Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Badgers? Meh.  (Read 850 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Badgers? Meh.
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:53:22 am »

A dozen badgers? Getting angry over nothing. The "combat" reports are about 95% badgers becoming enraged, 4% livestock and citizens not getting hurt by attacks, and maybe 1% combat-the yak and a badger hurting each other's right legs.
Badgers have even run up to the fort entrance, multiple times.
Why are badgers scary again?
EDIT: Now closer to 93% becoming enraged, 4% not-hitting, 2% my carpenter strangling a badgers until it died, and 1% other combat.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:58:56 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Badgers? Meh.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:27:48 pm »

You will know when a badger boar finds You.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 12:31:02 pm »

The danger is in the quantity and the rage. If there are badgers, there are usually a lot of badgers. When they become enraged, they attack your dwarves (I think rage also adds damage to attacks). With many badgers comes many attacks, as well as many job disrupts. If they go into the fort, your industries are basically put on hold until they leave. They can also seriously harm lone dwarves.

Overall, badgers aren't usually too terribly big a problem. Just watch out for the honey badgers.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 01:06:00 pm »

Normal badgers generally aren't a problem. With Giant Badgers, your survivors are spending the next season picking up limbs and a scraps of flesh for burial.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:17:31 pm »

Quantity is generally the thing. In arena testing for parasprites for the My Little Fortress mod, I found that if these 500 gram creatures outnumbered a 250 kilo pony by between five and ten to one, it wasn't certain the pony would survive or even win. Outside of the arena, parasprites are rhesus macaque-like pests that scatter, but with badgers becoming enraged, they'll mob your dwarves. Basically, they're dangerous enough to force you to form a semi-serious squad to deal with them. I tend to grab a few badgers or honey badgers, tame them and pasture them with the surface livestock, give my buffalo a fighting chance in an ambush.

As for giant badgers, fuck that noise. We're living underground from now on. Here's a thought, has anyone modded in a giant honey badger, or honey badgerman?

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:25:26 pm »

my little fortress?
is that df+ponies?
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 01:34:25 pm »

Oh yes. Includes horse armour, parasprites, wheat worms as crops, and zebras, demon ponies and cave ponies as optional extras.