Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's your favorite industry?  (Read 1366 times)

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's your favorite industry?
« on: April 25, 2011, 03:10:38 pm »

I am makin' a mod that expands the industries a bit. I'm in the concept stage. Wood and Fuel concepts so far are looking to be much more interesting. Metallurgy and Forging are also shaping up.

The mod will make fully developed and functioning industries much harder/more involved to set up, take up more space, etc, but industries will be less map dependent. For instance you can make dwarven pitch, which acts like a flux, from tree sap and dimple dye (based on rosin IRL), and if you're foresting only for fuel you can get about 25-50 charcoal per tree depending on how efficiently you set it up. Those are just a few examples, a full fledged lumber industry has like 5 new different types of buildings with over 10 new jobs each, so its a bit involved.

Anyway, I am wondering now what will be the next industry change.

What http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Industry industry in Dwarf Fortress would you like to see expanded to painstaking detail and depth?

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite industry?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 03:41:49 pm »

My favorite industry is by far the food industry. Nothing like making your dwarves insanely happy, all while making your fortress insanely wealthy.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »

Well, I can't wait to see how your mod turns out :D Good luck!

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:01:02 pm »

My favorite industry is by far the food industry. Nothing like making your dwarves insanely happy, all while making your fortress insanely wealthy.

Hmm, that's a good point. Food does make dwarves insanely happy. It's also worth a lot, which can be fun. Often I trade one or two roasts for everything the caravan brings.

I feel like its too easy to make roasts worth 10k. Few things in the game are more valuable. Maybe bins full of masterwork weapons.

I think if I mod food, I would make it way more involved and harder to get foodstuffs up to such high value, but if you did really focus on making a good food industry, you'd get roasts up to an even higher value. There really is nothing like a bunch of fat, rich, ecstatic dwarves. I bet its even better when its hard to do.

Thanks dood. Saw your cigar mod, mind if I expand on it and give you a shoutout? Tobacco industry wuuut. Put some tobacco in your quarry bush leaves roast. I swear it tastes good.. cough.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:59:31 pm »

Thanks dood. Saw your cigar mod, mind if I expand on it and give you a shoutout? Tobacco industry wuuut. Put some tobacco in your quarry bush leaves roast. I swear it tastes good.. cough.

Go ahead, just slap my name in the credits and you can mod it to your heart's content :) In the future, I might add some of your ideas to my Corrosion Mod. Your mod sounds very promising.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:01:20 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Andal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:36:46 pm »

I feel like its too easy to make roasts worth 10k. Few things in the game are more valuable. Maybe bins full of masterwork weapons.

I think if I mod food, I would make it way more involved and harder to get foodstuffs up to such high value, but if you did really focus on making a good food industry, you'd get roasts up to an even higher value. There really is nothing like a bunch of fat, rich, ecstatic dwarves. I bet its even better when its hard to do.

I would love more of a challenging, involved food prep process. Especially for the high end stuff. Maybe growing spices? Collecting salt if you happen to be in a biome with salt water? Foods other than biscuits, stews and roasts? What I would give to bake bread! We already have two kinds of flour!

And the vanilla prices are definitely ridiculous. I have sold a masterwork wolf roast for -at least- 10k+, and stuff from dragon meat even higher.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 12:36:31 am »

Well it's more of a future suggestion than an expansion, but I would like some changes done to the fishing industry.

Have some fish only be catchable near the shore and river, but have other, larger, and possibly much more valuable fish be catchable only further into the ocean (perhaps +5 tiles away from any shoreline). This would bring the possibility of constructing docks to reach further into the sea or fishing vessels (boats) that are crafted from the carpenter's workshop.

An introduction of new fishing tools would also be cool.

Dwarves start out catching fish with their hands (current), which is generally slow and allows only the most basic of fish to be caught.
A weaver could make a Pig fiber net to speed up the process of fishing.
Fishing rods could be another upgrade that allows a greater diversity of fish to be caught.
And then there could even be harpoons (possibly the same as ballista ammo?) to catch those massive ocean whales.

It'll be quite a feat to be able to construct boats though, so this is only an idea for now.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:38:23 am by noodle0117 »

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:35:08 am »

The glass industry, by a long shot. I was excited to hear ceramics were introduced, but they're nowhere near as versatile as glass. Trap components, doors, grates, boxes, blocks... all magma safe! It is the key reason why I frequently embark on deserts.

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 09:32:48 am »

The glass industry, by a long shot. I was excited to hear ceramics were introduced, but they're nowhere near as versatile as glass. Trap components, doors, grates, boxes, blocks... all magma safe! It is the key reason why I frequently embark on deserts.

Yeah, the glass industry is pretty badass.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 09:53:51 am »

I actually think that's quite an argument for the ceramics industry to be greatly expanded. They should be intensely versatile, like glass already is. I would love to see a engraving-like process for decorating/painting pottery (stone pots too!), with a value increase as well.