Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: More Minecraft-inspired Awesome AND WE'RE IN SPACE - Blockade Runner  (Read 57097 times)

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
Re: More Minecraft-inspired Awesome AND WE'RE IN SPACE - Blockade Runner
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2011, 10:10:54 pm »

i REALLY want this update. it seems awesome. also, im ashamed to say this, but ive gotten bored with the sandbox builder.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2011, 01:55:25 am »

Lol.  After the 40K+ blocks I've placed in my Destroyer ship, I've also stopped messing around much with the sandbox builder; so the devs already know that I'm ready for more tools/features/systems to entertain myself with. Haha. 

So don't worry, things will get better, just give it some time for them to do their work.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2011, 04:15:40 pm »

Okay guys, while the next update has lagged behind some, with a suggested release date at the end of the week, we've been given the go-ahead for a community-created page for Blockade Runner.

I am happy to introduce Blockade Runner's new Ship Showcase page, featuring various ships, complete with descriptions and ideas, from several members of the BR community.  The page will be continiously updated, and new information will come up as its provided.  Feel free to take a look.   8)

http://www.blockaderunnergame.com/Projects/BlockadeRunner/showcase.aspx

Also, I believe this requires a big BUMP.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 18, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »

Sweet, im working on a gigantic freighter that i call the titan freighter. I hope ill be able to get it in :D

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 18, 2011, 04:20:18 pm »

We're pulling ships from both the Galacitc Shipyard thread in the Development forum and the Show Me Your Ship thread in the General Forum.  So regardless of if you've bought the game or not, you can still have it put into the Showcase.  8)

A secret hope of mine is that if we get enough ships by enough people, we'll seperate them out by creator/style/ship class. Haha.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2011, 06:00:31 pm »

How are you defining ship classes? Size?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2011, 06:13:45 pm »

I'm suprised this isn't that popular...

I can tell you why I haven't downloaded it yet... It just doesn't seem like a game. Last time I read there weren't even working thrusters or anything, your ships couldn't move at all. Not only that, but it seems like there is some funky strange pay system for the game where you pay to get updates for a year.

Really, until there are systems you can use and guns you can shoot it SEEMS like a re-skinned infiminer. Not only that, but I just do not see how this project could ever be complete. I heard talk of wiring systems up, how the hell do you manage that? What happens when someone blows a hole in the side of your ship? Do people inside die? Get sucked out?

I am sure this will be a game in the near future, and when I start hearing more than "Look at this ship I put together!" I'll probably download it. But just placing blocks doesn't give me my jollies like it used to.

tldr: Not more popular because it isn't a game yet. We can "build" the same ships in Minecraft (at least that is how it appears).

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 18, 2011, 07:27:45 pm »

Man I wanna drop some cash on this, but the whole "R1"  "R2" Sales module bugs me as a consumer.
Thank you based dwarf.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »

Last time I read there weren't even working thrusters or anything, your ships couldn't move at all.

Thrusters have been in for like, 2 months now..
Magma is overrated.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2011, 07:51:01 pm »

I'm suprised this isn't that popular...
Not only that, but I just do not see how this project could ever be complete. I heard talk of wiring systems up, how the hell do you manage that? What happens when someone blows a hole in the side of your ship? Do people inside die? Get sucked out?

There is a big update coming out within the next few days, and rumours are that ship wiring will make its first appearance. And yes, if somebody blows a hole in the side of your ship the air will come out. Before starting work on this game the devs first developed an algorithm for quickly processing the realistic movement of fluids (air or liquid) in a voxel game.

Anyhow, I agree with you that it is not as yet an actual game, and hence it makes perfect sense that it hasn't gotten much attention just yet. I think they are only a few months away from getting serious attention however.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2011, 11:36:52 pm »

I chat with the devs a bit on various things almost all the time; for the way the releases are going to work, its fairly simple.  At the moment, they're working on the Release 1 set; which when completed will be a full game in and of itself.  When you buy Release 1, you get access to the current developmental bi-weekly build. 

Release 2 and onwards I'd call more of expansions.  Of course, its pretty cool, cause if you buy Release 1, and want to try out R2 when the time comes, you can still get the Lite edition of R2 to try it out first.  ;D

As for this update, the devs are still being rather cryptic.  They ran late through W18, and ended up pushing it back to a W19 (hopefully) release, so sometime this late week or early next week.  What I do know, is that for all of us who've been building ships, we may end up having to re-do them inside and out because of everything that's going in.  I can't promise anything else at the moment.

@Dsarker: We're using Navy standards for ship classes at the moment, length, height, width and weight.  Its not exactly accurate, and there's no current in-game way to make sure what you're building is the right sort of vessel. 

@Fikes: While the devs have been rather hush-hush on their ideas for weapons and shielding systems, what they have revealed is that weapons will cause damage to ship blocks; that'll then break down over time.  Heavier, thicker armor can take more punishment than a lighter plate, and sheilds should provide a cross between protection and power costs vs. light-weight designs.  The devs had said that they're using their Liquid Cubed algorithm for the shields, so they'll be a plasma/fluid defense, which'll be cool.

The devs describe the entire ship experience as Living Ship Design, using realistic systems and expectations.  If you're on the space shuttle and there's a leak, you have a big problem, yes? You'll need power, air, a sealed environment, resources; all sorts of things.  And the bigger teh ship, the more people you'll require to run your ship. What do you mean by 'wiring systems up', Fike?

@Yolan: Not even a couple of months, Yolan.  Aaron and Gabriel both made interesting comments today that they know it won't get much attention; atleast not until stuff starts getting blown up.  When questioned about it, all they'd say is that the weapons are going in 'very soon', along with several other features that'll make it more like the game we'll come to love.  8)

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 18, 2011, 11:51:46 pm »

ill just make ship "skeletons " until the next release, dont want to take it all apart and back together. i just thught of an idea, Air shields! Airshields are shields that keep oxygen and other gases in while letting your ships and you pass through.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2011, 07:02:06 pm »

Why shouldnt normal shields work that way?

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 19, 2011, 07:53:27 pm »

In terms of energy-to-density ratio; regular shields protect against external force that's then spread across the whole of the sheilds raidus to disipate the energy of the attack.  For 'airshields', as Roboboy has coined them, the sheilds literally have to be thicker, able to trap molicules dirctly.  They'd require much more energy to cover even a small space, and any leak outside of their projection range would still be deadly.

Still, that's the big difference between 'Sheilds' and 'Forcefields', as coined in StarTrek.  They use the same type of technology in different ways.  The sheilds are exterior only, while forcefields are interior, and can be programmed to produce several different effects. 

But it all comes down to how the devs plan on doing the sheilds, anyway.  Never know, it may end up being pretty cool.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 19, 2011, 10:12:11 pm »

I'm still waiting for this update. Come on baby, dady needs some voxel-based laser space combat.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24