Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: More Minecraft-inspired Awesome AND WE'RE IN SPACE - Blockade Runner  (Read 57056 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: More Minecraft-inspired Awesome AND WE'RE IN SPACE - Blockade Runner
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2011, 03:06:36 pm »

I'm so autistic instead of a spectrum I have a double rainbow.

so intense
Shoes...

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2011, 03:08:13 pm »

Dwarf Fortress, you remove blocks to make underground fortresses and then build stuff with them on the surface, meaning nearly every single person on this forum MUST be autistic.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2011, 04:04:15 pm »

Don't forget hobbyist architects! They're autistic too. Question, though: I make jewelry that I don't plan to sell, wear, or give away, and I do it because it's fun. Does that make me autistic too?

Okay, on-topic, this game looks crazy fun. And much easier to get into than SS13. We so excited.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2011, 04:58:56 pm »

Do I see people transforming autism from a pejorative to an affection term up in here?
Thank you based dwarf.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2011, 08:33:14 pm »

Yes, yes you did.

WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY 12!

Hope you like autism!
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2011, 09:27:55 pm »

Wow
First post in the thread and I made almost every one autistic.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2011, 09:36:42 pm »

Wow
You should go on TV?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2011, 10:01:53 pm »

Wow
You should go on TV?

The TV is a cube= autism.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2011, 02:21:37 am »

I like how these people managed to come up with a punny name for this project. It took me a few minutes to notice the "Block" in "Blockade Runner". :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2011, 10:10:45 pm »

I like how these people managed to come up with a punny name for this project. It took me a few minutes to notice the "Block" in "Blockade Runner". :)

I'm going to embarrass myself and admit that I didn't even notice until you pointed it out!  :o

So, only a few more days till the next update if they are keeping to schedule! I am excited. ^^

I thought I'd put up a couple of links.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZanMgt  -  Their Youtube channel. The R1W3 video is pretty sweet.

http://www.moddb.com/games/liquid-cubed - A mod for infiniminer that they were working on for some time leading up till recently. This is kind of where they got stuck into voxel development and started to formulate the plan for blockade runner. Let me quote the relevant section, as it contains stuff not mentioned on the main site.

A NEW HOPE

We first fell in love with the freedom of voxels in Zach Barth's Infiniminer back in 2009. A whole slew of limitations forced upon games were suddenly broken with Infinimer's concept “everything matters”, and it was nothing short of brilliant. The real inspiration for us however, came from the game's infamous lava.

While expanding upon the concept of a more advanced liquid algorithm, we spent the next couple years modding Infiniminer off-and-on with many other little hair-brained ideas. Having contemplated adding “constructable flying blimps” in the Fall of 2009, we were led to an even crazier string of thoughts:
“What if you were mining an asteroid instead?”

“...What if you could walk around a starship you built from stem to stern, power conduit to warp engine, and every part of the ship actually matters?”

“...What if you could suck people out into space, blast apart a ship's power arteries, cut a ship in half, work together with your buddies to hold off a boarding party, raid derelict vessels for parts, and land on procedurally generated planets to force the locals into digging up gold for your intergalactic conquest!?”

At the time, the wishful ramblings of a 'pure voxel starship' game seemed ludicrous, and since 2009 we've added quite a bit to the wish-list for a “Starship: Infiniminer”. But after testing the necessary components in Liquid Cubed, gaining several years of experience within the voxel environment, and building a plan that will support the long-term development, we believe we're capable of pulling off this ambitious concept.
BLOCKADE RUNNER

What will follow for the tentatively titled “Blockade Runner” should be familiar to those already experienced with agile indie projects: Rapid development builds, the indie-funding-formula “pay less now for alpha”, and a team forgoing the publisher's capital investment to ensure the bold vision is never lost to 'market appeal'.

Full-time work on Blockade Runner by Nathan has already begun, with an in-development version of the game being prepared for release on April 11th . The six month plan is to focus on multiplayer with build-able, crew-able, functioning, “living” starships using cellular automata. This will then lead to further development sprints reaching procedurally-generated stations, planets, and beyond.

More information on Blockade Runner will be available as the new ZanMgt website is unrolled during the next few weeks.

I like this Aaron Harris guy already, and not just because I also dreamed of constructed flying blimp fights in 2009 (seriously!). The vision these guys have for their game is so close to what I would like from a computer game that it scares me. I enjoyed minecraft, and I think it was a breakthrough in game history in so many ways, but it is also for me a lot less than a 'complete' game. OK, technically that's because it isn't finished yet, but based on what notch has said I'm not hopeful of any serious new dimension being added to the game that would take it to a new conceptual level. Blockade runner is different. OK, I don't know if these guys have the coding ability to pull this off. Maybe the concept is just too grand, and beyond what they are capable of. But the concept alone is so good that if they can realise it even at a basic level, they should rake in the money, support and attention needed to keep at it full time. Again, at least conceptually, I think this would leave minecraft for dead. How many people went nuts over that video of the enterprise made in minecraft? Compare that to making your own star ship filled with essential working parts and using it to fight other people in their star ships... *mind explodes*

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:14:02 pm by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2011, 10:16:18 pm »

So, it's Battlecruiser 3000AD + Minecraft.  I bet you anything Derek Smart is going to sue them or something if that feature list is ever halfway accomplished.

But yeah, I think this has been pretty ever nerd's be-all-end-all dreamgame since most of us first saw X-Wing or Elite.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19:10 pm »

I"ll admit ever since I saw Voxelstein I've entertained the occasional fantasy of this kind of  game.
Shoes...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2011, 10:21:18 pm »

So, it's Battlecruiser 3000AD + Minecraft.  I bet you anything Derek Smart is going to sue them or something if that feature list is ever halfway accomplished.

But yeah, I think this has been pretty ever nerd's be-all-end-all dreamgame since most of us first saw X-Wing or Elite.
Battlecruiser?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2011, 12:39:26 am »

Battlecruiser?
Hard to get into like DF, beautiful like a trainwreck, and handles like one too. You still won't find a more detailed space battleship simulator. ("Detailed", not "accurate", mind you) Well, it was supposed to be an "everything" simulator, but seeing as all control schemes got fused into one, steering a jeep is an exercise in frustration. And you can't strafe while walking. It's still fun to get out of a station's airlock in a spacesuit, accidentally jump, then suddenly realise yours and the station's orbital speeds don't match. Had to walk five miles across the station's surface back to the airlock.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2011, 06:12:15 am »

At least you were on the station when you landed.   I've ended up lost in space doing that.

Then I realized I was playing Battlecruiser 3000 and stopped.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24