Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sandbox strategies? (non DF)  (Read 11038 times)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Sandbox strategies? (non DF)
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:29:18 am »

Hello!

I've found some spare time, thus i want to follow my primal instincts and play some sandbox strategy games! I could play the ones i have, but new toys always make me drool! Bay 12, please aid me in finding some good, new tittles!
Few things though :

Length :
- Space Empires 4 i own, love, and want to have babies with it! A few hundred solar systems to manage? Dozens of fleets? Exactly what i want!
- Civilisation series : No. The games are too short. I like making very long term plans.
Graphics :
- As long as it's not ASCII, i'm game. I'm sorry, but i'm unable to play an ASCII game for too long. I keep missing some important things, even though they're happening right in front of my eyes.
Complexity :
- As far as it goes! If there is only one I WIN strategy = No. If there is a dozen = YES!
Real time or turn based? :
- Turn based, eventually pausable real time. The only RTS i play is Stronghold.
Paradox games? :
- Have them all, love HoI 2 and victoria.

Hit me! All suggestions appreciated.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:38:37 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Acid

• Bay Watcher
  • Self-diagnosed hardcore lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Sandbox strategies? (non DF)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:54:42 am »

Aurora
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47678.0

In my eyes, Aurora is the F.A.T.A.L of 4x games: it's too unnecessary complex. I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're a masochist...
I would have suggested Master of Magic, but if Civ seems too short for you... I don't really know...

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:14:39 am »

Aurora

In my eyes, Aurora is the F.A.T.A.L of 4x games: it's too unnecessary complex. I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're a masochist...
I would have suggested Master of Magic, but if Civ seems too short for you... I don't really know...

Comparing anything to F.A.T.A.L, is... Well.... Cruel. So very cruel.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 10:36:46 am »

Why? FATAL is the best RPG ever made.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 10:42:25 am »

Why? FATAL is the best RPG ever made.

It's so great that attempting to discuss it here in any seriousness would probably be breaking the rules :D

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 11:02:46 am »

Aurora

That's... not why people didn't like FATAL.

Stworca, have you played the X-COM games? They aren't exactly sandbox, but they are pretty close to it. And they're hard, if that matters.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 11:30:59 am »

Sword of the Stars.

Civ 4 with Fall From Heaven 2 total conversion mod, with epic or marathon speed.

Distant Worlds.

Armageddon Empires (not really sandbox, but fun fun fun indy).

Dominions 3, mother of all fantasy strategy games and the best PBEM game ever (remember to use Conceptual Balance Mod).

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 11:42:23 am »

That's... not why people didn't like FATAL.

I once read a fantastic (and scathing...  oh so scathing) review of FATAL.  I think it might be this one.  This page has links to several others.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 11:43:42 am »

You've never known love before you've been loved by a greasy unicorn and just like that, you've never known roleplaying before you've player FATAL... but this isn't thread about it, is it?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 12:04:10 pm »

If "a few hundred solar systems to manage" and "dozens of fleets" are your cup of tea, look no further than Lost Empire: Immortals.

My favorite map:
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 12:17:48 pm »

I thought Lost Empires was released buggy as hell, practically unfinished and then promptly abandoned. Some guy did a huge mod that patched many problems, but not all.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 12:30:51 pm »

Alpha Centauri, if you have the patience for it. (Yes, I realize it's in the same vein as Civilization, but the customization that is possible with units, strategies, etc is fairly big for a 10+ year old game)

What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 12:46:22 pm »

In the order the comments were placed :

@ aurora : I am aware that this game exists, but i could not find a decent "how to" yet that would explain the game to me. I like knowing -something- before even starting. For Dwarf Fortress the LP of captain duck did the trick.
Aurora is a last resort.

@ Acid : Masters of Magic was awesome! (so was Civ 2) But it's an afternoon adventure, not a week strugle  ;)

@ NewsMuffin : I have tried X-Com series, yes. Before someone suggests them : I also played Jagged Alliance and Silent Storm. All of them very nice games, but i'm not looking for that genre this time.
Sword of the Stars.
Civ 4 with Fall From Heaven 2 total conversion mod, with epic or marathon speed.
Distant Worlds.
Armageddon Empires (not really sandbox, but fun fun fun indy).
Dominions 3, mother of all fantasy strategy games and the best PBEM game ever (remember to use Conceptual Balance Mod).

I do have Dominions 3. The only AI i've seen that was WORSE than this of Dominions 3, was from Polish version of Space Empires 5. This was because the translators have screwed it, and there was no working AI at all.
I'll see what Distant Worlds are and Swords of the Stars.

@ Sean Mirrsen, Majestic 7

Is it true? We're talking here about Morrowind-like bugs, that you could easily fix yourself, or Daggerfall bugs that were like eating cooked broccoli when there's a pizza calling your name?

@ Astral : AC was fun too, but from what i remember it's the fastest of "Civ" games. Two dozen turns and the map is colonized!

So right now i'll be reading some more about DW, SotS, LE and perhaps even Aurora.. Keep 'em coming.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.
Pages: [1] 2 3