Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boot, Boots, Feet & Foot?  (Read 2454 times)

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
Boot, Boots, Feet & Foot?
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:56:21 pm »

Hello fellow dorfs!

I found the amazing feature of customizing the template equipement loadouts. Great stuff!

Only one problem. When I set "Steel Boot", it seems that my dwarfs are very satisfied with either wearing the right or left boot. I made a bunch of extra pairs, and nah. They dont' seem to care at all. :(

Should I put Steel Boot twice?

What's the trick to make this work better? lol

Thanks!
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boot, Boots, Feet & Foot?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:14:52 pm »

I thought this thread was going to be an argument in favor of using the word "Beet" in place of "Boots." We are the Proudfeet, and we wear proud beet!

Disappointyface.

Only one problem. When I set "Steel Boot", it seems that my dwarfs are very satisfied with either wearing the right or left boot. I made a bunch of extra pairs, and nah. They dont' seem to care at all. :(

Yes. Only the vaguest equipment specifications cause dwarves to pick up pairs ("metal boots"). Incidentally, specifying exactly which piece of equipment in your fort is also possible, down to the very last +copper low boot+.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:49:46 pm »

Dwarves like having equipment of the same quality- therefore, they'll ignore +steel boots+ if they are wearing *steel boots*, and since each individual boot is made with its own quality modifier, you can easily have a situation where you only have the one *boot*, which leads to a dwarf walking around with only one boot while he waits for a matched pair.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:55:43 pm »

Are you using "exact match" or "partial match"?  And did you define the uniform as "replace clothing"?

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:51:31 pm »

Are you using "exact match" or "partial match"?  And did you define the uniform as "replace clothing"?

I do have "replace Clothing" on.

And I think it's set to exact match. I wasn't sure what that meant actually, is that about pairing *,-,= items? If so, let me go change that lol.
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 11:12:16 pm »

Just to specify, I'm not selecting specific equipment individually. I just specify "Steel High Boots". So any type of Steel high Boots.

Does this still affect the exact/partial match?
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 02:47:50 am »

I use exact match, armor only (not wear over clothing), and only add boot to the entry once.

I've never noticed a dwarf running around with only a single boot, or an excess of spare boots laying around. They always seem to get the idea and grab two boots just fine.

Similarly, quality does not seem to throw them off. I just checked and there are many dwarves wearing say, a -steel boot- and a *steel boot*
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:08:08 am »

I use exact match, armor only (not wear over clothing), and only add boot to the entry once.

I've never noticed a dwarf running around with only a single boot, or an excess of spare boots laying around. They always seem to get the idea and grab two boots just fine.

Similarly, quality does not seem to throw them off. I just checked and there are many dwarves wearing say, a -steel boot- and a *steel boot*

This seems strange to me. I had the OP's problem some time ago and it appeared that I solved it by adding Steel Boot twice. I also remember reading up on this problem and finding that to be the solution, though I don't have a citation. Maybe there's another issue I'm not aware of.

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 09:19:09 am »

I'll try using boots twice, because with all the suggestions made here, it didn't work. I'll change the name of the squad to the One Booted Militia?

>.>
This seems strange to me. I had the OP's problem some time ago and it appeared that I solved it by adding Steel Boot twice. I also remember reading up on this problem and finding that to be the solution, though I don't have a citation. Maybe there's another issue I'm not aware of.
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 01:32:45 pm »

Thread title sounds like a Dr. Seuss title.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 03:38:05 pm »

I thought this thread was going to be an argument in favor of using the word "Beet" in place of "Boots." We are the Proudfeet, and we wear proud beet!

Disappointyface.

Yes. Only the vaguest equipment specifications cause dwarves to pick up pairs ("metal boots"). Incidentally, specifying exactly which piece of equipment in your fort is also possible, down to the very last +copper low boot+.
Hah! So did I...

Yeah, just list it twice.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable