Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My Italy Worldgen  (Read 2627 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: My Italy Worldgen
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 10:45:32 pm »

No, most of Scotland is Dwarf territory.

As it should be ;)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 11:34:00 pm »

To go into deeper explanation, Perfect World has no control over good and evil biomes. 

The game generates noise maps for all the different features of the game like good and evil biomes, and then overlays it on the geography map that is produced by Perfect World.  Because of a quirk in the way the game does this, it makes it extremely likely that very lage biomes (like oceans) are going to have at least one peak in either good or evil, and that will make the entire ocean either good or evil based upon which peak or trough you run across first in the randomization. 

Hence, large enough oceans in Perfect World are essentially always going to be either good or evil. 

Likewise, the game will make either the north or south end of the map the "glacial" side of the map, and there's no control over that (but at least it's a 50-50 chance that you'll come up with the one you want). 

When I've seen other people do these Perfect World maps, they tended to do an entire chunk of a hemisphere to get around the fact that glaciers appear at one end of the map, which is a little odd if you have glaciers in Spain. 

Making the northern border of the map the Alps, so that you just pretend it being an ice-capped mountain range for your glaciers is a clever trick.

You can avoid having oceans always being evil or good by setting the evil count in large regions to zero. If you set the count to one, you will get exactly one large region as good and evil. If you have three oceans, you're almost guaranteed to have one of each ocean as good, evil and nuetral, unless some large mountain range gets it, which does happen occasionally. What I usually do is pump up the medium counts to a really high number and leave the large counts at one or zero, because in my opinion they look better and you get alot more bio?-diversity.

I do very much wish we could turn off the temperature poles in world gen. There's alot of fun stuff that can be done with temperature if we could only control it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:37:25 pm by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 12:22:24 am »

I do very much wish we could turn off the temperature poles in world gen. There's alot of fun stuff that can be done with temperature if we could only control it.

This.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 12:32:31 am »

I love this. Scotland is the place of the Mountain Holmes, Wales is full of Elves...
And my favourite part? London is on a volcano.

Only shame is that there's no Isle of Wight. Not sure you could fully fit that in though.

And yes, it would be lovely to have a Freezing Biome count/control, which just happens to go north or south by default.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 12:48:53 am »

Oh you can control it, it's just for some reason cephalo won't put the importer in.  I think it's because you can't switch the "poles" off and he doesn't like that.  I don't agree, because you could still do relative temperature, and just forget about the poles.  Or compensate for them.

Either way it seems ceph isn't working on PerfectWorldDF anymore, which is REALLY unfortunate because theres a few persistant bugs and a couple of things he could do to the make the program truly live up to it's name - Perfect.

Probably wouldn't take more than a few sessions of coding either, I would imagine.  Imports for all types, temperature control, night creatures and the mineral scarcity... and then it would be complete.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 01:15:06 am »

The one thing I would love to see is a map of Middle Earth :). If you ever have a time for this.

Also a better post-apocalyptuc USA map (with lots of desert and some swamp/grassland/plains places) for my Wasteland mod which I plan to update in the upcoming week.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 03:29:27 am »

I would also like to see a map of Finland. Lots of trees to chop down :P

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 05:38:59 am »

I would also like to see a map of Finland. Lots of trees to chop down :P

I think I will do a Scandinavia and Finland map today or tomorrow if I have time.

Also I realized my UK map doesn't have the Isle of Mann. I might try to add it in later.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 06:05:53 am »

The entire Scandinavia is actually a quite good idea, forest, mountains, seas, pretty much everything.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 08:28:59 am »

Oh you can control it, it's just for some reason cephalo won't put the importer in.  I think it's because you can't switch the "poles" off and he doesn't like that.  I don't agree, because you could still do relative temperature, and just forget about the poles.  Or compensate for them.

Either way it seems ceph isn't working on PerfectWorldDF anymore, which is REALLY unfortunate because theres a few persistant bugs and a couple of things he could do to the make the program truly live up to it's name - Perfect.

Probably wouldn't take more than a few sessions of coding either, I would imagine.  Imports for all types, temperature control, night creatures and the mineral scarcity... and then it would be complete.

Awe, I'll get around to it. I'll do everything you mention in this post, plus I'm going to have the map gen options configurable in an XML file so things don't get complicated when version changes come along. It's gonna be alot of work though, for one thing, I have to remember what the heck I was doing. Every time I look at my old code it seems like the work of a madman who's trying to trap me in his nightmare.

Patience... Dwarf Fortress is all about patience.

PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 08:54:16 am »

Patience... Dwarf Fortress is all about patience.
And magma.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 10:27:13 am »

The one thing I would love to see is a map of Middle Earth :). If you ever have a time for this.

Also a better post-apocalyptuc USA map (with lots of desert and some swamp/grassland/plains places) for my Wasteland mod which I plan to update in the upcoming week.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Someones already made one funnily enough. Can't wait for the army arc with this. Dwarven mordor anyone?
Blargh.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 01:02:14 pm »

Yay, ceph!

I got disappointed because there was never a response to feature requests or bug reports, the only real activity in that thread was "OMG it's not working how do  I get it working!"

Thanks for the heads up!

Emperor Nuthulu: Doesn't the lower right seem a bit mountain heavy to you?  I mean, not even dwarves would be able to embark there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:04:01 pm by Jeoshua »

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »

Once there's a map of the Steppes of Ukraine I can start my Scythian fortress nomad camp.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 10:57:36 pm »

Awe, I'll get around to it. I'll do everything you mention in this post, plus I'm going to have the map gen options configurable in an XML file so things don't get complicated when version changes come along. It's gonna be alot of work though, for one thing, I have to remember what the heck I was doing. Every time I look at my old code it seems like the work of a madman who's trying to trap me in his nightmare.

Hahaha! That's the way my code works for me, too.

If I don't comment it, because I figured I'd never need to look back at the code I wrote again, or because I'm just trying to kludge something together as fast as possible, I won't have any idea what I was doing.

Fortunately, I tend to comment well enough under most circumstances. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3