Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 586486 times)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #3915 on: September 10, 2014, 12:20:45 pm »

Looked at this game.  Reminded me of expanded nethack with a graphcs pack..
a japanized extended nethack with a graphics pack and no permadeath.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: September 10, 2014, 05:42:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure Elona+ has an optional permadeath mode though, named "Inferno".
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: September 13, 2014, 05:56:13 am »

For the purpose of grinding skills, does item bonuses to said skill make it harder to gain?
Say that I have a lot of literacy bonus from items, that would mean i can read harder books and fail less. but at the same time, would it mean that I get less xp per book?
Though, I do not know if there's more xp for a hard book than an easy one, or if it's only depending on the turns it takes to read one.

Also, Magic arrow is standard, but i thought i'd get one more arrow spell, but at the moment it seems that the damage would be the same and that it would just be a question on what effect I'd like it to have. Or which resistance is the rarest.
At face value it seems that nerve or nether would be the best ones to pick, Though i do not know how common it is for monsters to be immune to paralysis.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: September 13, 2014, 06:37:06 am »

Dropping in here real quick, but wondering whether elona+ ever got an English translation? Seemed like it added a lot of features, but language barriers are an issue.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: September 13, 2014, 08:52:07 am »

You can play e+ just fine. Anything usefull that is not translated will be described in detail on the wiki

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: September 13, 2014, 05:59:06 pm »

Also, Magic arrow is standard, but i thought i'd get one more arrow spell, but at the moment it seems that the damage would be the same and that it would just be a question on what effect I'd like it to have. Or which resistance is the rarest.
At face value it seems that nerve or nether would be the best ones to pick, Though i do not know how common it is for monsters to be immune to paralysis.
I would go with:
Dark Arrow - while there is lots of resistance against it it gives the blind debuff. therefore it is really useful to improve your survival chance against non magic attackers.
Chaos - all status effects. Dim, stunned, blind, drunk - but rather difficult to read books of iirc.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: September 13, 2014, 07:23:11 pm »

I would use darkness or nerve. I'm 99% sure those have better scaling. You can still use them all for different situations. I'm sure you already know what the different elements do but here's a quick recap.

Darkness: Blinds. Very VERY helpful against ranged attackers, moderately helpful against melee.
Nerve: Paralyzes. My personal favorite. Not everything will always be paralyzed obviously.
Nether: Heals you. I think nether resistance is a little more common, but then again everything starts getting resistances to everything.
Chaos: Blinds, paralyzes, poisons, sleeps, and confuses (no dim/drunk, that's probably insanity/unsteady he's referring to). Hardest to read, but same damage scaling.

All of those resistances get lowered by Nightmare, so definitely learn that too.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: September 14, 2014, 12:49:05 am »

Is the blind hex longer than paralysis? Otherwise it seems to me that having the victim standing still would be better than randomly walking around.
According to the wiki, only nether arrow has a different damage calculation so that means they all have the same damage.
Chaos seems a bit too random and one have to take care around spellcasters so they do not summon more.

I guess it boils down to wether blind is harder to resist, less immunes or hex for longer.
Spellcost might come into consideration but it no big difference and its better to not to be cheap.

Now i've gotten to 40 faith, im going to try for the god grind items. Correct me if im wrong, but i'll have to summon the god to the truce grounds or wish for a god. no other way, yes? If I summon one at the truce grounds, does it only stay around for a month or for the whole year and does it cost faith points to summon so I'll have to sacrifice more before I can get the item?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: September 14, 2014, 12:58:02 am »

There's no actual blindness hex. I'm fairly sure blindness lasts longer than paralysis. I'm also fairly sure the different non-magic-dart arrow spells have the same costs (except chaos).

Yes, you'll have to summon them. I think you can only summon with more than 4k faith so if you just prayed for the final gift, you have to sacrifice a bit more to get past 4k again. Not sure, consult wikia discussion if needed.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: September 14, 2014, 01:10:06 am »

I'm also fairly sure the different non-magic-dart arrow spells have the same costs (except chaos).
Now that I am back by the computer i could check and at low level its 8 for nether and 10 for the others. chaos is slightly harder to cast but that shouldn't matter as one gets 100% soon anyway.

I think you can only summon with more than 4k faith so if you just prayed for the final gift, you have to sacrifice a bit more to get past 4k again. Not sure, consult wikia discussion if needed.
Yes, one needs the same faith as for the god weapon to summon, But I couldn't find if it costs faith to summon or not, which was what I asked. And do they stay around only until one exit the area, until November is over or until next November, which is when one can summon another god.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: September 14, 2014, 07:35:48 pm »

Oh, I meant gold costs for the books.

For summoning, you could always wizard mode and test it out. Sorry, I don't know anything.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: September 15, 2014, 12:47:29 am »

To summon, go to truce grounds in november and pray on appropriate altar. When he arrives, talk to him. He drops final item. I think you need a total of 4600 faith to summon, then talk to get the last item. Wiki is poorly written and doesnt explain it well.

You can summon 1 god per year. So to get all items you meed 7 game years.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: September 15, 2014, 12:49:23 am »

Dropping in here real quick, but wondering whether elona+ ever got an English translation? Seemed like it added a lot of features, but language barriers are an issue.

You will need to check the wiki to see what npcs are saying. Its not translated. Wiki tells you what it means.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: September 15, 2014, 08:23:58 am »

I started playing the latest version of Elona+, as a fairy archer. The early game's super painful, having no usable weapons, until I finally found a paper shuriken in shop, then it's more bearable.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: September 16, 2014, 04:55:53 pm »

So I've gotten back into this yet again, but I'm not sure what to do with my character.

He's a level 27 magey-type, as you can see. I haven't started the main quest yet because I'm hell-bent on getting the King of Palmia's card and figurine. (Naturally, I have no clue how I'm going to manage that one...) I recently found my second blue capsule from the rogues, and it's towards the end of november in my game. So, I'm hopelessly trying to scum a third one up in time to get the Kaneda Bike but I'm having no luck so far.

That said, I could try to be productive and at least do some trading as I go. It's probably better to wait until next year. If I'm not mistaken there are only three penalties for wasting time...

1. More bills to pay. However, right now my salary exceeds my taxes, so ironically this would help me make money.
2. The etherwind. I have a decent stockpile of cure corruption potions though.
3. Ranks degrading in the arena and such. If I put the effort in it won't be too hard to maintain those.

So unless I'm missing something, it's totally fine to spend an entire game year screwing around with trading, hoping for rogues to show up?
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 291