Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kennel problems  (Read 3459 times)

Kennel problems
« on: April 23, 2011, 02:05:05 pm »

I'm currently playing the newest version of Dwarf Fortress, 31.25.
And I'm encountering problems when I try to train a war animal (War Dog), I clearly have an animal available for training.
The message I get is this; "Stukos Athelalnis, Animal Dissector cancels Train War Animal: No creature."

I bet there's an easy solution, but, whatever it is, I can't figure it out... I've also been looking around the wiki, to see if it was a possible bug, but it doesn't seem to be, so please help me, I really need those War Elephants

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kennel problems
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 02:15:50 pm »

I have exactly the same problem. I brought a bunch of wolves with me on embark and my dumbass ranger can't train them.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 02:19:53 pm »

I think it's to do with the [PET: EXOTIC] tag. Change it to regular [PET].
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 02:21:59 pm »

Are they owned pets? Are they designated at [TRAINABLE] in the raws?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 02:23:09 pm »

Thats what I was going to ask. ;)  Are you training a dog, and if so, is it someone's pet already?  If it is not a dog, what is it?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 02:28:42 pm »

The wiki claims that in .25 grizzly bears can be trained as war bears at a kennel.  I just bought a caged grizzly from some pointy-eared types which they say is tame.  But Train War Animal at the kennel came up empty. 

Can someone link to a primer on checking/editing the raws, or is there another explanation than [TRAINABLE:???]?
Randy...
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 02:29:21 pm »

Are they owned pets? Are they designated at [TRAINABLE] in the raws?

The animals I'm trying to train are dogs and elephants, and no, they're not owned by any of my dwarfs. Also, I looked it over, and it is set as [TRAINABLE]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 02:39:29 pm by Dwarven-dungeon-master »
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 02:47:04 pm »

I have the solution, it does not have anything to do with the RAW files. Just remove the animal you want to train from the Pen/Pesture zone, and it should be trainable, worked for me :)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 02:51:27 pm »

That or remove it from teh cage you purchased it in.  Can't play with your new toy if it is still in teh box it arrived in. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 02:58:39 pm »

The wiki claims that in .25 grizzly bears can be trained as war bears at a kennel.  I just bought a caged grizzly from some pointy-eared types which they say is tame.  But Train War Animal at the kennel came up empty. 

Can someone link to a primer on checking/editing the raws, or is there another explanation than [TRAINABLE:???]?

But did you release him from the cage first?

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 02:59:33 pm »

He's pastured.  I'll try removing him from that.
Randy...

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 03:02:52 pm »

I have the solution, it does not have anything to do with the RAW files. Just remove the animal you want to train from the Pen/Pesture zone, and it should be trainable, worked for me :)

Woot!  Newbies helping newbies for the win!  This was perfect.  Thanks very much.  I now have a sweet War Bear. 

Better to assign him to a marksdwarf or an infantrydwarf, I wonder?
Randy...

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 03:04:45 pm »

If you plan to have your marksdwarves up in the front lines with the infantry, then give it to one of them. If you're going to put them safely behind fortifications, then give it to an infantrydwarf.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 03:07:32 pm »

If you plan to have your marksdwarves up in the front lines with the infantry, then give it to one of them. If you're going to put them safely behind fortifications, then give it to an infantrydwarf.

Or better yet, don't assign it.

Designate one of your infantry as the trainer and they'll tend to follow him around.  The difference is, when they die, he won't get all sad about losing a pet.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 03:09:02 pm »

Nothing's ever simple, is it?  I go select my militia commander to give him a bad ass pet for his months of exemplary service training my dorfs.  Uh, yeah, there are 7 war animals available.  And since there's no way to select a specific one, nor any way to unassign a war animal after assigning it, it's pretty much a crap shoot who's going to get the bear.  That sucks.
Randy...
Pages: [1] 2