Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That stuff? Ain't Mine!  (Read 1590 times)

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
That stuff? Ain't Mine!
« on: April 24, 2011, 06:59:56 pm »

I've been having problem with certain items being left idle near my weapon traps. I double, triple checked that they wered forbidden. I set them to dump, created new "garbage" zones nearby. I have no idea why, but they just don't want to touch them.

Some of them are owned, some aren't.

Anyone had this problem?
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: That stuff? Ain't Mine!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 07:11:01 pm »

Are they outdoors?  And do you have Orders set to gather Refuse from outdoors?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 07:18:43 pm »

Clothing and other items which are Owned will not be dumped.  They will only be moved by the dwarf who owns them, and then only if that dwarf has free space in his room to store them (preferably in a cabinet), free time to pick up his space, and a personality which isn't too lazy or sloppy.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jiharn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:32:04 pm »

If the owner happens to be a child, though, he won't pick up the clothing until he's reached 12 years old, from what I've seen.  If that happens, and it bugs you to see it, just forbid and hide it so you don't have to deal with it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 08:17:16 pm »

I prefer to use dfliquids to place 1/7 magma over the tile with the discarded clothing.

I loathe discarded clothing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 08:31:49 pm »

I prefer to use dfliquids to place 1/7 magma over the tile with the discarded clothing.

I loathe discarded clothing.

Genius!

<3
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »

just make sure your weapon traps are magma proof, or there's a lot of hard work down the drain (and possibly some Fun if you use wooden weapons)
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 09:53:51 pm »

just make sure your weapon traps are magma proof, or there's a lot of hard work down the drain (and possibly some Fun if you use wooden weapons)
I just imagined making lignite weapon traps, setting them on fire, and using them in a my trap entrance for sieges.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:40:58 pm »

I just imagined making lignite weapon traps, setting them on fire, and using them in a my trap entrance for sieges.

i have a feeling that would just end up causing lots of  !!Fun!!
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 01:23:33 am »

But isn't that the point?

"The spinning !!lignite short sword!! hits the goblin thief in the left lower leg, smashing the bone through the !!troll fur trousers!! !"
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 01:34:40 am »

Not if you closed it off until panic room burrow times during invasions.

Though, any number of slip ups could mean serious Fun for your less intelligent dorfs. You know...the lead paint eating, refusing-gathering-during-invasion, cave-in self-murdering, short-bus dorfs.

Urist McBludgeonWithFullyLoadedCrossbow and his fellow Darwin Award recipients.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 03:49:25 am »

Not if you closed it off until panic room burrow times during invasions.

Though, any number of slip ups could mean serious Fun for your less intelligent dorfs. You know...the lead paint eating, refusing-gathering-during-invasion, cave-in self-murdering, short-bus dorfs.

Urist McBludgeonWithFullyLoadedCrossbow and his fellow Darwin Award recipients.

In this case it should probably be the "Dwarwin Awards".

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o