Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 567253 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #3540 on: September 18, 2013, 02:04:12 pm »

You get AP for beating things higher level then you. You also get AP for beating things faster then you. You gain double AP for killing something stronger and faster than you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: September 18, 2013, 02:27:11 pm »

Ah, so that is what that means.  Does it count as if I have lower speed if I kill things while +burdened?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: September 18, 2013, 02:40:55 pm »

Oh... maybe. Twas so long ago. I think speed ap is gotten when that yellow electric bolt/heartbeat moniter/type thingy appears above your head along with a sound effect. So just watch for that when you kill things to test it. (blue bolt is something stronger than you AP)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: September 18, 2013, 07:13:03 pm »

Huh, I always thought the yellow effect was for being really badass and killing something a lot stronger than you, as I usually got it with a blue effect at the same time. The more you know, I guess.

And AP gain isn't really known about in great detail. I still get AP from bards who are level 16 while I'm level 18, so it's probably not ONLY based on level but also stats/skills, perhaps.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: September 20, 2013, 10:35:31 am »

this post is about elona+

questions:
1. according to the wiki you only use AP with 1 mob right? I think its in south tyris?
2. is there a way to tell my npcs which skills to get in elona+?
3. are there any other mods that go well with elona+? any special instructions to install them with elona+
4. when I went to the area where you trade medals, there are 2 NPCs. one female one that you get give medals to in exchange for stuff and a male one. he has 2 lines and both ask if you have medals. from what I can see this changes the name of an item to 'no name' and I cant figure out what its doing. is just a bug or something?
5. anyone use the doujou to train npcs? is this effective?

comments/tips:

1. farm is better  and you can use it at low levels. you can drop rottable food in the compost pit and come back in a few days. you get organize fertilizer (you can stack it so your npcs dont eat it and it all eventually turns into compost). plant a really difficult seed. drop compost and poof automatically grows. you dont need high level gardening to grow hard seeds. i do not know if gardening or fame affect the quality of item you get from artifact or gem seeds, but you dont need skill if you have compost. note, you dont make compost that fast, so its still worth it to raise gardening. gardening goes up really fast so you really dont need to invest any potential in it.

2. swimming is a nice skill in elona+ it raises your speed. you can train it by walking in ponds in the city. it also makes dirty water useful. just throw it and walk on it to get wet. being wet makes you faster. keep a couple dirty water on you to get wet as needed.

3. you need to pick up more skills if you craft since you need skills to get material from sampling spots. these are also good to have since they train attributes while getting stuff. go to wiki to see which ones you need for which. they train very quickly and you fail alot less often with them when gathering. crafting is better too since you can make more stuff.

4. if you find a pot of fusion (rare find) , store it somewhere so you dont lose it. great way to get lots more bottles of water that you can bless and bless items with. see wiki for ingredients and what else you can make

5. japanese wiki has new prices for cargo. some names are different but you can figure it out. use chrome to translate for you.

6. using scrolls of inferior materials on blessed items has a good chance of getting you short term bonuses to training attriubtes. not 100%. so if you see a cheap blessed item in a shop with a maintain stat or increases, but it and make it raw. eat in a dungeon. makes training better. you can craft with jeweller and get plenty of ingredients in the puppy cave. if you have curse scrolls drop everything first other then inferior scrolls. curse your inferior scrolls. increases odds of turning items raw with few uses.

7. there are alot more skills that train just by doing stuff. so you are better off doing lots of jobs to get these skills instead of investing in potentials of others. raises attributes faster. swimming by just getting wet, travelling trains alot of stuff, detection trains by gathering (so do others). so early on go for more skills instead of potentials. can be grindy.

8. use every rod you find once you ge tmagical devices. this trains it. appears that rods with 0 charges sell for the same price as rods with many charges. not throwing potions trains both throwing and magical devices. magical devices is critical to getting pets using rod of domination (can exchange for small medal or get from a quest).

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: September 20, 2013, 04:33:04 pm »

1. The AP trainer is "Black Gauntlet Leold" in the Refugee Camp in South Tyris.
2. Unfortunately no, at best you can use gene engineer to GIVE them specific skills, but you can't remove them or tell them what to focus on.
3. Currently, the only mods that work with Elona without learning things like HSP are graphic and music mods. Elona+ is a standalone mod.
4. Miral and Garok's workshop? Miral is the one you talk to for trading medals. Garok's ability is to reforge items, which doesn't work right yet.
5. AFAIK it's only real use is to let you bypass your pet limit. I haven't seen any significant gains from it.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: September 20, 2013, 04:45:29 pm »

Bold is my own.
this post is about elona+

questions:
1. according to the wiki you only use AP with 1 mob right? I think its in south tyris?
Yes. This means you cannot use AP until you have beaten Zeome.
2. is there a way to tell my npcs which skills to get in elona+?
No. The skills just go up as they please.
3. are there any other mods that go well with elona+? any special instructions to install them with elona+
No. Elona+ is its own thing AFAIK.
4. when I went to the area where you trade medals, there are 2 NPCs. one female one that you get give medals to in exchange for stuff and a male one. he has 2 lines and both ask if you have medals. from what I can see this changes the name of an item to 'no name' and I cant figure out what its doing. is just a bug or something?
I'm pretty sure Miral and Garok are both guys, but other than that I have no comments
5. anyone use the doujou to train npcs? is this effective?
Once again, no comment. I've never used it.

comments/tips:

1. farm is better  and you can use it at low levels. you can drop rottable food in the compost pit and come back in a few days. you get organize fertilizer (you can stack it so your npcs dont eat it and it all eventually turns into compost). plant a really difficult seed. drop compost and poof automatically grows. you dont need high level gardening to grow hard seeds. i do not know if gardening or fame affect the quality of item you get from artifact or gem seeds, but you dont need skill if you have compost. note, you dont make compost that fast, so its still worth it to raise gardening. gardening goes up really fast so you really dont need to invest any potential in it.
That's a good tip. I waited to raise my gardening up to about 14 through Harvest Time quests before planting anything. It should also be possible to train cooking at the same time by planting fruits/veggies, cooking them, and then dropping the food on the piles. Not sure on that though, since I've had a couple dishes of rotten food on there for awhile (though other rotten food became compost???)

2. swimming is a nice skill in elona+ it raises your speed. you can train it by walking in ponds in the city. it also makes dirty water useful. just throw it and walk on it to get wet. being wet makes you faster. keep a couple dirty water on you to get wet as needed.
Also works in the rain. I kinda like the image of your character swimming through raindrops to move faster than walking.

3. you need to pick up more skills if you craft since you need skills to get material from sampling spots. these are also good to have since they train attributes while getting stuff. go to wiki to see which ones you need for which. they train very quickly and you fail alot less often with them when gathering. crafting is better too since you can make more stuff.
This is true. The gathering skills are (I think) Gardening for plant spots, Mining for rock spots, Fishing for pools, and Detection (works for  more than one type). And production is a lot better. Hooray carpentry lightsabers.

4. if you find a pot of fusion (rare find) , store it somewhere so you dont lose it. great way to get lots more bottles of water that you can bless and bless items with. see wiki for ingredients and what else you can make
These aren't that difficult to find in general stores, actually. But yeah, salt solution + wood chip (junk item) + rod of fire wall = water.
5. japanese wiki has new prices for cargo. some names are different but you can figure it out. use chrome to translate for you.
Dunno about this, don't really trade cargo.
6. using scrolls of inferior materials on blessed items has a good chance of getting you short term bonuses to training attriubtes. not 100%. so if you see a cheap blessed item in a shop with a maintain stat or increases, but it and make it raw. eat in a dungeon. makes training better. you can craft with jeweller and get plenty of ingredients in the puppy cave. if you have curse scrolls drop everything first other then inferior scrolls. curse your inferior scrolls. increases odds of turning items raw with few uses.
You can do this on stuff with resistances to get the resistance too IIRC.
7. there are alot more skills that train just by doing stuff. so you are better off doing lots of jobs to get these skills instead of investing in potentials of others. raises attributes faster. swimming by just getting wet, travelling trains alot of stuff, detection trains by gathering (so do others). so early on go for more skills instead of potentials. can be grindy.
Yes. It's better to get all the skills like Eye of Mind, Greater Evasion, Two Hand and stuff like that because you're always training them. But you still do need to get potentials... just after.
8. use every rod you find once you ge tmagical devices. this trains it. appears that rods with 0 charges sell for the same price as rods with many charges. not throwing potions trains both throwing and magical devices. magical devices is critical to getting pets using rod of domination (can exchange for small medal or get from a quest).
Good idea. I never really use rods, as I've been saving them for Itzpalt. He does take 0 charge ones though so I should.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: September 20, 2013, 08:02:56 pm »

Just found out I could use Squeeze on myself.

Probably a bug, but the implications...

Sidenote: Throwing snow on yourself also gets you wet, and you can get it by going to a snowy wilderness area and pressing "g"et without an item on the ground. Doing so takes a bit of stamina but can be done endlessly otherwise.

Being wet also increases your fire resistance at the cost of decreasing your lightning resistance.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:31:50 pm by Blaze »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: September 20, 2013, 09:36:58 pm »

Throwing any potion makes whoever steps in the puddle wet. So instead of just drinking a potion of healing, you could throw it on yourself and speed up as well! (that's actually a good idea.. provided you can't miss the tile directly under you) Another somewhat well-known use for throwing potions is to make invisible creatures visible, and in Elona+, to prevent self-destructing creatures from exploding.

Also, speaking of Squeeze, how do you get it? I've leveled up a few times with 40+ strength, so that should have unlocked it; yet all I have is Rubbing.

And for a completely unrelated note, Preaching is bugged and causes a crash. I'm pretty sure it's useless right now anyway though.

Aaaand 1.28 is out. The changelog hasn't been translated, nor has the wiki page of Elona+ been updated, but looks like it adds jukeboxes (somewhat like music discs? they're definitely related) and some other stuff I can't understand through Google Translate. Here it is in Japanese, and here's the Google Translated version.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: September 27, 2013, 12:30:18 am »

Sorry for doublepost and bump, but any tips on weakening monsters to catch them with balls/sandbags? I want to replicate alway's heroic magic grind, but I always end up killing stuff on accident. Not to mention the silver cat quest.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: September 27, 2013, 01:02:09 am »

rod of summon monsters in your house then use a low level magic(or melee it if your a mage) then sandbag it.

On a side note...what is this profile system that has been added?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: September 27, 2013, 05:15:35 am »

Sorry for doublepost and bump, but any tips on weakening monsters to catch them with balls/sandbags? I want to replicate alway's heroic magic grind, but I always end up killing stuff on accident. Not to mention the silver cat quest.

Squeezing deals damage, but not too much to kill critters if you are a mage. You could always try ditching your pets and going out to punch wildlife and weaken them that way, too. Poisons don't deal all that much damage (Percent-based? idk) so throwing them at weak citters could be viable. Just make sure you punch them first or something to bring up their health bar. I caught a baby fire dragon this way when I would normally 1-shot it.

That 'negates physical damage #####+' shield is amazing. I am not all that high levelled on the character that has it, but bomb throwers -creeps that can kill all my pets (some with stronger armour and more health than me) in one shot- takes about 6 more to do the same to me. I still get screwed over by mages but I have found a raw 'improves your magic resistance ####' katana that I could equip once I change the material.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: September 27, 2013, 12:37:31 pm »

Potions of poison and dye, plus save-scumming. Count how many turns it has to live after being poisoned.

Or buy weapons you don't usually use (thus low skill) from low level shops, and turn them into cloth/raw to further reduce the damage output.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: September 27, 2013, 01:29:29 pm »

been playing elona+ mod. i like it. its not really that hard because you get unlimited lives. what you lose on death isn't that bad.... you lose some stats. in elona+ you lose stats when you fail certain jobs, but its not that bad. i think in base elona monsters level with your level. in elona+ they level with fame. its harder to keep fame down becasue the elona method was to fail jobs. most failed jobs cause stats loss too. however failing at performances does not. so you can lose stats.

tip to playing elona+ on 'easy' mode.
1. get small medals (best way is to finish dungeons). you need 20. go here. trade for rod of domination. get magical device first. get a few levels. then use it on 'bells'. to make them your pets. give bells bullets and generic machine gun. i am level 28. i added those and its like playing one easy mode. i overload my cargo run into 3-4 rogue bosses each trip. i have several pets. most generic from slave master. opatos god pet and little girl. use the 'cheer' ability (from a feat) to make them faster. and they wipe them all out before i move.

2. you get seeds from harvest quests. get weightlifting. get gardening. do these. if you are failing early. dont bother to try to win. just garden as much as possible to get it up. being overweight will train strength so you can carry more. stash your seeds. when you get gold, buy a farm. put it right next to any town that has food maker stove. vernis and palmia are best. plant seeds. harvest crops. cook at food maker. sell. you will train cooking fast and get quite a bit of gold. i have 3 farms. do veggie and fruit until gardening at 20 only. other stuff dies. gems seeds make it trivial to gain favor with gods like opatos. stockpile herb seeds. these are the hardest. make sure to take rotten food and stock it in compost to make organice fertilizer. stockpile these until you are ready to use herb seeds then use them on the herbs. stockpile herbs. bless them. with 'pot for fusion' making bottles of water is easy. so you can bless lots of stuff. go to wiki for ingredients. pot for fusion is random drop. so may be a bit till you find one.

you will lose chr and willpower.

3. when you get faith to the 30s, you get 'preaching' ability. this is the one way you can really train faith to push to 40. so you can get the top god items. when you get this ability, take performance quests since alot of people around and use it there. you will get quite a bit of gold and fail job so it helps to keep your fame down. no stat loss for failing this.

do these and game gets alot easier. the bells are great. i was told at high elona+ levels (way down the road) you may need to switch to something else because HP is low. dont worry about it for a really long time...

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: September 27, 2013, 02:48:04 pm »

If you don't care about arena rank, you can accept a battle and give up repeatedly until you lose all the game you want.

There is a tiny robot maid that you can get as a pet which is significantly better than silver/gold bells. And then there are bells of emergency/termination...

Equipping bells with rubynus and equipment that boosts the life stat will massively increase their HP poo (Default 1).
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 291