Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Axe of Ironshaken  (Read 1485 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Axe of Ironshaken
« on: April 24, 2011, 03:32:03 pm »

So, I am feeling particularly creative, and while interesting games [of story-writing quality] and legends elude me, I can aleways just use the age old tactic of making shit up as I go. Served me well enough in the past.

Anyways, I had the idea of making the story.. interactive. I stop the story at certain points and ask what should happen next. The problem with that is huge gaps in story where people tell me what they want, and would make it a bitch to read, which is opposite of what I want.

My new idea however just takes all those stops and crams them together at the begining. I'll give you the premise of how the story starts, you guys unload ideas on me of what you'd like to see, then in a new thread I can write with impunity, and you'll get to see your ideas [hopefully] come from the flow of story, for all to see.

So, without further ado. [adu?]

The story will start with an already formed and functioning fortress. Probably Ironshaken [unless a better suggestion comes] since it's my current fortress anyways. The protagonist will be a migrant soldier. Weapon type is up for grabs. It'll start with how he is assigned to protect a group of migrants that are going to the fortress, how he arrives and the story will be his experience there, leading to the eventual downfall of the fortress [probably by clowns, again, unless a better suggestion is mentioned.] I don't want the story to be relatively short, so no ''He arrives, and WHAM, comet out of nowhere. It'll be written in the same style [sorta] as Dragonwork, link below.

So, DF Forums.... come at me bros, unleash your thoughts and opinions. I got my note pad waiting.

Edit; Also, if I get conflicting ideas, like two ways the fortress goes down or five different ways for our hero to meet his end and/or survive[and? what?], then I'll just choose [in my opinion] the best one. The interesting part is you may not even know I'm using your idea until it comes out in the story.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:34:52 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Axe of Ironshaken
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 03:37:09 pm »

So we basically suggest all kind of things and than later on you make a story out of it?
My 2 suggestions:
weapon skill->sword
and whatever happens, the 'hero' of the story should try to get the adamantine sword ASAP  :)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 03:38:33 pm »

Adieu.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 03:40:59 pm »

So we basically suggest all kind of things and than later on you make a story out of it?
My 2 suggestions:
weapon skill->sword
and whatever happens, the 'hero' of the story should try to get the adamantine sword ASAP  :)

Yeah, you guys just tell me what you'd like to see in a dwarf fortress tale, and I'll do my best to make it happen.

Adieu.
Thank you. My french is lacking. lol.
Legacy of Insightshields

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:29:10 pm »

Just the sword and circus so far? Going to be a fairly bland story. =P

I'll give it time. I'll go play MK9 while I wait. :D
Legacy of Insightshields

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 03:38:26 am »

Well, it would be nice to see the hero at some point losing an arm, and spending the rest of his life one-handed. Maybe to a GCS? :D

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 05:08:38 am »

If the hero uses any kind of weapon: ANYTHING BUT A SWORD. ANYTHING.

Literally, I'm so tired of swords.

That's my request.

xl 4ndre lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 07:57:10 am »

If he doesn't use a sword than make it a morningstar he aquired after witnessing a cave croc kill a human adventurer. After slaying the beast he found a severed arm still clutching the weapon

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 10:26:47 am »

If he doesn't use a sword than make it a morningstar he aquired after witnessing a cave croc kill a human adventurer. After slaying the beast he found a severed arm still clutching the weapon

I approve of this suggestion.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 10:33:51 am »

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 11:20:56 am »

A one armed flail weilder. In my mind, that'd have to be one very hardcore dwarf.
Legacy of Insightshields

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 11:35:37 am »

morning star is cool too! Just no lame axes or hammers. Dwarves always have axes or hammers and swords are just a lot cooler, you'll need to mod in the flails / morning stars though. Or are you going for AdvMode?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »

morning star is cool too! Just no lame axes or hammers. Dwarves always have axes or hammers and swords are just a lot cooler, you'll need to mod in the flails / morning stars though. Or are you going for AdvMode?

Neither. I'm going to write the story free of any set thing. So he could weild a magma bathtub and it'd be cool. He'd just have massive upper body strength.

And burns. Lots of burns.

and yeah, when they said morningstar for some reaosn I thought flail. I have no idea why.
Legacy of Insightshields

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 12:20:41 pm »

I propose downfall by revolution!
How about a jaded and broken-down soldier who have migrated from his home-fortress due to it already experiencing Fun?
Our hero is weary of the world, and realizes exactly how much of a crapsack it is. His past in the military of his home-fortress made him slowly understand how the world works, or more exactly, how it doesn't.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He had to become a migrant, now that his home-fortress went down the drain. Preferably caused by the folly of its tyrant.
No one respects or like this poor and foreign migrant in the new fortress, and this story is how he works his way up from the gutters. At first he is sent to be meat-fodder to all beasts and perceived threats to the fortress. Then, when he becomes less expendable, he sets his eyes on a higher cause than just surviving. He swears to topple the tyrants and found a new civilization. A better civilization! He needs others to join his cause, from both inside and outside the fortress. The revolution will be bloody, but by the skin of his teeth, he might make it.
Well, that is how he reasons, in any case...

Doesn't contain HFS nor carp. That might make it not-so-very DF-esque... :c
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 12:35:40 pm »

I had actually considered throwing in random oddities in the new fortress he came too. Maybe dwarves crouched behind a rock with ''cow leather helmets'', being just the hea dof the cow stuck on their head, throwing kitten grenades or something.
Legacy of Insightshields
Pages: [1] 2