Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: OMG! It's a...  (Read 3112 times)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
OMG! It's a...
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:26:39 am »

DRAGON!!

HOLLY  ARMOK!!

I didn’t even know there were dragons in DF!!

How the hell do I fight it?! I got a fortress with almost 200 dwarves, 40 military dwarves(60 children :X). Should I shoot it with bolts? Charge it with my military?! Lock the doors and hope it will fly away? Send it some goats / cows and hope that it’s just here for a snack? Or maybe it’s a vegetarian dragon? Pacifist maybe? No?

UristMcNoble: Hello mr. Dragon! Would you like a snack? I got some delicious Forgotten Beast fat roas ...
UristMcNoble cancels conduct meeting: OMG!! I’M ON FIRE!! AAAaaAAaaA!!!

I don't want to lose my fort :( I even got attached to that good for nothing king that does nothing but talk to the children... It might be connected to the fact that he is a worshiper of the goddess of peace and children...

Halp? Any ideas?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OMG! It's a...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:29:59 am »

Cage trap is the only thing you need.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:36:25 am »

They really arent that tough. Being organic they are vulnerable to bolts and spears (pierce damage) and reasonably well trained troops could take it down with not much fuss (wouldnt reccomend using maces/hammers against one though - stick to spears, swords/axes or marksdwarves). A bigger worry than cooked soliders is dragonfire lighting the surrounding terrain on fire...
This is a blank sig.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:41:45 am »

Put cage traps out, then run inside and lock the stone/metal doors. The wildfires will kill everything but the dragon and trees, so then you can wait for your cage traps to work
 8)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:52:57 am »

Slight hijack but one thing I truly hope changes sometime soon (I recall Toady talking about it once..) is cage traps.  Its absurd that a wooden cage trap made by a person of zero skill in mechanics or woodworking can hold any creature in the game regardless.. Frankly there should be a strength rating to the material and possibly skill that goes into making the trap in terms of deciding if the creature inside is held in place, and some creatures (such as megabeasts) should be impossible (or at least nearly so) to hold in a trap.

I guess you could say 'just don't use them', and for a long time I didn't for this reason (and still don't spam them), but I do like cage traps for trapping live animals for breeding and for trapping live invaders for.. Errr.. Training.. However nothing sucks the fun and adrenalin out of a situation to see "A great and powerful monster/dragon/giant/etc has arrived!" only to have it get itself trapped in a cheap wooden trap that should have a hard time holding a deer in place moments later.

hijack over :)

In answer to the OP question, I'd go with archers if possible and dwarves with shields (that can block the fire attack), traps also do work as mentioned but if he's already here then they probably need to already be in place.  As others said, the problem with fire is that (depending on your biome) it tends to destroy huge amounts (if not all) of the life (plants, animals, trees, etc) it touches and it spreads very fast, so (again depending how your biome is layed out) don't expect to gather much wood in the near future.

-MB

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 11:01:14 am »

All it took was 3 legendary Axe dwarfs with their trusty adamantium battle axes! The dragon didn't stand a chance :D Paws and guts were flying all around!
The first guy to get there got stunned (and I think the dragon did as well), but as soon as the axes started flying... GG dragon :D
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 11:25:49 am »

All it took was 3 legendary Axe dwarfs with their trusty adamantium battle axes! The dragon didn't stand a chance :D Paws and guts were flying all around!
The first guy to get there got stunned (and I think the dragon did as well), but as soon as the axes started flying... GG dragon :D
Excellent!  Now dig into the caverns and find two flying slime Forgotten Beasts at once and see how well you do.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 11:27:09 am »

Excellent!  Now dig into the caverns and find two flying slime Forgotten Beasts at once and see how well you do.
Can't you simply punch their arms off? I thought slime was liquid  :-\

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 12:53:10 pm »

It would make sense, unless the slime is really, really sticky and/or acidic. Or bouncy. I can see it now...
"The Forgotten Beast Flubber has arrived! It is made entirely of slime."
"Oh, shouldn't be to hard to take care of. Axedwarf! Charge it!"
*The Axedwarf hacks the Flubber in the body, but the attack is deflected! The adamantium battle axe strikes the legendary axedwarf in the head, jamming the skill through the brain and tearing appart the brain!*
"Holy ****!"
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 01:03:35 pm »

Once I embarked near a cave in a terrifying biome. I had two copper-clad warriors and a couple of dogs with me. In the cave, I've found a dragon - it almost got killed by one of the dogs, and if not for the fire breath, it really would. Instead, the dog got roasted, and a swordsdwarf finished off the fainting dragon.
Empowered by this grand victory, I immediately decided to send the military to remove the skeletal horses wandering about. And then everybody died.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 01:10:01 pm »

I had a similar experience to the OP last night. Then my cage traps caught it. At first I was disappointed, but then I realized I can release the dragon on the next siege  :D.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 01:19:00 pm »

Remove the exotic tag, tame it, and THEN set it loose on your next siege.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 01:36:11 pm »

Dragons are a pushover. :(

My last dragon attack was taken care of with just a single volley of iron bolts. It didn't stand a chance.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 02:58:22 pm »

It would make sense, unless the slime is really, really sticky and/or acidic. Or bouncy. I can see it now...
"The Forgotten Beast Flubber has arrived! It is made entirely of slime."
"Oh, shouldn't be to hard to take care of. Axedwarf! Charge it!"
*The Axedwarf hacks the Flubber in the body, but the attack is deflected! The adamantium battle axe strikes the legendary axedwarf in the head, jamming the skill through the brain and tearing appart the brain!*
"Holy ****!"
So many "The Blob" scenes are popping in my head now.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 03:35:15 pm »

Dragons are a pushover. :(

My last dragon attack was taken care of with just a single volley of iron bolts. It didn't stand a chance.

Agreed; dragons are Weaky McWeaksauce.  I caught a dragon, modded the raws to let me tame and train it, then set it out on the front porch waiting for the next ambush/siege. 

A crossbow goblin killed it with a single headshot.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0
Pages: [1] 2 3