19 pm »

Just updated with a new build.  This one is mostly user suggestions and doesn't really have much of a "gimmick" unfortunately.  I've been kinda boggled down with school and I figured I should just release a small build to let you all know I am still regularly working on this project.

Comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mech combat (Version 0.1.4) New build as of 6/5/12
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 12:52:32 am »

Just released a new build! This one features destroyable blocks, a massive improvement in the builder engine (not really easy to see in this version, but I did add a barrel object which was before impossible!), ricocheting bullets, and a few other more minor things. Since I still don't have AI yet (I know I know) You will have to build a chunk of blocks in front of your machine to test it. Currently how damage works is each block contributes a certain amount of health to the section it is attached to. So if you had ten blocks with 1 hp each, the entire thing would take 10 damage to destroy. If you shot a big cannon at it that did 25 damage, the entire section would be destroyed instantly. Each individual block, however, has its own hp. That way you cant just shoot one block and make the entire mech explode, you have to spread your fire! In the future when I add engines and other critical components this will become far more important.

So far only bullets cause damage to blocks, impacts and explosions do nothing to harm them. When I decide how I want explosions to damage blocks, I'll add it in. In the meantime suggestions are, as always, welcome.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 09:26:44 am »

Been trying to make a mech that uses only thrusters
And boy, is it difficult

Every time, i check every single part, make sure all the bits are right
But still, it just goes slightly off balance and I can't fly it anymore.

Are the hovercraft parts any better?
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 03:47:11 pm »

Hovercraft parts are made so that the vehicle can float a few feet off the ground.  You need to combine thrusters and hoverdrives to make a hovercraft.  Think of a real hovercraft, you have the actual hover system (the hover drives), but then you have a fan on the back to get it going (the thrusters). 

I have attached a sample design, this is a hover mech which uses a combination of thrusters and hover systems to move.  You can right click a particular part to see the settings applied to it.  All the hover systems are at default settings, however.  To control is, press WASD to move, space to shoot, and use your mouse to rotate the turret.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21826865/HoverSpider_xml

To use it, put it in MechCombat Build 0.1.4/SavedMechs and load it into the game by pressing the folder icon on the top of your screen and typing "HoverSpider".

Solarspot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 10:48:47 pm »

--Feels weird to make my first post on the forums about this, after lurking around for a year and a half...  But oh well  :P

It's a pretty fun game already!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tried making a walking mech, with mixed results:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The joints seem strong enough to walk it...  Slowly.  I have the four legs on eight joints, controlled by sixteen keys  :o
...I'm not sure if it's my keyboard, or the game that really just doesn't want me pressing 8 keys at the same time.  But otherwise, I can't walk it.

One actual (probably easy to do) suggestion for the game tho:  While selecting a key to control a part, could you disable the normal effects of those keys?  It was really annoying trying to assign controls for that walker...  Deleted a few of my parts while trying to configure them  ???

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 11:27:47 pm »

One actual (probably easy to do) suggestion for the game tho:  While selecting a key to control a part, could you disable the normal effects of those keys?  It was really annoying trying to assign controls for that walker...  Deleted a few of my parts while trying to configure them  ???
I'm very glad you brought that up!  I'll make sure to fix that before the next build.

Also welcome to the forums!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:29:38 pm by MirrorIrorriM »
Pages: 1 2 [3]