Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Note to self: Circus Pits and Cave-Ins are not a good mix  (Read 507 times)

Jiharn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Note to self: Circus Pits and Cave-Ins are not a good mix
« on: April 23, 2011, 07:21:16 pm »

In an attempt to get to the Circus as quickly as possible to check something random, I genned a world to have no cavern or magma, and the thinnest possible rock and semi-molten rock layers.  Channeled into an undiscovered SM rock square, but couldn't descend to continue digging.  Solution: drop a cave floor through it!

Worked like a charm, opened a path to the Circus, and apparently never sounded the alarm for the Clown Car.  There ended up being ooooone miiiinor prooooblem, though: a Circus pit happened to be directly underneath, and the caved-in floor...broke through that too at the map's bottom layer.  Cue a constant spam of cave-in warnings at that very spot, several per step:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All the pages between those two look pretty much the exact same as page 5.  For the record, here's a shot with the Mayday graphics pack of what the pit looks like at the cave-in spot:
And here is the view from a few floors up (you'll notice the pit image is no longer projected up from the caved-in square):

I'm not sure why the cave in message keeps spamming.  Maybe the debris/smoke from the initial crash comes in contact with the new magma flow square and counts as another collision?  Or perhaps the pits try to automatically fill themselves in, and the constantly regenned square gets eaten up as soon as it appears.  Vicious cycle!

One thing for certain is that being unable to unpause without the announcement instantly repausing it is getting a little annoying.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Note to self: Circus Pits and Cave-Ins are not a good mix
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 07:50:03 pm »

I would upload the save to DFFD, then file a bug on the bug tracker with a link to the save and a link to this thread.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Note to self: Circus Pits and Cave-Ins are not a good mix
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:52:20 pm »

~/data/init/announcements.txt, change [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R] to [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D] (remove :P:R)

This will stop it from pausing and recentering every time.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.