Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question on traps.  (Read 541 times)

Xasio7

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating jelly can help growing dwarves.
    • View Profile
question on traps.
« on: April 25, 2011, 01:40:41 pm »

Can you make a trap the emits a chosen substance? (example: water,lava, poisons) because if you could it would greatly help out my mod. Or at least make it so it could hurt thing with extreme heat or cold, and could you also define what materials used to make the trap?
Check out my Slimes,Blobs,and Jellies mod and the Blob-Jelly-Slime Graphics Pack. Now with more slime goodness! (Any feedback is greatly appreciated.)

The perfect birthday present, a cute and cuddly blood blob, and for those growing dwarves try some jelly from a jelly, now with new range of flavors to try from.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: question on traps.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 05:07:58 pm »

No. Sorry. All traps are hardcoded.

Maybe you could make a weapon that did some of those things, or at least mimicked them, and then put it in the trap...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 05:10:52 pm »

You could make a reaction that creates blades out of materials that have properties like lava or poison... but they couldn't be fluids.  They'd just puddle on the floor of the workshop if they were.

I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:14:28 pm »

Or at least make it so it could hurt thing with extreme heat or cold

I suspect that you might be able to make a custom metal which would do this.  Just set a really high or low fixed temperature for the metal (look at the wiki to find these).  Unfortunately, that might cause problems when carrying the bar or trap component around.  The hauler in question might burst into flames/freeze.  Not really sure though.  You could always make dwarves resistant to the extreme temperature.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:49:20 pm »

Or at least make it so it could hurt thing with extreme heat or cold

I suspect that you might be able to make a custom metal which would do this.  Just set a really high or low fixed temperature for the metal (look at the wiki to find these).  Unfortunately, that might cause problems when carrying the bar or trap component around.  The hauler in question might burst into flames/freeze.  Not really sure though.  You could always make dwarves resistant to the extreme temperature.
I think I saw a modding research thread where 2 metals were made, one at a deadly fixed temperature and one at a safe fixed temperature. The safe metal was used to make gauntlets that were then given to a dwarf, who could then handle the overly-hot or overly-cold materials safely. I'm not sure where the thread would be, though it's probably worth a try.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!