Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The impertient magma has defaced [a masterwork engraving]!  (Read 2533 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The impertient magma has defaced [a masterwork engraving]!
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:42:36 pm »

Well there's something I didn't know - magma erases engravings on the floor but possibly doesn't touch ones on walls. I didn't submerge my wall tiles so this isn't a thorough check. So yeah, I guess I shouldn't engrave the floor in my "spike filled death pit with magma cleaning!" project. This does make it a very useful eraser for when newbie engravers are being trained up - much faster than trying to place floor tiles everywhere. Oh don't worry about Urist McEngraver - he's made probably a thousand masterworks in his life through his masonry work so he's still ecstatic despite 10 masterpieces being ruined. I'm more curious about the Troll guts that I burnt along with the rest of the trash. I wonder what would have happened if I kept it - probably treated the same as other body parts of sentient creatures (i.e. useless).

Oh the title is the actual in-game text when this happens.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:47:00 pm by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The impertient magma has defaced [a masterwork engraving]!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 06:28:00 pm »

GhostDwemer likes magma for its impertinence. 

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 06:30:36 pm »

Walls are safe. Magma can only damage things that are in the same tile as magma. As magma cannot go onto a wall, tree, or closed wooden door they are all safe.

They will wipe out engravings on the floor, however, so you can indeed use magma to train up stone detailers.

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:46:16 pm »

Walls are safe. Magma can only damage things that are in the same tile as magma. As magma cannot go onto a wall, tree, or closed wooden door they are all safe.

They will wipe out engravings on the floor, however, so you can indeed use magma to train up stone detailers.

Wouldn't that make some dwarves unhappy, because when their engravings are destroyed, they get upset.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:01:59 pm »

Wouldn't that make some dwarves unhappy, because when their engravings are destroyed, they get upset.
Only masterpieces; +Engravings+ and *Engravings* and such have no impact, AFAIK.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
Re: The impertinent magma has defaced [a masterwork engraving]!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:15:30 pm »

1. "impertient" is bugging the hell out of me.

2. Smoothing stone also trains engravers, so using magma doesn't really save you anything.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:47:02 pm »

2. Smoothing stone also trains engravers, so using magma doesn't really save you anything.
Sometimes it helps. And, of course, it is dangerous and requires magma.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:38:39 pm »

So really, no downside.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:44:43 pm »

So really, no downside.
But it takes precious, precious magma away from ridiculously complicated megaprojects, noble rooms, and obsidian mines!
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 09:51:36 pm »

So really, no downside.
But it takes precious, precious magma away from ridiculously complicated megaprojects, noble rooms, and obsidian mines!

Not with proper preparation and magma recycling- although in my experience my magma projects do just fine until those recycling systems kick in, at which point FUN ensues.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:57:30 pm »

Doesn't the amount of negative thought get based off of how many masterworks the engraver has already done?  If you've been doing a lot of engraving, is the impact really that huge?

(I destroyed a masterwork engraving through mining last night, the engraver only went down to "content" from what was probably "ecstatic".)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 11:36:03 pm »

So really, no downside.
But it takes precious, precious magma away from megaproject rooms, complicated nobles, and obsidian nobles!
Fixed.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:01:32 am »

I wasn't aware that engravers needed training. Isn't smoothing out a few hundred rooms and hallways practice enough?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 12:06:45 am »

So really, no downside.
That can be fixed easily. Engrave the floor of the nobles room.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 12:41:44 am »

I wasn't aware that engravers needed training. Isn't smoothing out a few hundred rooms and hallways practice enough?
Oh you know, got to think ahead to when those engravers all die horribly and you need to train up new engravers. Unless you're willing to go out and have them smooth an entire mountain becuase your fort is already smooth, you can't train them without the magma eraser.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2