Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: More Minecraft-inspired Awesome AND WE'RE IN SPACE - Blockade Runner  (Read 57095 times)

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
Re: More Minecraft-inspired Awesome AND WE'RE IN SPACE - Blockade Runner
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2011, 05:08:24 pm »

Hmm it doesn't even start on my computer. Says the program is not responding as soon as I start it.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2011, 08:09:57 pm »

Have you installed the necessary support? Links are on the main page.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2011, 08:11:59 pm »

Quote from: Requirements
XNA Framework Redistribution 3.1
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Direct X 9.0c
Video Card with Pixel Shader 2.0
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2011, 08:56:30 pm »

Quote from: Requirements
XNA Framework Redistribution 3.1
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Direct X 9.0c
Video Card with Pixel Shader 2.0

Got them all. I'm assuming having XNA 4.0 would cover for 3.1 as well?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2011, 09:02:27 pm »

Won't hurt to have both, either way.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2011, 09:07:49 pm »

Won't hurt to have both, either way.

You're right. Installed 3.1 and it works now.

Am I the only one having an awkward time with block placement? It seems a bit random where the blocks appear. I right click on one side of a block, and the new block appears attached to another side.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2011, 12:00:41 pm »

Yeah, it's a bit tricky. Far more tricky for me though is keeping myself aligned with the structure around me as I move about. I'm interested in seeing how they develop the game mode to work around this (gravity boots? gravity tiles?)

Can't wait for a forum so I can start bombarding the devs with questions about their plans.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2011, 08:03:44 pm »

Woot! The latest update is out, and yes we now have thrusters...  8)

http://www.zanmgt.com/

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2011, 08:12:21 pm »

Yeah, it's a bit tricky. Far more tricky for me though is keeping myself aligned with the structure around me as I move about. I'm interested in seeing how they develop the game mode to work around this (gravity boots? gravity tiles?)

Gravity tiles would probably be pretty awesome. If you're within a square of them, you align to them.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2011, 08:15:38 pm »

An interesting thing I've only just noticed is that when you enter the zone? box? of an object you align with it. So, we have a few asteroids for example which are rotating When you go right up close to them your point of view rotates in the same way, so the asteroid stays still and space moves. Very cool. I'm not sure how this is going to work if they do away with these boxes as they talked about.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2011, 09:18:16 pm »

This certainly looks interesting... Just watching for now.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2011, 04:30:15 am »

Gravity tiles would indeed be awesome for spaceships, but what of natural asteroids? Maybe they could somehow decide the direction of gravity depending on the center of mass? That sounds a bit hard to do. On the other hand, I'm sure they could at least make the force of gravity be dependent on total mass, so that jumping on a smaller asteroid means you fly off into space.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2011, 07:35:10 am »

Gravity tiles would indeed be awesome for spaceships, but what of natural asteroids? Maybe they could somehow decide the direction of gravity depending on the center of mass? That sounds a bit hard to do. On the other hand, I'm sure they could at least make the force of gravity be dependent on total mass, so that jumping on a smaller asteroid means you fly off into space.

You already align to objects in space, you just don't stick to them. In the case of asteroids they are simply too small to have any gravity, and it would be a bit weird if you would just magically stick to them.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2011, 08:06:37 am »

-==SOME QUESTIONS FOR THE DEVS==-
(I'm actually going to post a link to this on their dev facebook page and hope they come and give us a visit. Of course, everybody feel free to throw in your own thoughts too.)

- GAME MODE CONSTRUCTION

How do you see the basics of the game world working? How do I go from an avatar floating about in space (or starting in a space station?), to building my own ship? With minecraft its fairly realistic to be able to craft everything single handedly because of the low level of tech we are dealing with, but what about blockade runner? Will you buy necessary components and combine them yourself into specific blocks on the spot? Will some/many/all? of the components be directly harvestable/craftable yourself via some kind of development chain?

- SHIP PHYSICS

I've been thinking a bit about ship physics, and I've been wondering how you might deal with some problems that might arise when representing stress on the ship structure. (I'm basing this on the assumption that the current model is temporary anyway, which you have mentioned somewhere I think. Ideally, it shouldn't be possible for blocks to float in mid air while still aligning with the rest of the object, right?)
What is preventing people making ships with extremely strange shapes which would be physically impossible under something approaching real physics? For example, massive engines being linked by a think thread of blocks to the body of the ship, perhaps even with a u-bend? Will this just have to be accepted, or is there some way of calculating the stress load places on individual squares? If possible I think this would be pretty cool, especially if the load limit changes depending on the square type. So, when designing your ship, especially with large ones, you need to make sure you have lots of strong steel girders running along in a kind of 'spine' to hold everything together.

- CONTROLS

How do you envisage the basic mechanics of ship control design? Leaving aside unique control blocks like ship flight/weapon systems, I'm guessing you might have a system something like this...

1. Action blocks. Single function with state of ON or OFF. I.E.

- Air pump - Moves air from one side to the other when activated. Three versions (north/south, east/west, up/down).
- Vent - Acts as open block for purpose of air when activated.
- Doors (not really a block perhaps, but anyway)

2. Power/Communication blocks.

- Links to other bocks of same time to create a route for signal/power for action blocks.

3. Command block.

- Activating it sends a signal

Is this about right? I'm guessing you don't want command blocks magically or wirelessly connecting to action blocks, as it makes ship design/damage less interesting. OK, I was thinking though that you wouldn't want to have to make unique circuits for every command to action block set up, as you could end up with an unmanageable number of cables everywhere, esp. in large ships. So, could you make it so that action blocks and command blocks can run through the same communication cable? So long as there is a viable route for the signal to cross, it's OK? Linking specific command blocks to specific action blocks could be done by say, holding an engineer tool of some kind while using the blocks.

I could keep going but that's enough for now! Looking forward to every update.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24