Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: I just had the nerdiest thought ever.  (Read 5128 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: I just had the nerdiest thought ever.
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 05:38:48 pm »

So many interesting thoughts in this thread!

Okay, my example of "Real Warp" really doesn't mean "Faster Than Light".  From the perspective of the rest of the universe, you've been traveling towards your destination at 0.99c or thereabouts.  So when you "de-warp" it may seem to have taken a very short time to get from point A (we'll say Earth) to point B (we'll say Proxima Centauri).

At 0.99c, time would be slowed down for the traveler by a factor of approximately 1:10.  Which means that 4 year trip (assuming instantaneous acceleration) only took around 5 months for the traveler.  But when arriving, 4 years will still have passed.  The signals those travelers would then receive when they trained their sensors back to their destination on Earth would be from shortly after their departure.  However, the situation on Proxima Centauri would appear to have advanced by no less than 8 years, relative to what they saw before they embarked.

So it's by no means FTL travel from an absolute standpoint, only a relative one in that the passengers did not experience the full span of time when they were traveling from A to B.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 11:46:43 pm »

This is definitely the reason dwarf fortress was made; to incite scientific discussion about the effects of low FPS in the universe.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 12:18:57 am »

This is definitely the reason dwarf fortress was made; to incite scientific discussion about the effects of low FPS in the universe.
Quite fascinating isn't it?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 03:07:35 am »

I'm sorry, my connection suffered low FPS (though the rest of the world, and me, did not, it was so frustrating).

(Jeoshua: not FTL from any standpoint, then, just boringly old relativistic. :) )

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 04:36:00 am »

Well we know the universe must have half decent FPS, because we haven't abandoned it yet.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 04:58:11 am »

Where to go when we decide to abandon?

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 12:11:06 pm »

Actually, as the universe is expanding then the fps* becomes better and better, assuming any kind of simplifications are used(ignore gravity between particles further than X meters, cull particles not observable anymore, etc.).

Alternatively, they could be using JIT compilation or another optimization techniques (look at Golly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life#Notable_Life_programs ), which means that eventually the program itself will evolve to be able to generate world at any state with just two values: seed and time since universe creation, which means that time flow will become an obsolete concept. Not that we will notice it anyway, though :p

*We have no idea what time units are used in the world where simulation is being held, therefore let's rather use term frames per time unit(fptu)
I don't need a signature.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 12:22:32 pm »

Actually, observable evidence is that extremely small influences are NOT ignored, or culled in any way.

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2011, 02:06:09 pm »

Well, they always could be approximated, and that would be way harder to observe.
I don't need a signature.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2011, 04:22:08 pm »

Well, they always could be approximated, and that would be way harder to observe.
Somewhere below Planck lengths, with the "frames" in the fps (or 'fptu') being below Planck time, I would suggest.

In such a situation.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2011, 05:24:29 pm »

That's quite a resolution.

For a visceral sense of planck scale, imagine the size of an atom.  That atom is the planck length.  Now imagine the size of the orbit of pluto.... that's the size of an atom.

So Planck is to Atom as Atom is to Pluto's Orbit.

:o

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 03:22:19 pm »

{Interesting Train of Thought})
Now take the simulations we run of our universe and its laws.
Take how a computer would track all of that information.
Let's say each world ran at least 5 simulations of that same world with a total of 5% the content of the one before it.
Now imagine running a simulation of a world in which they are technilogically advanced enough to run simulations.
Think about that following all the rules and guidelines above starting from our world.

If the universe had a RAM limit I think we just broke it, several times.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2011, 04:18:47 pm »

The important part for my statement of "Warp Speed" is that you don't notice it at all.  From the passenger's perspective, everything in the ship is happening at a normal speed.
And therefore you can travel for a thousand years and it'd be a year for you and, well, no offence, but that's only the basis of every sci-fi thing that doesn't allow some sort of FTL travel, as well as the twin scenario and otherwise being fairly obvious. Which is why I didn't mention it.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 05:11:49 pm »

Well, if we are lagging and we don't notice, I'm just afraid somebody that does notice is going to start culling humanity to get decent FPS.
Who do you think is ordering all of the wars?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5