Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 567169 times)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #1185 on: October 20, 2011, 01:30:38 am »

Guess I could go and bless a bunch of milks and grow up. And weight gain seems odd to me, I've been at like 5kg forever, though I did start at 3. Though my other chars seemed to gain and lose weight a lot more easily. My guess would be it's a function of the height. Used to be like 36 cm and after I drank a couple blessed milks off the ground and grew up some, the weight increased shortly after. Not that any of that matters, as far as I know the height and weight of the char are just fluff.

It's kind of wierd to have 2 different weight systems in game but meh. As far as I know "stones" was an old british unit of measure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_%28imperial_mass%29

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 20, 2011, 01:41:30 am »

EDIT: "I want to give my son [dead fish] for his birthday..." Wow, aren't you such a caring father.
It's better than "I want to give my uncle/son/father/whatever [worthless fake gold bar]/[shit]/[vomit]".

Which is better than the "My father is sick" quests where the "father" is actually female.

Which is all better than "I want whoever's [corpse]".

And when you trade for the corpse you found it cursed and rotten. Then you hand it over, and they promptly eat it and die as a result.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 20, 2011, 01:55:13 am »

...or you can keep entering and leaving the puppy cave until you see a gun on the ground near the entrance (Note this is also a very good way to farm spellbooks early on).

While this is good advice, in the most recent official beta (not tried the bugfix versions people have posted, so I can't confirm if that's changed), I have noticed that repeatedly going up and down stairs drains a small amount of stamina.

On another note, I loaded this up, checked what character I had won with.
L18, Dwarf Farmer.
Starting Class means nothing in this game, ultimately, and race is more of a convenience thing than anything.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 20, 2011, 01:58:50 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:36:55 am by Ogdibus »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 20, 2011, 06:25:35 am »

While this is good advice, in the most recent official beta (not tried the bugfix versions people have posted, so I can't confirm if that's changed), I have noticed that repeatedly going up and down stairs drains a small amount of stamina.
It happens in every version. Using the stairs always drains a little stamina. If your stamina gets low just Shift+R[est] a little. If your stamina is very low you'll fall down or roll up (yeah...) some stairs.

Tip: You can find things like dead fish, wood piece, broken vase in the wilderness.
Tip 2: To increase your Weight Lifting skill you actually have to be 'Burdened'. If you become 'Burdened!' or heavier it won't affect the rate which it's trained. Formula of weight limit: 45 + (Strength/2) + (Constitution/4) + (Weight Lifting*2)
Tip 3: Always carry some gems with you. Most item quests ask for these and they aren't very heavy.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 20, 2011, 12:04:50 pm »

...or you can keep entering and leaving the puppy cave until you see a gun on the ground near the entrance (Note this is also a very good way to farm spellbooks early on).

On another note, I loaded this up, checked what character I had won with.
L18, Dwarf Farmer.
Starting Class means nothing in this game, ultimately, and race is more of a convenience thing than anything.

Yup, stairs in the christmas version of 1.16 do the same. The drain has always been negligible to me. And when you do get tired, you just take a few turns to rest. With enough patience and grinding any race/class combo can be made into a god, even the snail/tourist. The main thing is which race feats do you want, as you can't obtain those without being that race.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:45 pm »

I stand corrected.
Though I have memories of extended periods scumming stairs in one of the versions in the puppy cave for books, I can't trust memories that're potentially years old by now to exactly be accurate.

The Chaos forts are all I had left to beat, it seems.
The undead one I had handled, but the other two were a little beyond that character last I recall trying.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: October 20, 2011, 12:59:21 pm »

With enough patience and grinding any race/class combo can be made into a god.
I agree.
The best race seems to be Yerles though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:04 pm »

I agree.

While I do think that feat is great for reducing grinding, it's not exactly helpful once you get past it. I would think that either Golem or Fairy would be the best race, with mutant up there if you don't mind scumming or randomness, since those three add abilities that are typically unobtainable in any other way.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 20, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:38:26 am by Ogdibus »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 20, 2011, 02:15:15 pm »

When using several scrolls of inferior material to convert a very nice axe i found thanks to a treasure map but that was way too heavy to use for my Fairy, i noticed that during the conversion process it went from bronze to silver, like if silver was of lower quality than bronze.

Is that really true in Elona, a silver item is of lower material quality than a bronze one ? or is that some 1.22 bug ?

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 20, 2011, 02:22:11 pm »

When using several scrolls of inferior material to convert a very nice axe i found thanks to a treasure map but that was way too heavy to use for my Fairy, i noticed that during the conversion process it went from bronze to silver, like if silver was of lower quality than bronze.

Is that really true in Elona, a silver item is of lower material quality than a bronze one ? or is that some 1.22 bug ?

Scrolls of inferior material do not explicitly transmute equipment into a material that is directly inferior to its current material. Rather, they randomly transmute it into a "inferior" material.

See this list.

Silver is actually better than bronze.

I stand corrected.
Though I have memories of extended periods scumming stairs in one of the versions in the puppy cave for books, I can't trust memories that're potentially years old by now to exactly be accurate.

I am quite certain that using stairs did not always cost stamina.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:23:59 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 20, 2011, 02:35:42 pm »

I agree.

While I do think that feat is great for reducing grinding, it's not exactly helpful once you get past it. I would think that either Golem or Fairy would be the best race, with mutant up there if you don't mind scumming or randomness, since those three add abilities that are typically unobtainable in any other way.
Golem, Fairy are... extreme races. In all my characters I pretty much try to do a little bit of everything. I got most of the skills with my current character.

When the cost of training a potential increases to 15-20 coins, that extra point can come in handy.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 20, 2011, 02:50:49 pm »

Scrolls of inferior material do not explicitly transmute equipment into a material that is directly inferior to its current material. Rather, they randomly transmute it into a "inferior" material.

See this list.

So that's a bug then that the inferior material scroll transmuted bronze into silver (then the silver was transmuted into raw after that, raw the Fairy could then use), as from that list, silver is NOT an "inferior" material

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: October 20, 2011, 02:58:17 pm »

See this list.

So that's a bug then that the inferior material scroll transmuted bronze into silver (then the silver was transmuted into raw after that, raw the Fairy could then use), as from that list, silver is NOT an "inferior" material

Man, I'm just going back to 1.16 xmas version. Tiny and confusing bugs are the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 291