Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need a megaproject idea.  (Read 2288 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
I need a megaproject idea.
« on: April 24, 2011, 02:55:48 pm »

My recent Artificial Waterfall Fortress finally ended due to a large wave of Goblin sieges and some underground issues that made some people rage.

So now I have ran out of idea's and I haven't really done to many megaprojects, so does anyone have any idea's for me?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: I need a megaproject idea.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 03:06:13 pm »

The Ice Castle is always challenging, there's also the Artificial Sky, Orbital Defense System, Elf Tree, Tree Fortress, The Ocean Submarine, Temple to Armok, some form of Tower, or a Sky Ocean (I don't think anyone's actually done it though).
If you have no idea what any of these are just ask.
Edit:Typo
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:09:48 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 03:10:41 pm »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 03:25:34 pm »

Make a series of murals depicting major events in the history of your fortress.

Or Boatmurdered's history.

The murals should be made from constructed stone floors, to allow for control over colour. You're probably going to need lots of cinnabar, bauxite, kaolinite, and petrified wood. :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 03:56:42 pm »

A Tetris emulator through dwarfputer logic, controlling big 'drawbridge' pixels.  For starters, don't worry about making it playable.  Save that until later. :)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 04:12:48 pm »

I HAVE AN IDEA!

Go to the top of the map, and make a magma pump stack. Fill every tile in the whole map with magma.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 04:18:19 pm »

I was gonna suggest an artificial volcano made of wood or ice, but Necro's idea sound so much more awesome. You could do both, I suppose.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 04:23:24 pm »

If it's a freezing biome, create stalactites: Spurt water up to the top of the map onto a ceiling, and when it freezes, it'll make stalactites.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 04:31:33 pm »

A Tetris emulator through dwarfputer logic, controlling big 'drawbridge' pixels.  For starters, don't worry about making it playable.  Save that until later. :)

I just thought I ought to mention that I've already sketched out the rough idea behind it, so it wasn't entirely joking.

Let's just say that on a special tick, a randomiser consisting either a tethered animal or two, or a sloshing non-multiple-of-seven water cistern initiates (via pressure plates hard wired) one of the blocks, on demand, in one of its orientations.  This pumps water into special cells related to the pattern (might as well be arranged in the same grid formation as the playing field, for ease of use, except there's two grid layers).

On a more regular tick, every cell with water is pumped into the next cell 'down' (same layer).  There's pressure-plate logic to see if the lower layer (if not the 'bottom' row, when it's automatic) and one row further 'down' has water which causes the water to be dumped from the upper grid to the lower one and generates a "new piece" tick.  If this happens while there's still water in the top-most row (in-game, just above the top of the display, and thus not even represented as such by the flipping drawbridges representing the presence of water in a more aesthetic sense) it triggers the end-game situation, drains all water from the lower level and starts it all off again.

The problem is that I believe you'd have to make the "fall" tick sequentially move each row (bottom to top), because setting them all going would just move the water-filled cells down to the bottom, or spread them out into non 7/7ths, depending on how the pumps react to the source/destination fill-levels.

As and when the ability for lateral movement is added, like the real thing it could wait a further tick before setting that in stone, as it were, and if you can 'mash the controls' quick enough, you can translate the piece over.  (As per the 'falling', you'd need two "column-by-column" methods, one for going left, one from going right.) It seems easy enough to implement a way to translate the pieces sideways.  It would be a similar system to them 'falling', except sideways.  Where not blocked by falling-piece about to cross onto a 'fallen' bit of tile (handily, you're already differentiating between going left or right, so relatively easy to establish such cases), or indeed being at the edge it's heading towards, already, and thus an invalid move that is aborted and not even attempted.

I've not yet worked out the logic for rotations.  And for now I'm ignoring the "drop fast" key (but could be a short-circuit enabled in the drop-tick section so that it just runs faster, without being too fast to regulate the row-by-row... and would also negate any attempt to shift or rotate the 'piece').  However, user control would be either by dwarf-pulled lever activation, or an animal/prisoner-logic wander across a suitable pressure plate on the way to an 'exit', as controlled by doors... and with other tried-and-tested methods to send them back in a loop to the holding cell while everything resets.  I'm estimating that the (unhurried) 'Falling'-ticks might be made a few game-days long, with the appropriate governing mechanism, but that could be too generous.

Separate multi-source pressure-logic would detect completed lines in the lower ('fallen') grid, at the end of a "falling->fallen" transfer, drain those lines that satisfy the condition (through selective use of the more global 'reset' mechanism) and initiate a falling-like movement of all lines above.  The 'falling tick' is subverted (easily done, with a mode change 'bit' of separate water-filled channel) and made to 'fall' the incomplete lines in the 'fallen' array instead of the 'falling' one.  Similar set-up.

So, you see, largely possible!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 04:49:22 pm »

Do what I'm going to try. Build a giant obsidian skull that weeps/vomits magma. Bonus points for the magma weep/vomit being incorporated into defenses. Bonus bonus for the skull cranium being an arena or nobles housing.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 04:50:51 pm »

Giant, 6-z-level-high statue of a toad, made out of gold. On its back, put seven statues of dwarves, all made out of obsidian, to represent the founding of the fort.

And make the toad spit magma.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 05:13:15 pm »

Build a giant obsidian version of Barad-dur, complete with magma river. Bonus points if you figure out how to do the Eye of Sauron on top. Maybe make it from !!lignite!!?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 06:00:12 pm »

I'm currently building an ice castle. I think Bara'dur might be my next project when I get bored of my ice fortress. It will likely use the same basic construction around the perimeter of the map, only obsidian instead of ice, and the fortress itself will be vertically stacked in the tower rather than underground where its warm.

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 06:33:47 pm »

Construct a giant tree, and have your dwarves live and work in its branches, with mining tunnels serving as its roots.

Bonus points: Pump water up the trunk.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 06:45:16 pm »

Construct a giant tree, and have your dwarves live and work in its branches, with mining tunnels serving as its roots.

Bonus points: Pump water up the trunk.
Win.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: [1] 2