Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 586467 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #3825 on: August 04, 2014, 06:15:34 pm »

What's recommended? Playing the original Elona or going with Elona+?

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: August 04, 2014, 06:21:05 pm »

What's recommended? Playing the original Elona or going with Elona+?

Elona+.

While Elona+ is officially just a mod for Elona, it's become the de facto continuation of Elona's development since Elona was abandoned. It fixes a lot of bugs that Elona had and adds a ludicrous amount of content without altering the game's core vision.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: August 05, 2014, 11:21:38 am »

I'm tempted to get into this again, but it's time to admit I have a problem.

I'm really bad at Elona. Or at least I seem to not understand how to be good at combat in Elona. I start off fine, I can do the puppy cave and even the slime quest in Vernis eventually, though with difficulty, but once I get to the second or third tier of enemies I die constantly. I'm not sure if it's a matter of not grinding enough, bad equipment, or just picking a bad build, but it seems to happen every time I play. And then I see talk about getting to other continents and the endgame content and wonder how people even manage this. Most of my games end up with me just doing farming and delivery quests while avoiding any combat quests, random encounters, or dungeons with a level above 5.

So in the spirit of trying again, could anyone advise me on a good build to use and maybe some starting goals to aim for to become decently powerful? Assume I'm not interested in using the moongate trick for massive amounts of gold.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: August 05, 2014, 12:10:16 pm »

First if you're playing normal Elona, get an upgrade to Elona+. I personally would never have been able to do all this cool stuff on normal Elona. I don't know exactly what it is that makes Elona+ so much more accessible to me, but.. it just is. So here are some tips:

I recommend Juere Claymore, as it starts off with a lot of the useful skills like Greater Evasion and Eye of Mind. You could just as easily change that to Warrior if you're more interested in heavy armor. (A bunch of the nicer things like seven league boots and cloaks of vindale, while not necessary, give a lot more DV than PV, so I've traditionally gone light.) Pianists are easy in the sense that you don't have to do anything, but you don't really gain much more skill from standing around and having a pet cut things up for you. Do you need any help on choosing feats?

Focus on getting a nice weapon and some armor. Try not to fight until you can fill all your body slots with good stuff, generally things of metal, steel, etc. If you feel really fancy, you can even go for stuff like chrome, titanium, emerald, diamond, or rubynus. Change material scrolls (get a big stack and bless them) will be a huge help here, making terrible gear actually usable. You may have to invest in a few magic stores before you can get a super huge 30+ stack.

Just do miscellaneous quests and use the platinum to learn all the essential skills. (Cooking, Gardening, Traveling, Investing, etc) Gold will also flow in quickly this way. In general, don't buy stuff from blacksmiths as it's pretty bad. If you see a gear reward of the type you want (breastplate, longsword, panties, etc) grab it and identify it. Even if it's not a good material, you can reroll it. Be on the lookout for large amounts of resistance (### or more) and stat boosts (any are fine, though of course the relevant stats would be better). Unfortunately, this stage of the game lasts pretty long.

Don't feel the need to use only named artifacts, whether they be static (<Unknown Shell> kind of thing) or random. If you have just normal stuff with good boosts, use it.

Be on the lookout for blessed potions of restore body/mind. If you drink them, you'll get a pretty sizable stat boost. They're basically free stats (though they wear off when you die) so get them whenever you can.

Save the legitimate static quests for later. They can be really tough depending on the whim of the RNG. Puppy Cave could be filled with kobolds (surprisingly powerful against newbies), and the slimes in The Mine are nothing to mess with.

Very importantly, DO NOT DIE... you will lose money and stats, which is super bad. Always know when to escape. The best way to avoid death is to not do dangerous things until you're way overleveled, but that's also boring as heck.

And keep at it! It's taken me about 140 hours to get to where I am now on my strongest character. (65 Elea Wizard in case anyone cares)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: August 05, 2014, 01:09:43 pm »

To be honest my fastest successful character has been a farmer, just do the harvest time quests and you get the much needed money and plat coins early on as well as the seeds you can save for later. The only issue I can think of is it will level bloat you a bit initially as you will be training gardening quite a bit. What I'm doing is getting weight lifting first, then riding then look to branch out to what I'm actually wanting to do. Failing a harvest time quest only reduces fame which is useful for those types of quests since they get harder and give less rewards.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: August 12, 2014, 03:57:46 pm »

There are many ways to approach the game.
The more you play it the easier it gets. it has a similar skill curve as DF. You learn the required skills slowly, but need them quickly.
An example.
I am planning a golem character, because the only times i am killed it was because i somehow got dimmed.
Golems are the only way to not get dimmed. A golem has the downside of being very slow. to counteract that i would need to get lots of potions that add speed. these can be rarely gained from pots or traded in for medals. Luck increases that chance to get either.
to gain access to higher speed earlier, and not fall behind the curve of what speed i need to be reliable in combat i need to combat it by gaining luck earlier.
Therefore my current character is digging up whole forests for 4 leaf clovers and acorns.
Acorn - in large enough quantities - act almost like a permanent buff for luck: because they are very unfulfilling, weight 0.01,never rot and there exists a way to reliably gain them in large enough quantities you can bless a 10 stone stack (1000  pieces).
after creating a gene i still have to choose a race for my golem.
Since it's slow speed will make him vulnearable against fast enemies in the beginning i will want pets. Golem Pianist it is.
Once you have a nice source character consider preserving him or her for easy access to new characters. Even if you just want genes for other modes, like overdose.

Knowledge about certain monsters is also important, for example: Early bells can be killed by throwing a dye or poison at them. The splitting monsters in the underground area in vernis can be used to train for quite a bit - Just send your pet away, and hit the highest health ones without killing them. then leave the place. they will be in the last room and healed when you return. Hungry sea lions will eat food from your inventory - this includes caramel of termination.

if you find some new monster don't be afraid to look it up on the wiki.

I still like wearing "disturbs your Growth" equipment, because i remember the classic elona, where it was really useful.

now, since my main character is well equipped he has 2 "sucks blood of the wielder" # and ## rings for training healing and 2 "summons monsters" ####+ rings for training pets.

all in all i want 4 deeds of heirship to get my standard equipment and food on the next toon. i will usually do this by puppy cave diving. after taking out the thieves and training for a bit outside of vernis.

If you plan on having lots of pets consider getting the knockout feat. it gives you a move that will damage but not kill enemies, like false swipe in pokémon games ....
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: August 16, 2014, 04:31:34 pm »

Is there a point to the riding skill ever? I've tried it on so many characters but it always results in my guy just getting weaker and almost always slower.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: August 16, 2014, 04:50:37 pm »

Some people love it. I personally don't bother. You'll probably need more riding skill and maybe a better mount to go any faster than you can on foot.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: August 16, 2014, 04:55:44 pm »

Is there a point to the riding skill ever? I've tried it on so many characters but it always results in my guy just getting weaker and almost always slower.
You can ride little girls. That alone makes it worth it  ;D
._.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: August 16, 2014, 05:30:07 pm »

Try a horse(not a lame horse though), it will probably be slower then normal initially, however you will get higher and higher speed as the skill goes up. It will cap out at the speed cap of whatever mount your using but in elona+ it can go pretty high.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: August 16, 2014, 05:38:36 pm »

The key with riding is to put all the speed boosts on the mount rather than the player.  Which does help, as the player doesn't have to load up on glass gear anymore, and can use the more defense-oriented materials instead.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: August 16, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »

How many allies do you guys take with you when you go into dungeons?

I currently have four and that feels like too many; one always gets lost through pathing issues and with two ranged, the two melee don't get close to anything unless its a target rich area.  Getting rid of one of the ranged seems like the way to go at the moment.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: August 16, 2014, 07:49:58 pm »

I've invested in a Girl's Diary now that I've finally got enough medals to buy it from Miral and Garok's. At Lv17, this is actually the farthest I've gotten in Elona, plus or not. Is there an easy way to train up a new Lv1 pet? I was just going to dive up and down the Puppy Cave a few dozen times and let her kill everything.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: August 16, 2014, 08:03:21 pm »

Gene engineering is the quickest way for stats and levels, as long as you keep the potentials up. Skills you're probably stuck with active use. There's always the dojo if you have a shitton of money and time.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: August 16, 2014, 08:24:02 pm »

So, can someone point me to latest mostly translated version?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 291