Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My Italy Worldgen  (Read 2625 times)

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Italy Worldgen
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:15:20 am »

This is my first map with PerfectWorldDF, it is a map with Italy. It is an awesome geographical location for DF. You have to reload the map generator sometimes if the hot and cold temperatures are on the wrong sides.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4268
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:40:00 am by xcrissxcrossx »

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Re: My Italy Worldgen
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:17:11 am »

I'm intruiged, but not enough to download it. Some pics, maybe?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:17:43 am »

Why are you using mediafire?  We have DFFD for this sort of thing, and it isn't plagued by ads.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:17:56 am »

Sorry I totally forgot to add a pic. Here is my worldgen.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:20:16 am »

I'm new to this. Here is the file on DFFD.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4268

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 11:26:29 am »

Hah, nice. But why is it haunted up to the north?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 11:28:12 am »

My guess would be personal preferences.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 11:29:45 am »

The good/bad/evil biomes are somewhat random. It won't always be evil up there. Most of the times I ran the script, the Mediterranean was an evil ocean.

I made the map so the farther from Rome, the more likely is will be evil; the closer, the more likely it will be good.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:30:46 am »

Which volcano is Mt. Vesuvius?
I wonder what the English translation of Pompeii is, if there is one...

The good/bad/evil biomes are somewhat random. It won't always be evil up there. Most of the times I ran the script, the Mediterranean was an evil ocean.
Scary...

I made the map so the farther from Rome, the more likely is will be evil; the closer, the more likely it will be good.
Cool!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 11:34:42 am »

Which volcano is Mt. Vesuvius?

The volcanoes are also somewhat randomized, but I made it extremely likely for Mt. Vesuvius to form. in that generation, there are two volcanoes very close to each other in the middle of Italy. The one on the left is Mt. Vesuvius.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 12:01:24 pm »

Scary...

To go into deeper explanation, Perfect World has no control over good and evil biomes. 

The game generates noise maps for all the different features of the game like good and evil biomes, and then overlays it on the geography map that is produced by Perfect World.  Because of a quirk in the way the game does this, it makes it extremely likely that very lage biomes (like oceans) are going to have at least one peak in either good or evil, and that will make the entire ocean either good or evil based upon which peak or trough you run across first in the randomization. 

Hence, large enough oceans in Perfect World are essentially always going to be either good or evil. 

Likewise, the game will make either the north or south end of the map the "glacial" side of the map, and there's no control over that (but at least it's a 50-50 chance that you'll come up with the one you want). 

When I've seen other people do these Perfect World maps, they tended to do an entire chunk of a hemisphere to get around the fact that glaciers appear at one end of the map, which is a little odd if you have glaciers in Spain. 

Making the northern border of the map the Alps, so that you just pretend it being an ice-capped mountain range for your glaciers is a clever trick.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 05:26:34 pm »

It looks pretty good. Do you take requests by the way?
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 05:52:26 pm »

It looks pretty good. Do you take requests by the way?

This is my first map but i certainly can start.

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 08:05:19 pm »

I just made a map of the U.K. I'm from the US so I'm not as precise as a Brit but I think it is decent. Most of Scotland is uncolonizable but the areas that are inhabited in reality (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness) are very available.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4273

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 10:35:50 pm »

So.. how'd you do it?
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.
Pages: [1] 2 3