Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding a volcano  (Read 909 times)

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
Finding a volcano
« on: April 23, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »

Like the title says - I'd like to (finally?) find an embark with a volcano (you know, magma on/near the surface) - is there an easy way to accomplish that? I've found embark areas where in the notes it says like Volcano: blah blah blah, but it says that for a whole area and I wasn't sure that meant any part I embarked in would have a volcano... I also like to expand the z layers between caverns and whatnot (25 as opposed to the 1 or 2 in the settings), so I'm not sure if that'd affect it any.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a volcano
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 02:55:11 pm »

Volcanos are clearly marked on the world map with a red ^ symbol. If you can't find any decent spots, you can raise the world minimum of volcanos in the advanced parameters to make it easier on yourself.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 02:56:31 pm »

Well, yes. I see the volcanos in the world part (the right screen of the 3), so that means anywhere I embark in that area will have a volcano?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 03:00:58 pm »

Nah, the volcano's mouth is set in stone; you'll want to center on its exact location (the magma symbol) on the leftmost screen with the umkh keys.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 03:07:21 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 03:04:22 pm »

try advanced worldgen, seriously increase min. volcanos. Upping min. vulcanism can help but is not as important.

On a pocket map i set min 30 or more volcanos without problem.

They are symbol ^ on world map and on local map. Look for the red colour in only a single square. (note - red sand looks similar, but will be bigger areas)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 03:10:37 pm by Reelyanoob »

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 03:12:10 pm »

Ah, okay. Now I am coming across some volcano spots on the region map (thats the right of the 3 maps, right?), but no red square in the local map (lefternmost). I assume that means that the top of the volcano is underground when that happens... I've currently got volcanism and volcanoes set to 10, I'll try upping it some more.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 03:15:12 pm »

Nope, you're supposed to be looking at the middle one.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 03:21:59 pm »

Hm, I wonder if my computer just hates volcanos.. it crashes when I try to embark (after choosing all my stuff), though works fine on any other tile. Mutter...

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 03:34:29 pm »

If you're doing custom worldgens, play around with:

[VOLCANO_MIN:50]

(That's the number I use on a small map, but I also tend to get a few hundred rejections before I get a good region gen...)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 04:02:39 pm »

The red wavy line squares are definitely on the left one, Carets (^) are on middle and right panels. Use the wavy lines to hone in on the exact volcano location, and the carets to pick the rough area.

@ Zeranamu : try to gen few worlds, see if they all have the embark problem.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 04:06:00 pm »

The red wavy line squares are definitely on the left one, Carets (^) are on middle and right panels. Use the wavy lines to hone in on the exact volcano location, and the carets to pick the rough area.

@ Zeranamu : try to gen few worlds, see if they all have the embark problem.

I guess it doesn't help that I didn't mention I'm using a graphics tileset (Phoebus), lol...

Yeah, I genned another world and it let me embark on the volcano, then the volcano collapsed immediately and halted my FPS (100 to 1 in about 10 seconds), so I'm trying again. But that is what I thought, I need to be over the 'red' square in the lefternmost window, while the middle and right let me 'home in' on the location... problem is I'm finding a lot of places that say they're volcano, but have no red tile in the left window, which to me says that the top of the volcano is actually underground, but I don't know.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 04:42:10 pm »

Ooh - i love volcano cave-ins! I gen water right next to volcanos just to get something like this. You just need to give the embark time to sort it out - don't throw the save away! The reason it's so slow is that the cave-in material (probably newly caste obsidian) is caving-in all the way down the z-levels of the volcano to the magma sea. Once this is over, it should be perfectly normal and fast.

Volcanos on the map are always surface btw, they may be a sunken pool 1-z-level below the ground level though, if you're lucky. That's my favourite combo, i divert river water into them for instant obsidian and magma forges. The map itself did this once for me as a couple of murky pools were spawned crossing over into a sunken volcano. There were cave-ins and the pool water obsidianized half the surface of the volcano at embark. I diverted river water in to finish the job, and made a lake over the volcano / magma forges.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:50:18 pm by Reelyanoob »